Sign in to follow this  
Guest epd1

Scenery backward compatible?

Guest epd1

I have been out of the FS loop for some time and starting to get back into flight simming. I currently have FS2002 and was wondering if the scenery for 2004 is compatible with 2K2? Thanks in advanceChad

Guest racartron

Pretty much all of it will fit into FS2002. What y'all will miss are any of the neat animations that need FS2004 bits to work.. The most amazing bits like Runway 12 and Bill Lyons awesome items do NOT work in the old version -- at least I haven't been able or willing to invest the time to tweak 'em.Also, The new AFCAD2 was designed for FS2004, so only those airports done in the original version will work in FS2002.In other words, try the ones ya want but stick them in a folder that you can easily find & remove if they fail.-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember whatifdgsupport.jpg

To be a little more specific, scenery designed using the FS2004 SDK will NOT work in FS2002. However, most scenery designed for FS2004 was actually created using the older tools (FSDS2, AFW, FS2002 SDK) and so it is mostly backwards compatible. So, in effect, much of the "FS2004 compatible" scenery in the library is actually FS2002 scenery with some minor modifications (AFCAD) that permit it to be used in FS2004.There were several changes from FS2002 to FS2004, including VTP layers (rivers, airport areas), AFD (AFCAD), and library objects. Although we still use GMAX to create our library objects, the compiler (BGLC vs. BGLComp) creates the objects differently. The thing is, we got so used to the old tools, we really learned how to tweak them, and there are still a few effects that we were able to do in FS2002 that we weren't able to do using the newer SDK. As a test, you can load my 2004 Trat or Buriram scenery into FS2002 and tell us what you see. Both these sceneries were created using the FS2004 SDK exclusively. I don't have FS2002 anymore, otherwise I would do this myself.- Martin

Guest epd1

Thanks for the replies..appreciate it.Chad