Sign in to follow this  
Guest akirabbq

ATIS reception range.

Guest Groundcrew

Does anyone know if the reception range for ATIS can be increased? I flew EGKK - EHAM last night with the PMDG 737NG. Had to fly VFR because it was an FMC programmed flight and we all know about ATC incompatibility etc, etc. Departure, SID, cruise and STAR went fine but I was still out of reception range for EHAM ATIS by the end of the STAR so I could not enter the arrival runway, IAF etc. Anyone know if I can get this information earlier? http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgSemper en excretum, solo profundum variat!

Yup ASV is your answer. ...dunno what I would do w/o this program!flying is all about the weather ...and the weather is ASV! :-jumpy

regardsEd

http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/134178.gifAMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024Mb PC3200 DDR, 300Gb HD 128Mb DDR Nvidia 6600GT PCI Express, Audigy 2 ZSCH Products Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant

Dear unsigned 'Groundcrew',If you use 'FSnav' you can not only export your FSnav built flight plan to your 2004 ATC but, also you can, by using the 'FSnav' export facility you can export it to your FMC.Then you will have full information and vectors given by FS9 ATC to your destination with active runway directions. Couldn't be easier.Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest P3_Super_Bee

>>It's hardcoded into FS as 30 miles. >>Hope this helps,>JimI believe 30 miles is a little short. My experiance is around 60 to 80 miles, never fails as ATC is giving you the call for expected approach, to the destination airport,(IE: Cessna 3JF, you are at 80 miles, turn right 260, decend 4000, expect visual RWY 34) ATIS comes to life... http://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpg

Guest Darren Howie

Yep 30nm is like WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY short.We normally get reception at around 180-210nm at FL35-390 in the bus.Really depends on intervening terrain.Whoever pulled 30nm out or there #### in the development team for FS9 obviously never set foot in an aeroplane in there entire life.Seems like a recurring problem in FS9 with things totally wrong like ILS reception range another.Darren

Hi Jim,AFAIK FlightWatch will give you the weather but not active runways etc. Or am I wrong here?Regards, Tom.

I don't fly at 350-390 in the C172 :), but reporting ATIS received is required when being handed off to Approach from center in an instrument flight- whenever that occurs. Some TRACON sectors don't want to deal with an ATIS report if there are subsequent sectors that you will be handed off to where you can also report ATIS. Of course any mountainous obstructions might change ATIS range- when I fly VFR (no MEA) into KCOS from the Denver area at 9,500' (less then 2,000' AGL at some points), I get a very scratchy ATIS until within about 20-30nm from the airport- but it's readable with a few repeats at longer distances.Something I believe that is not modelled into FS9, but is in the real world (at least here in the US) is that when ATIS is being changed, often there will be a minute or so where it's not available. One never knows when the frequency is quiet, whether it's just the end of the loop before starting again, or if it's down for the change (only a minute or two). In that case, the required report is "negative ATIS", which appeases the controller as they know you have looked for it at least.Bruce.

In my experience, I've never gotten ATIS beyond about 20 to 30 miles (depending on the airport), atleast in our region, but we're generally only several thousand feet AGL.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

I have got ATIS at a range of about 90nm at low altitude. I suspect the hardcoded 30m figure is another Flight Simulator urban myth.

Hi Jim,yes I should, but I guessed wrong surprisingly often. Many times FS chooses not the rwy I would choose considering the wind.Tom.

Guest akirabbq

The range of ATIS is based on how FS2004 loads the scenery. The ATIS will work as long as the scenery is in memory, so 100+ miles reception range is possible. We can't force FS2004 to load/unload an airport, so the ATIS range varies from 30-120nm in my own experience.This phenomenon also applies to IFR approach. ATC will start vectoring all aircrafts at once after the destination airport is loaded. Very annoying......