Sign in to follow this  
alexwaston

Losing disk space why?

Have an Acer Aspire SW5-012 with 30 GB on board. Win 10 Home Ed. 32-bit. 1607 with latest updates as of yesterday.

For almost two months now my C: drive fills up for no apparent reason. I can run CCleaner to rid the excess stuff and it usually makes the machine useable again but it quickly fills back up again. Normally I have 1.2 GB free but it has often gone as low as 28 MB!?!?! free space! Don't know if I've been hacked, bugged, flimflammed or what! Windows Defender can't find anything, nor Avira, and I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

ps Even while typing this post it has gone from 1.02 GB down to 223 MB and locks things to the point where even the taskbar won't show all the icons on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

More: country ringtones downloadsms toneszedge ringtones download

Have an Acer Aspire SW5-012 with 30 GB on board. Win 10 Home Ed. 32-bit. 1607 with latest updates as of yesterday.

For almost two months now my C: drive fills up for no apparent reason. I can run CCleaner to rid the excess stuff and it usually makes the machine useable again but it quickly fills back up again. Normally I have 1.2 GB free but it has often gone as low as 28 MB!?!?! free space! Don't know if I've been hacked, bugged, flimflammed or what! Windows Defender can't find anything, nor Avira, and I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

ps Even while typing this post it has gone from 1.02 GB down to 223 MB and locks things to the point where even the taskbar won't show all the icons on it.

Try using this software to see where the big stuff is:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml?pk_campaign=AdWords&pk_kwd=TreeSize_Pro_EN

No offense, but seriously, isn't it time for a storage upgrade?  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

My Windows (10 Pro) installation alone, takes up 16.4 Gig, my P3D install (with some add on's) is 69.5 Gig!......Should I go on?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

The answer is almost certainly System Restore Points. You should run Disk Cleanup on a regular basis. Do this...

1) Double-click My Computer

2) Right-click the C drive and choose Properties. A graphical depiction of your hard drive is shown with free space in purple.

3) Choose Disk Cleanup. A scan takes place. Be patient, it may take a while.

You are then presented with several entries and the space they occupy. It's okay to go with the options selected. However, if you have a stable PC and are happy to remove all System Restore points press the More options tab at the top and choose Clean up... in the bottom System Restore section. You will be asked to confirm your choice.

If you choose Delete and allow the process to run it will recover several hundred Mb and possibly 1Gb or more depending on how much it finds.

But as others have said you really need a larger drive.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Two possibilities to me:

1.  Windows update is adding larger updates

2.  Your virtual memory file is automatically being allocated larger.

I use an app called windirstat which shows a visual representation of your allocations.  It's free and reliable.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Should never really run ANY Windows version with free space on C: drive lower than the amount of installed RAM.

Otherwise, very weird things will happen, and it may not even start at some point. Let alone run any simulator

You need to decide what should go.

It's possible to recover some space by looking inside C:\ProgramData\ folder.

A lot of the installers add a backup copy that can be eventually used when the "Repair" option of a particular software is used.

You can do without it if you have the original installer stored somewhere else.

Aside from the other programs mentioned, another one to clean up stuff is called BleachBit.