Sign in to follow this  
airplaneguru84

How does OpenLC North America compare to Ultimate Terrain X V2?

I've found the Orbx product to look better, in my opinion. In several areas I'm familiar with flying over, the Orbx OpenLC NA rendition looks more true-to-life than the UTX landclass counterpart. It may not be an essential purchase if you're on a 3rd party landclass package, but I feel it does provide improvements.

Now, on the flipside, as an owner of both Orbx Vector and UTX v2, I can say with confidence that the UTX vector data looks and performs better than the Orbx offering when flying in North America.... to the point that I am considering skipping the install of Orbx Vector during my next system rebuild.

Good luck!

-Greg

I would absolutely recommend Open LC NA!!  I was a long time UTX user but it only provded some urban landclass.  OpenLC provides it everywhere and I think it looks fantastic, it almost looks photo-real to me at times.  Considering you already have FTXG and Vector I think it is a no-brainer. The night lighting is very nicely done as well.  I always had light popping issues with UTX....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

What I love about open land class NA is it covers Central America with some cool photo real shots of volcanoes. Highly recommend.

Vic green

I like the Orbx product, they got the West Texas LC right where the many gas well fields dot the landscape. Deserts are pretty good.  Gulf coast dry land farming along the coastal plains not bad. These are the areas I am intimate with from 15-18,000 feet.

Dan Downs KCRP

to the point that I am considering skipping the install of Orbx Vector during my next system rebuild.

I just did a reformat today and skipped Vector also.  Just tired of the product and it is probably one of Orbx's worst.  I'll buy UTX sometime over the coming days.

Hi Folks,

Question: I know what a LC is - but does the ORBX product contain any new textures - or - is it just organizing the ones I have - better ???

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

ORBX FTX Global provides the textures.  Open LC provides unique textures but you really need Global to see all the great work LC does. :smile:

WAT1460.png

It's not so much an either/or choice. UTX competes primarily with Global Vector. Its landclass is limited to urban areas. I believe the landclass can be disabled in the scenery library if you wish to use Open LC.

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Thanks. Yeah - have Global and UTX - had thought I had read something about textures in the ORBX LC package but wasn't sure - appreciate the info...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I have Ultimate Terrain X V2, but I'm considering getting orbx OpenLC NA. Is it a worthwhile purchase or waste of flightsim $$ if I already own UTX? I already own Global Base and vector. Thoughts?

Speaking for FSX but the hypothesis applies to P3D.

I used FTX Global, Open LC NA and EU, with UTX USA and Europe and it works great. I mainly just use UTX for the road, streams and water bodies, but have turned off the landclass elements in UTX and also the UTX custom landclass elements like sport tracks, parking lots, etc., because those contain their own special textures that don't always mesh well with the Global textures.

So in short, you can use Open LC with UTX with great success and UTX vector placement is fairly low on FPS or VAS concerns.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guys, from my extensive switching and mixing between GEWorld+Ultimate Terrain2 and/or FTXGlobal+Vector+Open LC the latter is the best combo overall. I agree, FTXGlobal+UltTerrain 2 look good until you start noticing unusual whitish patches here and there. UT2 is very detailed, but unfortunately due to some colour mismatches (minor though) eventually FTXGlobal+Vector+OLC is the best combo for me. GEWorld 3PD is out of question, particularly in Europe. VAS considerations between the 'crossbreed'and true FTX combo are the same, if you know how to set up Vector properly. Been there done that :)

Dirk

Forgot to mention that yes, I did try LC sandwitches.

Dirk.

And unless you install FTXRegions VAS can be kept under control both in v3.3 and v3.4 (have not installed the latest one yet), but v3.3 managing VAS better.

Many thanks for the input everyone. I ended up purchasing OpenLC and the landclass does look more varied and natural than UTX. At higher elevations UTX still presented a very "tiled" looking LC at higher elevations and at least my initial impressions is that OpenLC seems to remedy that a bit.

I plan on attempting to use with UTX (without UTX landclass). I appreciate the added options that UTX gives - Water color, animated waves on/off, etc. Hopefully that's possible.

i9 10850K, RTX3080, MSFS.

My avsim uploads      Myflightsim.to uploads

I am using both together. UTXv2.1 US for Vector, FTX OLC NA for Landclass.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I have ftxg plus utx plus nalc. I had gex plus utx. I still have to fine tune disabling parts of utx and or in the scenery file

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: