Sign in to follow this  
rowcoach

Missing Aircraft Config Files Error

Good evening.

Turned on FSX this afternoon. All started normal, up until the point the free flight screen opened. In the box where you see your plane, all I have is a box with clouds and sky. All the aircraft show up when I click the button to select a plane, but nothing shows up on the main screen.

If I try to fly, all I see is the panel and sky. No other scenery or textures.

Eventually, I get 2 error messages. First says the aircraft cannot be found and FSX will search for a defaul a/c instead. Immediately after I get a second message saying that there are no cfg files and I need to reinstall FSX.

Has anyone else encountered this ?

Thanks for you help.

Colin

What did you do to your computer prior to this happening? Did you install new driver, windows updates, install new software, etc?

I ask because if FSX was working perfectly for days, months or years and then suddenly this happened, something had to be done to get this effect.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hey Jim,

Been trying to narrow that down myself. My last flight was Thursday. Since then I have had one Windows update, installed FTX Central 3, and added an ai flight plan.

Removed the flight plan, but no change.

Not sure how to remove FTX, but that'll be my next step.

It may have been the Windows update.

I did just notice that I no longer have the UIautomationCore.dll in my FSX folder. I'll see if that helps.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Colin

While it was a bit of a shot in the dark, but UIautomationCore.dll had nothing to do with it.

I've heard of some Windows updates in the past causing issues but don't remember which ones.

When it comes to Windows updates, I'd turn off the auto updates and only manually check for updates once in a while but be very careful about which ones you choose to install. I rarely ever install updates since I use my rig primarily for FSX and don't need most of the stuff and never take video card driver updates from Windows, ever.

Hard to say, but I doubt the FTX Central update could cause your issue. Have you checked to see if the the aircraft and cfgs are all in the simobjects folder and not actually missing. Not sure what else to suggest at this point.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hey Jim,

I'll check later this morning, but I'm pretty sure the files are where they should be. The thumbnails appear to be showing up as normal.

I agree with you that FTX probably has nothing to do with this. I'm just trying to narrow down anything that may have changed since the last time I had a successful flight.

I'm going to trying playing around with a few more things before I bite the proverbial bullet and try a complete reinstall.

Have you had any luck with your set up?

Colin

You might want to consider doing a REPAIR before doing a complete re-install.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I've had this problem several times in the past with FSX-SE: Black sky + white clouds and no aircraft showing.

The only solution that worked (although a pain in the neck) was to re-build the FSX config (delete the current FSX.cfg file).  Of course, had to add-back all the tweaks + give new permission to all non-default gauges, & other apps...

Tried rebuilding my FSX.cfg file, but nothing changed.

I'm going to try a couple more things to try to narrow down what the issue may be.