Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

Vector to Final , cleared for GPS B

I was flying IFR to Palm springs.. I was vectored around. They told me to be prepared for GPS B approach circle to land 31R.OK.. so I went to my GPS and "proc" GPS B "LOAD".Then when they said..clear for.. GPS B ....I did "ACTIVATE VECTOR TO FINAL.Now what?Normally, I am vectored to capture the ILS..so I maintain my heading till I capture the Localizer.. and then I turn in.In GPS.. there is capture.. so what do I do? I see the airport at 10 clock around 6 miles.But the GPS track shows me...to go left to 9 'Oclock to some waypoint, then to turn right 90 degrees to another waypoint etc.What should I do?I don't understand.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Most GPS approaches are in the T pattern. In the case of a GPS approach vector to final, in MSFS, you may have to go into the FPL page push to activate the cursor, and highlight the final approach fix in the approach and hit the menu button.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

>Most GPS approaches are in the T pattern. In the case of a>GPS approach vector to final, in MSFS, you may have to go into>the FPL page push to activate the cursor, and highlight the>final approach fix in the approach and hit the menu button.>>---------------------------------------------------------------->John Morgan>Thanks John.OK.. Now I have two Questions.1. On what you said.. Yes,. I understand the T pattern of GPS. I understand which IAF/FAF I should start the approach depending on my location. But I don't understand this."go into>the FPL page push to activate the cursor, and highlight the>final approach fix in the approach and hit the menu button.>Do I it the "menu" button? or the D (direct) button? to go directly to the FAF?2. In my case... The GPS B approach for Palm Springs Intl. Its actually a VOR and GPS B (overlay) approach.In that case..what do I do?

Manny

Because of the headache that the GPS in FS usually is, I would have gone for the VOR approach.In my experience, I had to hilight the fix I wanted and hit the Menu button and it asked if I wanted to fly that leg. If I hit the Direct button, it would send me to the direct to the fix and clear the rest of the plan making it impossible to continue the flight.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest garwig

Let me start from the beginning:When told to expect GPS B approach with circle-to-land, press the PROC button on the GPS, use the cursor to select GPS B, Select Vectors, then select activate. Now ATC will vector you to the final approach point, you do not have to follow the entire GPS approach from the initial since ATC will vector you to final(unless you've asked ATC for vectors to an initial fix). Once on final, you need the approach chart to give you altitude guidance. Since this is a circle-to-land approach, at the point that you have the airport in sight you are expected to fly visually the rest of the way to the runway. If you reach the minimum altitude for circle-to-land (shown on the approach chart) then you should execute a go-around.

You would not go missed upon reaching the MDA, but at the missed approach point. Just do not descend below the MDA when the runway environment is not in sight.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

>Because of the headache that the GPS in FS usually is, I>would have gone for the VOR approach.>>In my experience, I had to hilight the fix I wanted and hit>the Menu button and it asked if I wanted to fly that leg. If I>hit the Direct button, it would send me to the direct to the>fix and clear the rest of the plan making it impossible to>continue the flight.That is only because in this case you should press the MENU key followed by the ENTER key:======================================Vectors-to-Final ApproachesIf ATC tells you to "expect vectors" onto the final approach course, there are several ways to select "vectors to final." The first two options below normally require the least effort.To select vectors to final

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest garwig

>You would not go missed upon reaching the MDA, but at the>missed approach point. Just do not descend below the MDA when>the runway environment is not in sight.>>---------------------------------------------------------------->John MorganD'oh, good point.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.Bill, that was very lucid.I am real world IFR student. But that GPS overlay VTF kind of got me there. Who said.. Flight sims can't be used for learning new things for real world IFR.BTW.. Hitting the Direct button is the process if you are using the Bendix King KLN94 found on the 172SP these days. I think..thats what you got to do on the KLN94. not 'Menu". Please correct me if I am mistaken aboyut the KLN94 GPS.:)Manny

