Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Necropost: ORBX Pricing Structure 85% discounted

Thanks for the heads up.

I did a price point comparison some time back and found that they had pretty much across the board jacked up their prices by 20% anyway.

3W5 Concrete muni I paid $30.95 when it came out six years ago.  That's six years ago. I see the new "discounted" price is actually still more ($32.95) than I paid six years ago, so its really not a price reduction.

Yes we know that there is inflation, new entrants into simming etc.  But, now if you told me it was going for $15...that would be a deal.  I would have thought also that the "new store" cuts out the middle man and therefore the margin of profit would be higher for each item.

Did they not increase their prices across the board after the last sale in about May/June time? I seem to recall JV posting to that effect (whilst the sale was still on) and advising that henceforth all airports would have the same price point. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

Getting Arlanda today for sure., the only airport i own is in my country, Dubrovnik, and it really is a piece of art.  :)

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Which comes to show this is a very subjective and personal subject.  :wink: I myself rather have small airports with a huge area around it with photoreal and all kinds of objects than a huge airports and nothing else. I myself am thinking about getting Orbx's LOWI mainly because of the huge area that is included. Great for flying around in with the trike. Other than that I don't care too much for addon airports although I did reinstall Airports of Norway yesterday because it does make flying into my main Norwegian airports a little bit nicer and because it clearly shows the gate numbers. But I seldom buy addon airports anymore. I spend most my time in the cockpit and in the air so airports don't matter that much to me. 

Apart from all that I do like the new Orbx pricing structure.

Very subjective. I am with you, Jeroen. What simming is about, for me, is flying an aircraft . As far as airports are concerned, the take off and approach terrain is what counts. And yes small/mid-sized airports à la OrBX rocks. Most of them are very moody. You feel like being there.

About the price, another subjective matter, because the financial means differ from one simmer to the other. Expressed in USD, OrbX prices seem reasonable enough (see my post above) and one has to remember that history tells OrbX does a 35% sale twice a year. A less than 20 USD Platinum or a 16 bucks Gold airport not a good deal ? Come on... And there is a discount for old folks and soon for students...  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3W5 Concrete muni I paid $30.95 when it came out six years ago. That's six years ago. I see the new "discounted" price is actually still more ($32.95) than I paid six years ago, so its really not a price reduction.

A lot of the price differences that are seen are actually related to currency swings.  :smile: 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

FlyTampa? o.O  They cover a wide area around their airports.  You've seen Copenhagen and Corfu, yes?

Some of their sceneries such as those you listed and Dubai, yes. But Toronto, Sydney, Montreal, and most of their American airports do not. ORBX airports meanwhile usually include hundreds and sometimes thousands of square km of custom mesh and scenery around their airports as a basic feature nearly 100% of the time. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

The prices for airports were 32.95 AUD before May. So this price reduction just means that prices are back to old levels for most airports. Labelling this a discount is a joke. JV must really think that consumers are easy to fool...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Some of their sceneries such as those you listed and Dubai, yes. But Toronto, Sydney, Montreal, and most of their American airports do not. ORBX airports meanwhile usually include hundreds and sometimes thousands of square km of custom mesh and scenery around their airports as a basic feature nearly 100% of the time. 

FlyTampa and orbx are like apples and oranges. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

The prices for airports were 32.95 AUD before May. So this price reduction just means that prices are back to old levels for most airports. Labelling this a discount is a joke. JV must really think that consumers are easy to fool...

My point was just to identify this.  They are great airports but why would one class a six year old product at prices that are greater than originally. The costs they have taken on lately are all associated with the new Central V3 and various controls for security of their products, which I have no issue with but, please don't call it a discount.  A discount on Concrete apt would be $15.

My mosty recent purchase was Germany North.  Still expensive but a great product.  I have backed off of airports as I just can't afford those prices.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

FlyTampa and orbx are like apples and oranges. 

+1

Indeed, because:

Both offer great, highly detailed, accurate and immersive sceneries - Period.

The difference just is the "kind of" scenery released by each of them.

ORBX goes for smaller, medium sized airports, Fly Tampa mainly goes for the huge, big hubs. However, both types of sceneries are essential for a convincing flightsim environment, so it is great to have them available!

And aside individual, personal preferences, it is great to have choices.

Other than this, i also like ORBX's new peicing structure.

:smile:

• Upvote 1

Well they are on sale 35% off so I bought FTX Global.

Still not sure if Vector is worth it considering I only fly airliners.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

What really are their prices, I see $54.95 AUD which is $39.26US, when I log in to pay I see these crazy prices $1099.00 AUD each. Why is this or what is the real price of these add-ons. 

1 hour ago, allamet said:

What really are their prices, I see $54.95 AUD which is $39.26US, when I log in to pay I see these crazy prices $1099.00 AUD each. Why is this or what is the real price of these add-ons. 

Contact Nick on the Orbx forum. It looks like you maybe seeing the commercial price. You are not the first with this issue. Nick can and will assist you.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

a two year old thread? 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors