Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

2017 Sim Rig - Can it FINALLY get the performance I want?

I am flying Prepar3D v3.4 right now on the following specs:

Intel i73930k 6-Core @ 4.6ghz

ASUS Sabertooth x79 Motherboard

32gigs G.Skill 2400mhz RAM

ASUS GTX 980

Win 10 Pro

I struggle to maintain 30 FPS with frames locked, 1/2 refresh rate while on the ground at many payware airports.   Sometimes I can do it... sometimes I can't.  Sometimes I can look one way out of the plane and have 30 FPS then look the opposite way toward a terminal or hanger and it drops to 25 FPS.   I avg about 24 FPS while on the ground.   Once airport and heading up I hit 30 FPS in the VC.  I am ALWAYS at 30 FPS outside the plane, regardless of being on the ground or in the air and can stay there all day even in bad weather with 50+ AI planes taxing around (would be nice to see that in the VC all the time).

So I just built my 2017 Wish list on Newegg.   In your opinions, can this achieve 30+ FPS constantly regardless of the scenario?  I am tired of having to slide sliders around for this and that place for performance (OOM is another issue that I don't care about for this topic).  It's one of the most annoying aspects of simming with the ESP engine.    I have seen people on YouTube hit 60 FPS in the PMDG 737NGX/777 at payware airports using what I consider lesser hardware (4790k, ATI R9 Video - Check out this insanity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti4AMo1eCZY)

This HAS to be able to do it:

i7 6700k (probably be a 6800k instead by the time I buy the parts next year, 1st quarter).  I plan to overclock this to at least 4.6ghz if not 4.8 on water cooling.

ASUS Maximus Hero/Whetstone LGA1151 Mobo (Overclocker's wet dream 6x in a row on their awards program)

16gigs G.Skill TritonZ 16-16-16-36  CAS:16 3600mhz RAM

eVGA GTX 1080 FTW  (1080ti if around when I start building)

I'll be installing the sim on one of those new 512gig M2 Harddrives that has a ridiculous throughput direct to the CPU.   (Up to 2150 MBps.   My best SSD right now that my sim is on only does 560MBps)

Win 10 Pro

If this can't get me 60 FPS like in that video then I just don't know what can or how people like that can achieve it (assuming he's not cheating with post production in Sony Vegas or like programs.  Seems to be real time in the cockpit).

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

In answer to the question...Probably not. :wink: Mainly because you've spent an arm and a leg on this new beast you won't find it possible to wind a slider back a notch. It's human nature. :smile:

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

In answer to the question...Probably not. :wink: Mainly because you've spent an arm and a leg on this new beast you won't find it possible to wind a slider back a notch. It's human nature. :smile:

lol.. yeah.  Probably.  I want to know how that guy has his 777 running at 60 FPS with 4790k and an ATI R9 video card!  @_@  Wish I spoke Spanish!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I think you're going to throw a LOT of money at something for a small incremental improvement.

Concerning the video you linked, he's running at a 1080 resolution. Are you running higher than that? Beyond that, I'm also a bit perplexed. His settings aren't anything out of the ordinary.

I think you're going to throw a LOT of money at something for a small incremental improvement.

Concerning the video you linked, he's running at a 1080 resolution. Are you running higher than that? Beyond that, I'm also a bit perplexed. His settings aren't anything out of the ordinary.

Yeah, I am 1920 x 1080 in Window Mode.  I have 3 monitors but only my center is for simming.

Well thankfully I am not just throwing money at a new PC for simming.  This new rig is gearing me up for VR games in general.   Now...  I think I am going to get more performance than you think because the 3930k vs the 6700k when it comes to single core performance CRUSHES the 3930k and really, the SIM is relying on one main core for all it's heavy computations.   That has to account for something.   ALso, having 8gigs worth of memory over 4 will let me go to 4k resolution finally without much or any noticeable performance loss I would think.   The 1080 FTW is far superior to the 980 by the charts website I use for comparing model to model.     The 3930k crushes the 6700k on Multicore processing but that is useless in the simulator enviroment (great for video editing though).