Manny

However, in the real Garmin GPS, the Direct key could be used. Atleast in the 430s some of our aircraft used to have, I can't imagine them kicking it out in later models. I'm about ready to try popping in one of these 430 or 530 freeware GPS gauges I found as they appear to have all the pages and have them functioning. I've been wanting the other durn NAV pages that FS doesn't have. I just hope you can put it in OBS mode so you can do turns-in-holding/holding-pattern proceedure turns without the next leg going active.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

>Bill, that was very lucid.>>I am real world IFR student. But that GPS overlay VTF kind of>got me there. Who said.. Flight sims can't be used for>learning new things for real world IFR.>>BTW.. Hitting the Direct button is the process if you are>using the Bendix King KLN94 found on the 172SP these days. I>think..thats what you got to do on the KLN94. not 'Menu". >Please correct me if I am mistaken aboyut the KLN94 GPS.I couldn't say, as I'm unfamiliar with the KNL94. The citation I quoted was from the manual for the ESDG Cirrus SR20G2 version of the GNS430, which is also applicable to the G500 default GPS in FS9.The same exact sequence of keystrokes is used for the "real" GNS430/530 as well, so there's no possible confusion... ;)

Fr. Bill    

>However, in the real Garmin GPS, the Direct key could be>used. Atleast in the 430s some of our aircraft used to have, I>can't imagine them kicking it out in later models.Er, nope. The same procedure is used for both the GNS530 and GNS430 units. See page 55 of the "GNS530 Pilot's Guide..."http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GNS530_PilotsGuide.pdfHowever! On page 60 they mention a "shortcut:" Pressing DirectTo twice on a highlighted waypoint will bring up the "Activate Leg" dialog box, which is the equivalent of the procedure described on page 55. Somehow, I fail to apprehend how pressing the DTK key TWICE is a shortcut for pressing the MENU key ONCE!!! ;)

Fr. Bill    

First - you need to know the airport information.KPSP does not have an ILS, does not have a localizer.You will have to line up with the runway and make the final descent visually.You begin your final approach to ALL runways at the TRM VOR - 20.4 nm from the southeast end of the airport.Your flight course from the IAF to the FAF and the runway will be 292 degrees. If planning to land on the Rwy 13L or Rwy 13R, you will circle to the north / northeast of the airport and line up and land. If landing on the Rwy 31L or 31R, you will correct your course a mile or two out to over the airport.The Rwy 13 heading in FS is 130 magnetic, the Rwy 31 heading in FS is 310.As pointed out the VOR or GPS-B approach are the only ones for the airport and are basically the same.The FS2004 system will assign a GPS approach only if an ILS or Localizer approach is not available. The system will assign a GPS approach before assigning a VOR approach. An NDB approach is the last one which will be assigned.You should never accept a "Vectors to Final" approach in FS. You should always select a transition.Then the default GPS and the ATC will be in sync. You will be directed from the transition point to the IAF. If you aircraft is not at the altitude in the published approahc, the GPS will put you into a one minue holding pattern until you descend to the correct altitude - then break you out of the hold. (If you are flying with the GPS/NAV switch in the GPS position)You will be told to contact the tower at an appropriate point on the final approach to make your visual landing.Note that you only have 6857 feet for landing on 13R and 8500 feet on 31L due to terrain clearance issues.http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0511/00545VGB.PDFAlso, should you be considering adding an ILS to the airport - it would fly you into the mountains for either set of runways.

>>You should never accept a "Vectors to Final" approach in FS.>You should always select a transition.>>Then the default GPS and the ATC will be in sync. You will be>directed from the transition point to the IAF. If you aircraft>is not at the altitude in the published approahc, the GPS will>put you into a one minue holding pattern until you descend to>the correct altitude - then break you out of the hold. (If you>are flying with the GPS/NAV switch in the GPS position)>>You will be told to contact the tower at an appropriate point>on the final approach to make your visual landing.>>Good info. Thanks.Manny

Manny

Hmm... It's been a while since I've used a real Garmin 430. Out sim is the only thing that has it anymore since they got rid of our aircraft that had them. Our fleet has all Bendix/King KLN-90Ns and I hate the durn things. Hehe.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan