Sign in to follow this  
Eamonn Watson

RTW 2017 Interest?

Good Morning All,

I am putting this out just to gauge an interest in the RTW race for 2017?  With about 90 days until the drop of the green flag (if there is a race), its a good idea to gauge interest in the race.

I fear if we do not get enough interest, there will not be a race at all, and there hasn't been a peep about it on any of the forums.

Drop a line here if you more then likely will be participating in the race this year.  This is not an official sign up thread for this team..

Thanks,

spacer.png

Hi all

So, it's come to that...

I'm in a bit of a fix here, because on one hand I would hate to to see this great event go down the drain - but on the other hand, I'm still struggling to get my interest for Flight Simming back. Thus I'm not sure if I will participate if the race is being held.

So I'm the Devils Advocate here: I vote FOR the race, even if my own situation is not clear.

And how did we get to this...???

BRGDS

Sven

And how did we get to this...???

It's been a steady decline for a bit. Even at avsim we've had quite a few people leave or not interested any more but we have been foruntate to find some replacements. A good portion of the older crew no longer enjoy it. There really are only so many ways around the world. The rules are always a contention as well as some love complex rules while some want very simple rule set. There is no easy answer.

We will see what happens.

spacer.png

I'm All In Sir :smile:   

I too am concerned that the other forums may not be able to muster a full team.   I would be sad to see this tradition fade away.  

• Upvote 1

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

I'm in, for sure.  I don't fly that much on my own anymore, but I always enjoy flying with the team!  

EDIT:  I definitely get that we have more demands on our time these days.  I'm supportive of more jets, promoting a quicker race, if that's what it takes to keep the race alive.  I thought the Vietnam-era jet event over at the Outhouse was pretty fun.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

I am in.

I have not been flying much.

As boat season has ended its time to start again.

As I will retire in 5 working days, I will have plenty of time.

Rules: I can live with anything, but I prefer more complex rules.

Jock

• Upvote 1

Jock Hartvig Andersen,

EKCH, EKAT

Eamonn mentions something that in fact is a great part of my not wanting to play along: The Rules (some of them, enyway)

In the old days, we sort of just took the best available plane and flew the next leg. The best available was one I was familiar with, and felt confident that I could fly the leg.

Not so anymore. You have to choose from a whitelist and every plane has to undergo rigorous testing before it can be used. Why_ To prevent cheating! Well, my take on this is that the cheaters teammates are sure to take care of it, and if not: Would you feel proud of a victory you only have because you cheated?

MInd you, it's not the racing rules as such that bugs me (required airports etc) but the fact that we have too many of them. It takes hours before we are all clear on every rule, and even then we almost always have misunderstandings as we fly.

Maybe it is time to let people fly what they want, as long as it is subsonic.

Maybe even drop the bonus and bonus bank to cut down on the red tape on every leg. Sure, it would mean that you WILL have to wait out any penalty, but maybe that will convince people to fly more by the book (no more dive bombing).

End of rant, BRGDS

Sven

• Upvote 1

Eamonn mentions something that in fact is a great part of my not wanting to play along: The Rules (some of them, enyway)

In the old days, we sort of just took the best available plane and flew the next leg. The best available was one I was familiar with, and felt confident that I could fly the leg.

Not so anymore. You have to choose from a whitelist and every plane has to undergo rigorous testing before it can be used. Why_ To prevent cheating! Well, my take on this is that the cheaters teammates are sure to take care of it, and if not: Would you feel proud of a victory you only have because you cheated?

MInd you, it's not the racing rules as such that bugs me (required airports etc) but the fact that we have too many of them. It takes hours before we are all clear on every rule, and even then we almost always have misunderstandings as we fly.

Maybe it is time to let people fly what they want, as long as it is subsonic.

Maybe even drop the bonus and bonus bank to cut down on the red tape on every leg. Sure, it would mean that you WILL have to wait out any penalty, but maybe that will convince people to fly more by the book (no more dive bombing).

End of rant, BRGDS

Sven

yup, bring it back to the bare basics, where it started all those years ago.

As ever more rules crept in, people got ever more frustrated and stopped enjoying it.

In an already declining hobby (in number of people total) that's not a good thing.

I'd not say anything subsonic, but anything with SOLELY turboprop or reciprocating engines that was produced in series production, and for which an addon is publicly available as freeware (if so, using a payware addon for the same aircraft type is ok too). The main contention as I remember was always about people flying hybrid jet/turboprop prototypes like the Thunderscreech.

Set a few rules, like no midair refueling, every continent has to be visited (set one city slab in the middle of each continent that is required to enforce this and ensure there's no discussion about whether some tiny island 500nm off shore counts as having visited the continent), and fly in real time only.

Well written, limited, simple to understand rules are what makes or breaks an event like this.

Have an executive committee in place to handles complaints and violations, with members from each team as members to guarantee impartiality.

I probably won't have the time to participate seriously, more's the pity. Busy job, long commute, and medical conditions that preclude me pulling all nighters make flying a lot an impossibility.

But I'm willing to lend a hand in organisation, route pre-planning, and maybe hop in for a leg or two when I can.

sigfile_dva.png

Jeroen, hope you are doing well!

Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm doing well, just with my chronic sleeping disorder (narcolepsy) I need to keep a pretty stable sleep rhythm as well as I can. Doing that, plus medication, it's pretty well controlled. 

But it does mean no all night FS sessions.

sigfile_dva.png

To be perfectly honest, I don't know (for me).  Not only do I not know what my availability might be that weekend (given that we're back to the race coinciding with our February long weekend), but my interest in Flightsim is not that great right now...  Truth be told, it's harder than usual for me to decide this year whether to race or go with other plans for the long weekend....  For myself, I'm going to have to make that decision closer to the race, if it happens...

Just to put it out there, would changing the date help with anything for anyone else?  (No, you don't have to change it just for me....)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

I am in for the race. I have enjoyed every single year! Simple or complex rules, I'll be ready. :)

Travis.png?dl=1