Sign in to follow this  
Zoandar

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\APL Not Found?

Hi folks.

I am working through the nice CTD Guide you have on this forum, trying to find why FSX is hanging on my Win7x64 PC, and before I get into posting tons of info and stuff about my PC and what diagnostics I have done, I have a question.

When I run FSX and Process Monitor, I see a bazillion listings that show HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\APL - NAME NOT FOUND. Online research has shown me that HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\APL has to do with running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit OS in some capacity to translate things between 64 and 32 bit. But why the seemingly incessant barrage of attempts for this particular listing? There must be many hundreds of them, in blocks of time, in between other process listings that look to me like they would be normal. I don't know much about this kind of thing. But I'd like to know if this line repeated ad-nauseum is something I can ignore, or does it really mean my PC is lacking something that FSX is repeatedly looking for? It does come at the end of the Process Monitor log when I stopped it because FSX had hung on the screen, in a very long sequence hundreds of times.

Also, is there a text editor that can read CSV files? I saved a copy of the Process Monitor results in its native format, and in CSV, but when I tried to open the CSV version, Open Office Calc claimed it exceeded the maximum number of lines and truncated the end (which is where the hang occurred).

I have no idea other than the research already done when I Google your title.  Perhaps someone else here on AVSIM has a better solution than those found around the Internet.  I do know that "NAME NOT FOUND" error is common with running the Process Monitor.

Perhaps the following CSV Viewer will work better - http://www.csvviewer.com/

I had no problems reading the process monitor results in its native format.  It's tedious to go through the huge file to see what was loading at the time of the freeze but I was able to see just AI were being loaded at the time of my freeze.  It will be impossible to pinpoint the exact file that caused the freeze.  But, if it was an AI, Orbx, FSDT, FlightBeam, default textures, etc., loading at the time of the freeze it will provide a clue.  Perhaps then, maybe you could disable that program from running to see if it fixes your problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim,

My main beef with reading Process Monitor is that it doesn't seem to scroll as I would like it to. When I get into the middle of a hundred of these "not found" listings, it is hard to figure out if it is even scrolling.

Would there be a way for me to filter out a specific line from being repeated so many times? That would help. I was interested in some other viewer so I can do that kind of editing to reject all the fluff I don't need to see. I'll try out csv viewer. Thanks.

When I get ready to post all the info I am compiling on what I have done to try to fix the problem, should I attach what will be many pages of document separately, or do you folks prefer I post it all right in line in a post? Info like my PC specs, and each step I try in the CTD Guide, as well as the results for that step. I am keeping a log file on the effort.

BTW, I worked to fix this about a week before I found your guide. So in last ditch frustration, making a backup of the SSD I use for all my FSX stuff, I uninstalled FSX completely, formatted the SSD, and scrubbed any reference I could find to FSX on my C drive, before installing it completely scratch. Up until I added FSUIPC for the step in the CTD Guide that calls for it, I had absolutely no addons, tweaks, etc. installed. It didn't help. FSX hangs the same way on a completely pristine installation. And unless I attempt to close the FSX window when it hangs, nothing gets recorded in Event Viewer. Although deemed "not responding" by Win7, it is like Win7 thinks it is still running.

Would there be a way for me to filter out a specific line from being repeated so many times? That would help. I was interested in some other viewer so I can do that kind of editing to reject all the fluff I don't need to see. I'll try out csv viewer. Thanks.

As I suggest in the guide, you get a freeze and immediately write down the time.  The time is usually shown in the lower right corner of your computer.  You save the log and then open it up (if not already open).  On the right side of the log is a scroll bar.  Just put your cursor on the bar and pull the bar down to the bottom of the screen at the time of the freeze or crash.  Look at what was loading.  Do not look at any error shown in the "Result" column.  The result did not cause the crash.  I usually look at the minute before the freeze and then scroll down from there.  Look in the path column.  What was loading? 

Unfortunately, process monitor will not provide what happened exactly when P3D froze up or crashed as there are thousands in entries just in that fraction of time but the things loading should be easily seen during the time of the crash/freeze.  It's just an investigative tool. 

You do not want to post your log here.  You should be able to easily read what was loading.  Was it AI traffic?  Weather? Orbx/FTX stuff?  FSDT stuff?  A module?  You then can go into FSX and disable that program and run the flight again.  If the flight does not crash or freeze, then you have found the addon that is possibly causing your system to freeze up or crash.  I would then uninstall/reinstall that program.

So in last ditch frustration, making a backup of the SSD I use for all my FSX stuff, I uninstalled FSX completely, formatted the SSD, and scrubbed any reference I could find to FSX on my C drive, before installing it completely scratch.

