Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

X-plane newcomer from P3D, questions and observations, VR too

Surprised no one has mentioned Ortho4XP to make photos scenery. Much more efficient than using G2XPL

Surprised no one has mentioned Ortho4XP to make photos scenery. Much more efficient than using G2XPL

I read that that one was a bit more involved than the other.. or maybe that has changed?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Be like me and use all three sims, P3D, Xplane and ofc. FSX ^^. No reason to only fly on one. I mainly use X-plane when flying VFR or businesses jets :)

• Upvote 1

I read that that one was a bit more involved than the other.. or maybe that has changed?

G2xpl is very straight forward, once you donate a symbolic amount the author will send you the plugin ready for use with all the settings, what i do is i spawn in the area i want and then will name the photo and then click generate, you can do it x plane on or off and you choose zoom level and if you want water or no.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Be like me and use all three sims, P3D, Xplane and ofc. FSX ^^. No reason to only fly on one. I mainly use X-plane when flying VFR or businesses jets :)

I agree, thats why i have aeroflyfs2 and p3d as well.. more the merrier, for now.

I think my previous question got merged in and lost in the flow.. 

Is there a tool like sceneryconfigeditor for xplane that can be used to turn on and off scenery addons or create groups?

edit: would this xaddonmanger be the one? (edit: that might have only been mac)

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

XAddonManager is available for Windows, Linux and Mac. But apart from testing, there really isn't a need to deactivate any scenery in X-Plane. In FSX/P3D we did that mainly to prevent OOMs, but you will hardly experience an OOM in X-Plane 64bit, regardless of the amount of active scenery and the plane in use.

I didn't have a singe OOM in X-Plane. That being said, you should have enough RAM, especially when using UHD meshes. 16GB will be fine in almost all circumstances, more is always nice to have.

XAddonManager is available for Windows, Linux and Mac. But apart from testing, there really isn't a need to deactivate any scenery in X-Plane. In FSX/P3D we did that mainly to prevent OOMs, but you will hardly experience an OOM in X-Plane 64bit, regardless of the amount of active scenery and the plane in use.

I didn't have a singe OOM in X-Plane. That being said, you should have enough RAM, especially when using UHD meshes. 16GB will be fine in almost all circumstances, more is always nice to have.

That makes sense. I think I mainly wanted it so I could easily toggle add-ons to compare to stock quickly

Ah ok!  You could try to combine this with the X-Reloaded plugin to quickly reload the scenery without having to restart X-Plane: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/18878-x-reloaded-linmacwin3264/

But i don't know if a simple reload will work in all cases, or if some enabling/disabling of scenery will require a restart. It's definitely the case when removing or adding scenery completely, but I guess XAddonManager just marks the scenery as "DISABLED" in the .ini

Question on weather/clouds.. Sky Max Pro  vs Ventura Sky.. any thoughts there?  I read that the injection of weather in general is buggy, often taking a minute or more without addons to fix this.. and also distance rendering of clouds is unlimited vs limited with a plugin (is this accurate?).. so i'm guessing plugin = better frame rate with heavy clouds/weather.

Also read that sky max pro may be good for screenshots, but is not very realistic.

Question on weather/clouds.. Sky Max Pro  vs Ventura Sky.. any thoughts there?  I read that the injection of weather in general is buggy, often taking a minute or more without addons to fix this.. and also distance rendering of clouds is unlimited vs limited with a plugin (is this accurate?).. so i'm guessing plugin = better frame rate with heavy clouds/weather.

I suggest you wait for X-enviro, a new weather engine/cloud injector to come out, it seems to fix many of these issues, still in Beta and here is a recent stream using x-enviro and the links to their website/FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625829117591486/

http://simrussia.com/xenviro_en/

you can skip to 1h:12min

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

I suggest you wait for X-enviro, a new weather engine/cloud injector to come out, it seems to fix many of these issues, still in Beta and here is a recent stream using x-enviro and the links to their website/FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625829117591486/

http://simrussia.com/xenviro_en/

Wow, yeah good tip.. i guess for most of this ill just wait it out for XP11 to be released too, perhaps it will change the need for some of these addons/plugins too.

It looks good, but I the framerate is ###### (maybe other factors).

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB