Sign in to follow this  
k1fox

Complex Addon Aircraft Vs. Simple ones

Hey. Do you guys always fly complex addon planes like PMDG 737/777 and Aerosoft Airbus? I never really flew the Default King Air in FSX or prior versions of FS and been feeling like putting an improved FDE on it and giving it a go after many year of ignoring it. Just been wanting to try less demanding planes and be able to put on demanding scenery (Like Latinvfr KMIA etc) as my system can't manage both. Not only better fps,but a more relaxed flying experience than a PMDG/Aerosoft and faster than most of the carenado/alabeo planes I have - better for longer flights - 300+ NM. I usually use carenado planes for quite a few years but even those have become demanding.  I even tried ISDT freeware King Air B200 and its okay - just wish there were more repaints. I might even try AFG King Air 300 (New and young simmers may not know this one lol). Never been into King Airs but now I'm interested.

I mainly fly freeware aircraft which are not known for being complex although there are a few gems out there! It's just good to get airborne in the virtual world even if for example, you're flying IFR in a POSKY 777 freighter without having to manage all the PMDG accuracy. Your sim: your rules for having fun. Give the simple stuff a go and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

"Simple" aircraft can be a great way to come to grips with hand flying or IFR navigation or ATC guidance. Without the need to constantly monitor and adjust systems or adhere to tight performance limitations, you can fully concentrate on your task.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Have a look at Flysimware's Mitsubishi MU-2. It's pretty fast and very easy on fps. Systems are very well modelled. The interior modelling is not that great, but the instrument panel looks fine, and that's what you are mostly looking at during a flight. The screen shots kept me from buying it for a long time, but after I got it on a sale it grew very quickly on me.

Peter

Though I'm not the guy to give you aircraft recommendations, I can say that what you're discussing minds me of real world General Aviation instrument flying - and without an auto pilot it's even more challenging than any high level commercial airliner, thus the sense of accomplishment is very, very high.  There are some excellent payware GA aircraft - and they do have an autopilot - and some advanced digital cockpits.

Now, another alternative to your aircraft verses scenery woes would be to continue to the fly airliners you have and use the recently released REX Worldwide Airports HD.  It really improves the default airport textures, with no changes to your processing requirement or VAS.

My very best wishes to you.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm a complex add-on guy. If it doesn't replicate the real thing - especially performance wise - I don't buy it or refund it or never use it. Doesn't matter how pretty it looks on the outside.

So I stick with some favourites like the NGX and Flight 1 B200 etc. More then worth it.

Nice... me too. You ever give the Majestic Dash 8 Pro or Leonardo Maddog? Easily the two best, most accurate, fully modeled aircraft ever developed for desktop flight simulation.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm a complex add-on guy. If it doesn't replicate the real thing - especially performance wise - I don't buy it or refund it or never use it. Doesn't matter how pretty it looks on the outside.

So I stick with some favourites like the NGX and Flight 1 B200 etc. More then worth it.

You should look at the GA aircraft put out by A2A and RealAir. They satisfy on both the prettiness and realism levels. I'd also put the Aerosoft Catalina and Twin Otter into that category - both punish you for poor engine management. I believe their Katana is pretty good too, but I don't own it.

One of the true aspects of simulation is simulating the real thing. I'm a real world pilot and only fly realistic simulations. Even the complex aircraft in simulation can be flown in a general aviation way. I did it all the time when I flew heavies in the Air Force.

• Upvote 1

For K1fox:

You might want to try the products  from http://www.qualitywingssim.com/ . They have Avro RJ/ BAe146 and B757 where you can choose easy-to-fly Lite version or more complex within one in the same product. They have really done great job with different kind of preferences of the simmers. Their products are also give very good fps.