Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Sanity Check new computer P3D- Advice needed -

Yes that is $3300 US.  I guess if I am not smart enough to build my own, I'll need to pay someone $1300.  Hell, I paid $6,000 for my current system from Stealth Machines (no monitor either).  Then again, I paid $70,000 for a new Dodge Hellcat Charger with 707 HP and live in Long Island where the speed limit is 55 mph.  My top speed is only 80 mph so far.  Go figure!  I always over do it.

Paul Gugliotta

I guess if I am not smart enough to build my own, I'll need to pay someone $1300.  

That's a HUGE markup though. Last time I built a top notch PC for someone and spent considerable time building the best system I could, great components, great performance, super tidy cable management, I made 100 of my English pounds.

A $1300 markup would be defined by many as a ripoff!

Is there anywhere else you can order from, not such a ripoff?

I guess if I am not smart enough to build my own

I'm pretty sure you would be smart enough.  :smile: It's just overcoming the apprehension and diving in. As long as there are no issues, it's pretty straightforward.

Yeah, no way I could build my own machine. I may have 160 IQ and two mater degrees in engineering, but I'll probably set the house on fire or get electrocuted if I try assembling such a beast.

Really ?, Two masters degrees in engineering and you never had any exposure to electrical work or wiring, wow.

We are basically talking about pushing a few cards into slots and connecting a few colour coded and labelled connectors here, I have seen harder childrens games than building a PC these days.

But hey if you want to pay thousands for someone to do an hours work for you then fine, go ahead.

• Upvote 1

As long as each component works, then yes, building a PC is like building a LEGO car as long as you follow an assembly checklist and test each component as you are building the PC.  When I built my latest PC, I needed 4 hours for physical assembly and about 24 hours for the hardware burn-in test before I declared the PC completed.  There are plenty of Youtube tutorials on building PCs, testing components, etc.  I build a new system every 5 years and do find it is a hassle to reacquaint myself with the building process, research the components, and repurchase diagnostics tools. 

As far as the choice of flight sim, you will probably still need FSX for some of your add-ons, so why not pick up FSX:Steam Edition when it is on sale in late December for $5?  Then, you can build FSX:SE to your current configuration, migrate your flying to P3D, then only use FSX:SE when an add-on doesn't work in P3D.

Really ?, Two masters degrees in engineering and you never had any exposure to electrical work or wiring, wow.

We are basically talking about pushing a few cards into slots and connecting a few colour coded and labelled connectors here, I have seen harder childrens games than building a PC these days.

But hey if you want to pay thousands for someone to do an hours work for you then fine, go ahead.

Depends on the type of engineering. He didn't say Electrical Engineering.

Quite a bit of hyperbole from you... not exactly a childrens game, but yes not hard for those reasonably handy.

We musn't be too hard on those not wanting to self build. Quite a few people aren't, unlike us, that way inclined.

"Sanity Check" well Mr. Gugliotta seems like a majority of people here are advising against spending so much money for someone else to build it for you. But you clearly have the money to burn so go right ahead.

Depends on the type of engineering. He didn't say Electrical Engineering.

Even young folk taking a basic mechanical apprenticeship here in the UK  need also to do electrical engineering  as part of their studies, it is almost impossible to work as a mechanical engineer in the UK without also possessing at least basic electrical engineering skills.

I find it strange that someone would go to the trouble of gaining two engineering masters degrees without having some interest and curiosity in how things work or have at least some mechanical/electrical aptitude.

5 years ago, my daughter assembled my 2500k rig with my supervision/instruction.  (I had to install the heat sink though.)

She was 7 at the time.

• Upvote 1

I used to always self build.

Only problem is if you accidentally damage an i7 cpu or GTX 1080 graphics card then it is a costly problem as may not be covered by warranty.

I use a store that has very cheap parts and only charges $100 for the build and with 12 months warranty for the PC + any extra warranties as per the manufacturer for the particular component.

$100 is great peace of mind for me :-)

Then again, I paid $70,000 for a new Dodge

Well there is your problem, at 4448 lbs of  "Dodge" - you'll need all of that 707 HP to get moving (power to weight 6.29 lbs per HP) ... have you thought about a Lotus + a Turbo for about the same $$$ and you have 2000 lbs at 400 Hp (power to weight of 5.0 lbs per HP)?  :)

I forgot to include the case cost - $100-$200 pending on what you need/want, but that still put you at a $1000 over ... and I think that Dodge will want that $1000 for it's 13 mpg rating ... hehe.

Cheers, Rob.

I used to always self build.

Only problem is if you accidentally damage an i7 cpu or GTX 1080 graphics card then it is a costly problem as may not be covered by warranty.

I use a store that has very cheap parts and only charges $100 for the build and with 12 months warranty for the PC + any extra warranties as per the manufacturer for the particular component.

$100 is great peace of mind for me :-)

Here in the UK, we have a company callad Scan. They provide very cheap insurance so that when you build your PC, It's covered for accidental damage.

Great idea.

OK:

Yeah the degree are in Chemical Engineering. I am sure I can assemble the machine if I had the time. I am not sure about the liquid cooling and optimizing the over-clocking. I was having Jetsim load in P3D with PMDG 777, 737 and optimize it for FSX. Again not a $1300 fee. The $1300 extra for the build that PaulF came up with doesn't sit well with me either. I may have to re-consider. I may use this data do negotiate down a bit.

Regarding the Hellcat: I always had Corvettes. It was my gift to myself for being cancer free for 5 years. It is the next best thing to drive besides a 777.

Paul Gugliotta

not sure about the liquid cooling and optimizing the over-clocking.

Both easy. I'm a fan of air cooling, but AIO water cooler are easy to fit. No harder than air cooling. Overclocking is pretty straightforward these days too.

But yes, if you don't fancy self building fair enough. Many don't.

Perhaps you could check a few custom sites and get an assembled price with the same/similar components. I've never dealt with Jetline, but seems like you are paying a bunch for assembly. Perhaps the name Jetline is worth a hefty premium, but I doubt it.

If it is software installation, there is a massive amount of information here and elsewhere to get up and running with just about any platform/addon. Also, in my experience, the majority of time is not installing; but testing, tweaking...testing, tweaking...

Best of luck

Well, with the title of your thread as "Sanity Check P3D" I would recommend if you intend to "study" flight simulation to go with P3D.

I switched from FSX and find P3D a more immersive study, better graphics, better memory management (with some caveats).

Buy or build it yourself is your decision.  The system you are looking at will certainly run either sim very well, but will still probably CTD if you move all the sliders to the far right with lots of add-ons.

Stephen Forsgren