Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

2017 Sim Rig - Can it FINALLY get the performance I want?

FPS is extremely dependant on settings and configuration (obviously), not just your system. I am not running AI traffic and only 1080p, and high scenery settings, and in the air I can achieve 30-60 FPS in the 777. 25+ on the ground on add-on airports. Lower than 25 pretty much never happens. My system is 5 years old.

It also depends if you are running unlimited FPS internally or not. I also run BufferPools=0.

With modern, systems, run BufferPools=0. Please everybody, just do it, It works perfectly fine as long as your system is stable and balanced. It increases your FPS by 25-50%. It will not cause artifacting unless you're often doing erratic panning in outside views. 

Let's say I'd run a bit of AI traffic, ORBX scenery, 4096 clouds, high AA and AS, with three monitors, bufferpools turned on, then I'm sure I would only get 20 FPS... 

Equal configurations on equal systems cause equal performance, it is as simple as that. Check your configurations, and don't go extreme. 

Bufferpools is completely useless in P3D, which is what Brian is using.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Okay, I actually wasn't aware of that because I'm still using FSX until P3D goes 64-bit. I read P3D is sending a lot more data to the GPU, making bufferpools useless. What's the point of that if P3D is going to perform worse than FSX with bufferpools disabled. I'd rather fly a CPU bound P3D, than a P3D that still isn't making optimal use of our GPUs.

There is no consumer grade computer capable of running P3D at very high settings with complex addons and scenery. That's just the nature of the beast. I know that some people find 30 fps acceptable, but for others it is not. You have a very good computer, and I wouldn't upgrade it until there is some revolutionary new hardware on the market. Save your money and live with what you've got for as long as possible. Don't feed the beast! 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

On the topic of AI traffic, be sure to use AItrafficmanager...It makes a huge difference in fps in busy regions if you keep it set to something sensible like 70 aircraft.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Actually I had no entry in my CFG for any kind of buffer pools.   But I gave Arjen's suggestion a try for giggles and I'll be damn if the simulator isn't running smoother on the same test flight scenario.   GPU usage went up a little but I have tons of overhead on the GTX 980.  It's the CPU that is generally jammed near the 100% range on all 4 cores.    This did introduce possible long frames but I can't tell if it this tweak or ChasePlane ALPHA being ALPHA.   Overall, on my system, much smoother.    I'll have to do several more flights to truly sign off on this.

As for AI Traffic culling, way ahead of you.  AITrafficManager culls my traffic down to no more than 50 planes in the area.   I have used that for a long time.   I have my traffic slider at 75% to make sure my arrival and departure airport populate to realistic levels then I tell AITrafficManager to kill all but 50 planes in the area and leave the traffic at my departure/arrival airports alone.  Works like a champ with little loss in FPS on my rig.

I am more than happy to have 30 FPS continuously.  That's all I really want.  Yeah, 60 FPS would be epic but I'll settle for 30 as long as it is consistently 30 with my config.   Nvidia Inspector has the frames locked at 30 fps with 1/2 Refresh rate and Unlimited set in the sim.    This works very well in most cases.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Actually I had no entry in my CFG for any kind of buffer pools.

The sentence "which is what Brian is using" meant that you are using P3D and wasn't meant to say that you are using Bufferpools in your cfg...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

The sentence "which is what Brian is using" meant that you are using P3D and wasn't meant to say that you are using Bufferpools in your cfg...

lol... one day I will learn to read my native language.  XD

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

lol... one day I will learn to read my native language. XD

Maybe I just used the wrong words as I'm not a native English speaker... ;-)

Might as well get the 7700k launching early next year then.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Might as well get the 7700k launching early next year then.

Still wouldn't make a significant difference as single core performance increase will most likely not be higher than 5% compared to a 6700K. If not even less...

Still wouldn't make a significant difference as single core performance increase will most likely not be higher than 5% compared to a 6700K. If not even less...

No but why buy the "last year" version of the CPU, when a new one will be available. Just giving him a heads-up. Also, the 5-10% the 7700k gives, is quite a bit when you're working with sub-30 FPS sometimes.

The 7700k will even boost to 4.5GHz out of the box, so it could turn out to be an overclocking monster.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Kaby Lake... expect 2.5% IPC plus the extra megahertz, so 4.2 6700K to 4.5 7700K. Maybe 4.9 overclock.

That's my estimate from everything I've read. Of course there are always the golden chips that achieve more.

If you can wait, I say do. Makes no sense not to. It's only a couple of months.

Kaby Lake will also bring Optane support and other stuff.

Oh yeah that's the chip that will most likely be in the new system.  This system won't be built till after May 2017 so some parts will definitely change.

Now going from a 3930k to 7700k is actually QUITE significant in the single core test.    The 6700 buries the 3930 in single core performance.    In multicore the 3930k holds it's own still against most chips on the market in that price range.  Unfortunately we're not looking at a simulation that can take advantage of that power.    When I bought the 3930k 4 years ago I was like, "This chip is gonna crush FSX!"   The next thing I know my CPU is popping out of my case, packing it's bags and saying, "NOPE!   I am out of here!   I can't even.... JUNK PROGRAM~!"     I was quite disappointed with what I got verses what I expected.

Thankfully I am a little more educated now.   I need better Single Core performance that can OC like a champ.   This rig is being built not just for P3D.  That would be a waste of cash on an ancient grey beard program.  This rig is for VR in other games that can actually use DX12.   I Kickstarter backed a few games that are going to need the horse power with VR attached to play at a nice 60 FPS.   This PC build will achieve that no problem.

100454.png

Brian Navy

Take note that he is using rather medium to low settings. No AI at all, trees at very dense and buildings even at normal, rather low clouds, hardly any shadows at low distances too, hardly any reflections, and so on and on. Most importantly: he is not moving. I can probably create a video too with even higher settings and then I only have to find an airport that gives my 60 fps when I am looking at one specific direction. The few moves around vc don't impress me much.