Whenever you reformat your SSD, that will remove every software program on your computer so no need to uninstall anything.  But you did good by starting from scratch.  It is just strange FSX hung up even with reinstalling Windows 7 and then FSX.

In your original post (OP) above, you did not explain when the freeze or hang occurred so you need to do that.  Did it happen while you were loading FSX to the setup screen?  Did it happen while loading FSX to the location where your flight will begin.  Did it happen during a flight?  Did it hang up at the same spot (i.e., when starting up FSX or loading FSX or during a flight)?  If it hung up while loading to the setup screen or to your departure airport, that's an easy fix.  During a flight is a bit harder to diagnose and the Process Monitor log would probably show you what program caused the hang. 

If is not necessarily FSX that is crashing.  FSX was simply loading or running when the hang occurred.  It could have been something to do with your computer system.  Unless you disable startup programs, you will have many programs starting up in the background and anyone of those programs could be the culprit (see page 23, AVSIM CTD Guide).

Page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide tells you how to diagnose a freeze or CTD.  If the hang up occurs at startup, then it is probably the dll.xml that is causing the crash (if you have any addon installed).  You mentioned the FSUIPC4.dll and that is loaded via the dll.xml.  If you have an outdated FSUIPC4.dll, it will probably freeze up your computer during the startup as it is not compatible.  The guide tells you to move the dll.xml to a temporary folder on your computer, restart FSX and see if this fixes the problem.  If so, there is a module in the dll.xml that has a problem.  The developer of FSUIPC4.dll has a very good installer and it places the entries in your dll.xml correctly so that the fsuipc4 module will load so check for an updated version of the fsuipc4.dll.  See page 12 in regards to how you move or disable the dll.xml.

Did you place the parameter highmemfix=1 in the Graphic Section of your FSX.cfg as stated on page 10 of the CTD Guide?

Did you make sure FSX is configured to run in Admin Mode?  The guide on page 10 shows you how to do that.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

As I suggest in the guide, you get a freeze and immediately write down the time. The time is usually shown in the lower right corner of your computer. You save the log and then open it up (if not already open). On the right side of the log is a scroll bar. Just put your cursor on the bar and pull the bar down to the bottom of the screen at the time of the freeze or crash. Look at what was loading. Do not look at any error shown in the "Result" column. The result did not cause the crash. I usually look at the minute before the freeze and then scroll down from there. Look in the path column. What was loading?

Unfortunately, process monitor will not provide what happened exactly when P3D froze up or crashed as there are thousands in entries just in that fraction of time but the things loading should be easily seen during the time of the crash/freeze. It's just an investigative tool.

You do not want to post your log here. You should be able to easily read what was loading. Was it AI traffic? Weather? Orbx/FTX stuff? FSDT stuff? A module? You then can go into FSX and disable that program and run the flight again. If the flight does not crash or freeze, then you have found the addon that is possibly causing your system to freeze up or crash. I would then uninstall/reinstall that program.

Well, the only thing noticeable within the last 2 minutes is that a sound file which is periodically being loaded suddenly gets loaded 30 times in succession right before FSX hangs. Would that point to an audio problem?

Whenever you reformat your SSD, that will remove every software program on your computer so no need to uninstall anything. But you did good by starting from scratch. It is just strange FSX hung up even with reinstalling Windows 7 and then FSX.

In your original post (OP) above, you did not explain when the freeze or hang occurred so you need to do that. Did it happen while you were loading FSX to the setup screen? Did it happen while loading FSX to the location where your flight will begin. Did it happen during a flight? Did it hang up at the same spot (i.e., when starting up FSX or loading FSX or during a flight)? If it hung up while loading to the setup screen or to your departure airport, that's an easy fix. During a flight is a bit harder to diagnose and the Process Monitor log would probably show you what program caused the hang.

If is not necessarily FSX that is crashing. FSX was simply loading or running when the hang occurred. It could have been something to do with your computer system. Unless you disable startup programs, you will have many programs starting up in the background and anyone of those programs could be the culprit (see page 23, AVSIM CTD Guide).

Page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide tells you how to diagnose a freeze or CTD. If the hang up occurs at startup, then it is probably the dll.xml that is causing the crash (if you have any addon installed). You mentioned the FSUIPC4.dll and that is loaded via the dll.xml. If you have an outdated FSUIPC4.dll, it will probably freeze up your computer during the startup as it is not compatible. The guide tells you to move the dll.xml to a temporary folder on your computer, restart FSX and see if this fixes the problem. If so, there is a module in the dll.xml that has a problem. The developer of FSUIPC4.dll has a very good installer and it places the entries in your dll.xml correctly so that the fsuipc4 module will load so check for an updated version of the fsuipc4.dll. See page 12 in regards to how you move or disable the dll.xml.

