Sign in to follow this  
macpilot

Need Help Turning Engines Off Foe ASX

New to the 737 800/900 NGX.

When I get to the gate I need to turn off the engines before ground service is available. I think I followed the procedure in the manual as follows.

Set Parking Brake

Set both APU gen bus switches to on. I never get GEN OFF BUS LIGHTs on.

Both ENG start levers are in cutoff position and engines shut down.

This also removes power from the MCP which I would like to stay on so I can set the MCP for my next flight.

What don't I understand? What should be the correct way to do this?

Thank You.

Bill McCracken 

What don't I understand? What should be the correct way to do this?

Sounds like you're not waiting for the APU to fully power up. Make sure to fly the two tutorial flights, which explain how to properly power the aircraft down, and back up.

Kyle Rodgers

You need to either make sure the APU is fully started as Kyle said or connect ground power through the FMC before shutting down the engines. Normally you would get the APU spooling up after landing as you are taxing to the gate, that way its up and running when you get there.

Thanks for both your replies. I have gone through tutorial 1. But not power down and power up sections. I also have the 777 and partial read the power down steps to get the engines off for ASX. So I tried the same approach on the 737. When I look at the 737 APU I see 4 switches. Do I turn on the 2 center ones or the 2 outside ones. Yes I will go through the end of the first tutorial. I didn't want to try the second till I became more familiar with the 737.

Thanks again.

Bill McCracken

Basic gist of it is you are going to first click the APU switch to Start momentarily then to Run. You will then see the APU EGT gauge start to rise. Once it stabilized the "APU GEN OFF BUS" light will light up blue. Flip both APU Gen switches to On and both "GEN OFF BUS" lights will light up blue. You are now running on of the APU Generator and can shut the engines down without interrupting the electrical power.

Patrick and all.

After reading the section of the tutorial 1. That covers shutdown. I found the error of my ways. :(

READ THE XXXXXXX MANUAL!

Thanks Again to all.

Embarrassed Bill McCracken

It happens, once you've done it a few times it gets easier. Another option is to taxi to the gate and pull up the Ground Equipment section in the FMC and connect the ground power, then flip the Ground Power switch on the overhead before shutting them down.

Back Again!

I followed Kyles instructions above. Shut engines off by moving both engine starter levers to the cutoff position.

Used GSX for unboarding and boarding.

Went to start the engines by switching the IGN toggle to the R positon and the switch to GRD. Right engine did not start.

I went to YouTube and watched a video and followed it but no start,

All  I want to do is stop the engines for GST ground and restart after completed.

I know I missing some steps but can't figure it out.

Thanks to all who reply.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bill McCracken

Hi,

To start the engines, you need bleed air, so:

_ APU on and check that APU bleed is on as well

_ Set isolation valve to open

_ Switch both packs to off

_ Check both engine bleeds are on

_ Then right engine ignition start switch to GND

_ Then right engine fuel control switch to IDLE

Once engine 2 is stable, same for the engine 1.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Roman,

That did the trick. Believe it or not but I've spent days trying to figure this out. Thank you so much.

Should I turn the packs back on after the engines start?

Thanks

Bill McCracken

Yes you need to turn the air packs back on. Otherwise you won't have air conditioning/heating and most importantly cabin pressurization. You will get an alarm as you start climbing if you leave them off, however you get no displayed messages on either screen, so a lot of times it will leave you scratching your head. Also depending on your take off power level you determined you may need to turn the packs off for take off in order to achieve maximum power, and then back on again once you are established in climb power.

Hello,

Once both engines are started, you set APU bleeds to OFF, PACKS to auto and isolation valve to AUTO. (and you turn the APU off).

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Steve and Roman,

Thanks a lot.

My issue has been I could find how to shut down and start up the engines. But I couldn't figure out where to stop in each process. So that I would satisfy GSX for engine shut down for ground services. If this makes sense.

Thanks Again.

You made my day!

Bill McCracken