Sign in to follow this  
Rhinozherous

Useful to set Core Affinity for side programs?

Hey!

I checked on my last flight via task manager the graphs for my six core amd fx6300... Core 0 was maxed out the most time, the other 1 to 5 cores where all the same at around 40% I use an Affinity mask of 64. I run several other progs beside FSX - active sky and so on.

Now my plan is to make Core 0 as free as possible and assign all other programs (active sky, ProATC x, fsrealtime...) to the cores 1 to 5. I think this should be possible via task manager Affinity settings.

Anyone who tried this already?

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Yes that's usual for performance, other exe apps that run when the sim runs should be kept off of the main sim core and also to some extent the second core used by the sim should be kept clear. Use an app or a batch file to start apps with affinity.

An AffinityMask=64=01000000, the first six from right to left are zeros, in this case it is ignored and all your six cores are used as in AM=63=00111111.

For the six core use AM=30=00011110 you can see the first core is free of the sim and the sixth core is free of the sim. In this case the sim gets four cores and you can use core zero and five for assignment to exe apps.

you can make a .bat file and drag a shortcut from that to the desktop. Here is an example batch file line that starts a traffic addon and provides cores 0 and 5 to it:

start /B "" /affinity 21 "C:\Program Files (x86)\FSTraffic\FSTraffic.exe"

here /affinity 21 is in Hexadecimal and so in Decimal = 33 and in Binary = 100001 gives core zero on the right and core 5 on the left, leaving four cores 1, 2, 3 and 4 available to the sim on AM=30=011110.

This is assuming you are not running with HT enabled. Always try to give exe apps two logical processors minimum.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thank you steve!

I have no experience with bat files...

But I found PRIO... https://www.prnwatch.com/prio/

Looks promising

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

easy way to try out a .bat is to make a new text file on the desktop, edit it in notepad, add that example line above but put:

start /B "" /affinity 21 "Notepad.exe"

Then save the txt file as .bat and double-click it, Notepad should start. Now run Task Manager from your right-click on the Task Bar. On the details page choose Notepad and see the Set Affinity setting.

It's best not to start an app then change the affinity with those checkboxes because it only moves threads off of cores you uncheck, which is different to actually starting the app with an affinity set.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Ah I see, will trie that today!

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Finally I now work with Project Lasso, (free version) with this one can permanently set the core affinity via rightclick per programm! It is very handy and now my new task manager!

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020