Did you place the parameter highmemfix=1 in the Graphic Section of your FSX.cfg as stated on page 10 of the CTD Guide?

Did you make sure FSX is configured to run in Admin Mode? The guide on page 10 shows you how to do that.

I appreciate the help. :) But You are making an assumption here, that my PC has only one drive. I mentioned that I

reformatted the SSD that I only use for FSX things. I did completely reinstall FSX. I did

not reinstall Windows7. This PC was just built this past Spring, so I don't yet feel the

need to nuke it and start over.

This PC actually has 6 hard drives. An SSD for FSX. A second SSD runs the Win7 OS, and the

other 4 are typical SATA drives. Perhaps I should post the specs so you know what hardware

I am using:

FSX Gold Acceleration was newly installed, with NO addons, on a freshly NTFS formatted 960GB SSD, mounted in system B2 (my name for this PC). I am using the LG 34” wide screen display to run FSX, although B2 has 3 monitors. The LG is in the middle of the 3 monitor layout handled by Display Fusion.

PC Specs:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt AM3+ AMD 990FX 7 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD FX8150 Zambezi 8-Core 3.6 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W FD8150FRGUBOX Desktop Processor

CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model  CMT16GX3M4X2133C9          

Brand new EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics card with 8GB DDR5 RAM, supporting up to 4 displays across DVI, HDMI and 3 Display Port outputs.

GeForce Experience installed, with latest GeForce drivers available for this card.   

Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification andSemiModular Cables

OCZ VERTEX-2 SATA 120GB SSD – for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Western Digital Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HardDrive Bare Drive

SanDisk Extreme PRO 1TB (960GB) SATA SSD used solely for FSX and its related materials

WD Raptor X 150 GB SATA Hard Drive

Second WD 1TB SATA Hard Drive

Seagate 2TB SATA Hard Drive

Addon PCI SATA card

Addon PCI USB 3.0 card

ASUS Black 12X Bluray Burner SATA BW12B1ST/BLK/G/AS

Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower Computer Case with Metal Body and Hinged Side Panels

>Set FSX.exe properties to run as administrator for “all users” (although no one else uses this PC).

Still hangs in flight perhaps 10-30 minutes after start. If I leave it “hung” and do not try to close FSX, it doesn't even show up in Event Viewer, and eventually I can sometimes return to find it “paused”, and it will resume flying (until the next hang).

>Ran sfc /scannow – no integrity violations found.

No “tweaks” have been added or applied to any FSX files. Pure FSX. Nothing added except swapping in the customary Vista copy of UIAutomationCore.dll

Windows 7 Updates are current, for the non-optional updates.

As mentioned above, the graphics driver is the very latest available from GeForce.

Nothing is overclocked that I am aware of.

I did add the highmemfix=1 entry to fsx.cfg's GRAPHICS section.

I did not add in FSUIPC 4 until needed in the CTD Guide, and then I installed the latest version of it.

In order to establish a repeatable test, I use the same Free Flight setup every time. I had begun at Friday Harbor and at some point north of there, saved a flight on autopilot at 9000 ft ASL using the Beech Baron 58. I start this same saved flight for each test, and other than occasionally switching from Virtual Cockpit to External view, I am not touching anything. When it hangs, it is doing so of its own accord.

I have tried using a Clean Boot to disable everything else on my PC. It doesn't make any difference, so I resumed normal operations so I can do all the other stuff I need to do on my PC on a daily basis. When FSX hangs, nothing else malfunctions. Any other windows or programs I might have running continue to work just fine, such as Windows Explorer, Process Monitor, Adobe Reader (to follow the CTD Guide), etc. But I usually don't run any other programs when running FSX.

The most current test result = still under way after flying an hour (longest time yet) using extremely minimal settings in FSX. Having been able to run FSX with very high settings in previously much lower performance Win7 PCs in the past, it doesn't seem logical that I would not be able to do so on this rig.

I mentioned that I
reformatted the SSD that I only use for FSX things. I did completely reinstall FSX. I did
not reinstall Windows7.

You have a nice system.  I did make a wrong assumption.  I thought you had reinstalled everything.  Windows 7 and FSX.