I really want to know how this guy is achieving 60 FPS stable in the PMDG 777 pit!   He has to be using some trick.  I don't know of anyone capable of this and he's using an ATI card which I heard is inferior to Nvidia when it comes to FSX/P3D.   I want to believe but my gut is telling me he's filming in half speed then speeding it back up to 60 FPS in post production then acting like he's running 60 FPS in real time.   If he's not, then he should REALLY share his secret because settings alone in that video are not what is letting him hit 60 FPS in the VC on this notoriously hungry pit.   He has a similar video for the NGX 737 with 60 FPS as well.

100454.png

Brian Navy

Just to clarify, you may be running the sim at 1920x1080 but the graphics card is pushing 5760x1080. That may account for something.

Just to clarify, you may be running the sim at 1920x1080 but the graphics card is pushing 5760x1080. That may account for something.

I don't think the desktop would be eating that much in the way of FPS.   The 3D engine is only rendering in 1920 x 1080.

100454.png

Brian Navy

I've got the 960Pro, btw. Did not notice an improvement other than loading screen times. Regarding the machine you listed above, if you played DCS or another modern title, you would notice the performance improvement you are looking for. Problem is P3D has some truly ancient core code. The only thing I can recommend is to lower texture resolutions. Using 4k cloud textures and the like can really impact performance.

Do not get a 6800k. Get the 7700k when it releases with Kabylake. The per-core performance of the 6700k right now out performs the 6800k and other Broadwell E chips. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

hmm,  I am watching this thread with interest.  With my current ancient rig: i7-2700K oc 4.8 Ghz, 16 GB of RAM, Raptor HD, GTX980, I got 20 FPS with the 777, outside view is above 30.  My res is higher at 2440x1600.  I am considering getting new hardware next year, but it has to buy me 100% improvement to bother.  What killed me with P3D is not the raw FPS, it's the microstutters.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

You won't be able to get a consistent 30fps+ on add-on airports with AI traffic. No matter what hardware you throw at it. This is just because P3D is still CPU bound in those cases just as good old FSX and the single core performance of CPUs has only improved marginally over the last years. If you only look at improving performance in P3D then upgrading your already capable platform is pointless in my view. Even in the new setup you will definetly run into bottlenecks at add-on airports. In the air, I can easily achieve 60fps+ in the PDMG 777 on a triple monitor setup. But this is impossible at complex add-on airports with AI traffic.

PS: I'm on a 4770K@4.6GHz and a GTX1070.

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I was labouring under the impression that the obsession with 'frames' had been replaced by 'VAS' :fool:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Forget it. P3D in its current incarnation is incapable of giving any sort of performance and eye candy we want to see, without falling over itself.  I have an i7-6800k@4.2 ,980ti, 16GB RAM, SSD.  

Since the last P3D Client update it's almost impossible to complete any flight without an OOM.  I have reduced sliders to almost 50%, reduced Traffic to 10%.

If I start from a payware airport i'll be leaving with around 800mb VAS.  As the flight progress VAS will slowly deplete.  If i'm coming into another payware airport it will normally be between Approach and Finals before the OOM surfaces.  A default airport will just about see me to the gate...if the taxi in isn't too long.  I've yet to attempt a fight greater than 2hrs.

So...on reflection Brian I'd say you can throw all the horsepower you like at this 'Vehicle'.  The hole in it's gas tank is just too large - you're going to empty it a whole lot faster.

That Aero fly FS 2 is looking better and better...

As for OOM, I solved that issue. 1k texture resolution and disabled all vector add-ons. I have Very Dense scenery and trees and normal autogen. I have 1gig free at start at most pay ware and end most of my flights at 400-500 megs at pay ware. I limit AI traffic to no more then 50 planes.

100454.png

Brian Navy