Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

P3D Wave Shoreline Effect

I was initially very happy that P3D had done away with that terrible wave shoreline effect, however in version 3.3 on it seems to have made an unwelcome comeback.

Is there a way to disable this cheesy, cheap looking effect?

Thanks,

Glenn

Yes. I've done just that for the same reason.

There are some effects files you can delete but I don't recommend that method. Instead, find the files named fx_swoosh.bmp and fx_swoosh2.bmp in your P3D>Effects>Texture folder and delete them. Then, replace them with dummy files. Eg, simply create new text or notepad files, rename them appropriately and then change the file extension to .bmp.

Should be good to go!

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys although there is conficting info?

First post here says fx swoosh files control the waves and the linked thread states fx wave controller?

The thread that Jay links to shows that people have attempted to adjust and change the waves so that they don't look so bad. Like you, I'd rather just get rid of them altogether. The problem is, though, that deleting the wave fx files (including the ORBX ones, if you have them) never seemed to fully get rid of the waves. It's somewhat difficult to explain but I'll just say that when you would initially load a scenario, they'd be gone but after slewing or flying around, they'd come back. I almost wonder if they're hardcoded into the sim or something. Regardless, deleting effects files can sometimes induce stuttering as the sim searches for an fx that it knows it should be processing. Creating the dummy texture file addresses both issues.

Three options. Either use PTA to slow the wave speed down, edit the fx files by adding a distance parameter (The waves will disappear at a predefined distance), or change the view settings in the fx file to eliminate the effect in specific views.

I'm not going to get into the details of the latter two options, as if you don't know how to do this properly already, you probably shouldn't be messing around editing the default fx files.

Instead of messing about with pointless unrealistic wave "effect" files, LM could make better use of their time by solving the problems with AI planes just after loading. Whilst I rarely see these problems outside Heathrow (I only fly around the UK), seeing AI planes "dive bombing" into final approach position, landing short and taxiing in across the landscape, or even landing way too long and ending up stationary in the middle of nowhere.....is annoying.

EDIT: Yes, I know......LM's military customers are unlikely to give a damn about AI planes, so we will probably never see a solution to this problem. Still, someone had to say it :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks guys although there is conficting info?

First post here says fx swoosh files control the waves and the linked thread states fx wave controller

Yes. I've done just that for the same reason.

There are some effects files you can delete but I don't recommend that method. Instead, find the files named fx_swoosh.bmp and fx_swoosh2.bmp in your P3D>Effects>Texture folder and delete them. Then, replace them with dummy files. Eg, simply create new text or notepad files, rename them appropriately and then change the file extension to .bmp.

Should be good to go!

Thanks, this worked a treat.