When you uninstall FSX, any dll.xml in the old installation will not be removed unless you manually go in and delete the folder where your fsx.cfg is located - User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (a hidden folder).  When you reinstall FSX, any old FSX.cfg will be overwritten but not the dll.xml.  So, if you started up FSX immediately after installing FSX, the old dll.xml would be trying to load the FSUIPC and you haven't installed it yet since the new reinstallation.  That's one scenario.

Well, the only thing noticeable within the last 2 minutes is that a sound file which is periodically being loaded suddenly gets loaded 30 times in succession right before FSX hangs. Would that point to an audio problem?

Sound card drivers can cause problems.  In your PC specs I do not see where you have a standalone sound card and you are probably using the internal sound card.  Make sure the drivers for it are up to date.  One of the things I highly recommend is running a hardware driver updater like Driver Booster (free).  It will identify any outdated hardware drivers that Windows Update does not touch.  See page 15 of the AVSIM CTD Guide. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I am indeed using the Realtek Audio intrinsic to the motherboard.

What's your take on "HD Audio"?

As I understand it, this gets put into play when you use video cables (such as the HDMI and DisplayPort cables I am using) which can carry an audio signal to your monitor. During the time before I found your guide, some of the many scattered forum topics I read for solutions discussed disabling HD Audio, specifically the GeForce HD Audio that got installed on my PC through the GeForce Experience utility.

When I tried to uninstall GeForce HD Audio, Win7 immediately reinstalled it as soon as I rebooted. I then read where it can be disabled in Device Mgr. so I had tried that before the point where I completely reinstalled FSX. At that time it didn't help.

The Realtek motherboard audio also has lists Realtek HD Audio in Device Manager. Aside from another listing for Virtual Audio (??) those are the only 3 audio listings in Device Mgr. If I disable both GeForce HD Audio and Realtek HD Audio, the speaker icon in the task tray gets 'Xed out' and a tooltip says there is no audio output connected. So it seems I need the Realtek enabled there despite it being worded as HD Audio. This fact makes me wonder what Virtual Audio is, and should I disable it for cooperation from FSX?

I have no objection to installing a retail sound card if it comes down to that. I have a few old ones from previous PC builds, but whether they would have Win7 drivers available is the question on using them. So I would probably just get something new if I went that route. Hopefully without HD Audio so I needn't worry about that. I never use display mounted speakers.

On my previous Win7 PC build, where FSX ran very well for years, I initially used 3 DVI-D cables, from 2 different graphics cards, and then when I upgraded graphics cards I was able to use 1 mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to one of the DVI-D cables, all on a single graphics card. I am guessing that adapter disabled any chance of Win7 seeing an HD Audio source. Only when I built this PC, which before the new GTX 1070 used a pair of GTX 580 cards configured for SLI * did I end up with DisplayPort cables running all the way to 2 of the monitors. I was away from using FSX at that time, into some other things. I only within the past couple weeks have been finally trying to get FSX fully running on this PC.

* Note that although the twin GTX 580 cards were "configured" for SLI, I generally did not use it. Windows 7 limits SLI to only 2 displays, and I am very much spoiled by having had 3 displays for years. So when I was trying to get FSX up and running on those cards I had SLI shut off. Years back I used to span FSX across all 3 displays I had at that time, being the reason I got into 3 displays. I had a TripleHead-2-Go adapter back then. Newer graphics cards supporting multiple displays made that obsolete. But with the 34" center display I have now, I've been just using it alone for FSX, usually flying in Windowed mode.

What's your take on "HD Audio"?

Here's one member here who thinks the Realtek Audio causes his freezes - http://www.avsim.com/topic/279203-i-found-the-culprit-for-fsx-freezehang/ and here is another one - http://www.avsim.com/topic/377198-sound-has-a-mind-of-its-own/.

I would not mess with the NVidia audio settings.  I believe those are used for Steam games?

I have a Creative sound card so use those drivers yet the others are listed too.  I do not change them but make sure in the Sound settings it shows my Creative sound card.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Odd that Dell sold that fellow a PC configured with an add on Creative sound card, but they never disabled the intrinsic Realtek Audio. I agree with those who told him you definitely don't want to be using both.

As for my case, I had just downloaded and installed the R279 64-bit Win7 codec (driver) on November 10th when I was in my initial diagnosis of this issue, and had seen forum discussion blaming old Realtek drivers for FSX problems. So updating the driver is something I have already done. However, after reading your links above, trying a completely different audio card, and disabling the onboard Realtek audio, seems like a good step in trying to fix this, so I will do that next.

