Sign in to follow this  
clive6354

P3D on external SSD ?

Hello

Is it possible to install and run P3D on an external SSD with addons (aircraft, scenery, textures and utilities)??

At present I run FSX SE and all addons from my C: drive (250Gb SSD  I have 95Gb remaining )  I am running out of space but wish to keep FSX SE

Clive Alexander

I don't think this will be a problem as long as the external drive gets the same drive letter assigned each time it is connected.

Otherwise the references in the registry will not match.

I would also expect it to run quite slow due to the usb interface.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Is it possible to install and run P3D on an external SSD  SE

Technically possible: Yes

Practically possible: Depends

It depends on what kind of external connection you use:

USB2: too slow

USB3: OK

ESATA: Best (if 6Gbps version)

But why not install the SSD internally next to your existing one?

If that is possible, it by far is the best solution.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Thank you for advice.

As i do not have a mounting bay free to accomodate another SSD my other option would be to use an external usb3 SSD,would this give acceptabe performance for P3D and PMDG aircraft?

Would it be acceptable to connect an internal SSD using SATA connection and secure the SSD unit to frame of the computer case as i do not have a mounting bracket avaiable?

Would it be acceptable to connect an internal SSD using SATA connection and secure the SSD unit to frame of the computer case

Yes

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Why not stay on the same drive and move stuff you don't need to an external drive, such as downloads.  My downloads of aircraft, scenery and stuff got moved off C: saving me 130GB of space so far.

Dan Downs KCRP

What I intend to do is:

Install a second SSD (SATA3 connection) and install and run P3D and PMDG aircraft from this SSD

My Specs for running P3D are:

I7-4790@3.6GHz

GTX 950 (2Gb Ram)

16Gb Ram

Windows Home Premium 64bit

Will this specification and configuration  be acceptable to install and run P3D with PMDG aircraft?

The Specificaions state that 30Gb is required with at least 10Gb on drive C:  Does this mean that if I install P3D on a seperate SSD (not drive C:) it will requre at least 10Gb of space on drive C; whether or not drive C: is thedrive that P3D is intalled on

The P3D installer needs space on the C: drive to unpack files - hence the 10GB

After installation, some files remain in  \programdata and \users\xxx\appdata\roaming\lockheed martin, but no more than approx 40MB

Would it be acceptable to connect an internal SSD using SATA connection and secure the SSD unit to frame of the computer case as i do not have a mounting bracket avaiable?

I have 3 x 500GB SSD's in my game PC (mini tower) and haven't bothered to mount them in brackets / frame...

They just are lying loose in the disk area of my PC. They are light and since they contain no mechanical parts it is not required to have them installed horizontally/vertically.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Thankyou for the response and advice.  The response and advice is what I had expected but I was aking the questions to confirm my own thoughts and considerations  when moving to P3D