First glimmer of hope:

After disabling the Realtek Audio on my motherboard and adding in a legacy Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS PCI card I had here, complete with a newly downloaded Win7 driver, I still wasn't getting very far, except that as FSX was seen in Process Monitor now, I stopped seeing most of the Name Not Found listings, and it stopped loading the airplane wind noise sound file 30 times in succession when it did (still) hang on every test flight.

Something told me to Google this issue again, despite that I have yet to finish the CTD guide beyond the Process Monitor point. I found mention of someone wanting to disable having FSX pause when task switched away to something else. Hmmm. Since Event Viewer never even notices FSX hanging when it does, something told me that maybe Windows 7 OS is task switching in the background (perhaps something that did not exist in the time of Windows when FSX was state of the art) and FSX wasn't handling the situation.

So, I found that checkbox under General Settings, and unchecked "pause on task switch" or however it is worded. I then started my typical test flight described earlier, still using minimal graphical settings, at about 9:45 this morning, and let it fly on autopilot. I did not come back until 3:30, and it is STILL FLYING 6 HOURS LATER. :) This is the first glimmer of hope I have had. I now need to see if I can get it to work with a bunch of the eye candy turned on, my custom photo-realistic scenery reloaded, etc., but maybe I am onto the fix. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just checking in so you won't think I bailed on this thread.

Shortly after my last post, my main PC, where this FSX issue is being diagnosed, developed some serious problems with Windows 7x64 Home Premium, which an attempt to repair through traditional recovery console options could not fix. Since this build was about 8 months old (that's 80 in PC years) I decided a complete rebuild was in order. No small task, given I have several programs that demand uninstalling with a live internet connection so their "activation limit" is not exceeded....FSX of course being one of them. Add to that a lot of USB hardware and nearly 100 installed programs in total.

Once I got Win7 reinstalled, I went straight to installing FSX, which initially continued to hang. I almost gave up in frustration, until I remembered that just prior to the OS meltdown I had succeeded in an 8 hour contiguous autopilot flight while I attended to other matters. I went back through the log I keep on the FSX installation, and compiled a list of all the steps I had taken up to that point, to help prevent the FSX hang. I had not yet applied any of those fixes to the rebuild. I'll post that list when I get the chance.

Applying those fixes ( 6 or 7 of them, I think), I was once again able to fly a currently fresh and squeaky clean FSX install (with all previous options, custom aircraft, and custom scenery not yet reinstalled), for over an hour, at pretty much Ultra-High settings, 30 FPS, full screen, switching aircraft and using panel controls with the mouse, and using menus and keyboard input. This is how I am testing FSX, in beween small batch sessions of reinstalling my other programs, in case one of them breaks FSX. So the process is very time consuming, and will take weeks to complete, with the holiday season also underway.

One thing that is making a profound difference is running FSX from a batch file with a command to start it at higher CPU priority. It literally snaps open, and loads appreciably faster than I had ever seen before. I did this suspecting, since its hang never actually showed up in Event Viewer until AFTER I tried to close the hung, opaque, FSX program window, that perhaps part of the issue was Windows itself shifting to some other process it deemed more important in the middle of using FSX. So now FSX gets next to Real Time priority. (I read using Real Time for anything is a bad idea). Each test session is nice and smooth. But I have tons of programs to install before I eventually declare the problem "solved".

So please don't close this thread, because it will take a long time to complete. Thanks!

Here are the 6 steps I have taken to make FSX run smoothly on my PC without hanging, since its total rebuild:

• Paste Vista 32 bit copy of UIAutomationCore.dll into the same folder as FSX.exe – do NOT use 64 bit version (even though this is a 64-bit PC).

• Added “highmemfix=1” to the fsx.cfg [GRAPHICS] section – as per pg. 10 of the CTD guide

• Use a batch file with line “START /HIGH FSX.EXE” on to start/run FSX as High Priority

• Set FSX.exe properties to run as administrator (for all users)

• Set FSX General Settings – uncheck “pause on task switch”

• Add to FSX.cfg file [MAIN] section “Affinity=84”, supposed to enable more CPU cores for use on 32-bit FSX. I read this on a forum while looking up how to get FSX to start as high-priority.

I'll update this later on as I slowly finish rebuilding this PC and continue testing FSX on it.

FSX is still running as smooth as butter, as I continue to install other programs. I have not yet re-installed any of my addon aircraft, placed objects, or custom photorealistic satellite imagery scenery.

Good news.  I would be careful with the batch file for placing FSX at a high priority and the AffinityMask tweak.  If it crashes again, suspect both as the cause.  They are tweaks that I'm sure Microsoft techs would have added if they had the chance to reprogram FSX.  FSX was programmed for duo-core CPU's and not the more powerful systems of today.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM