Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Overclocking & Cooling

Great as it is, I’ve swapped out my Noctua NH-D14 air cooler, for a Corsair H115i AIO liquid unit. Quality wise I’m delighted.  The Corsair unit appears to be of outstanding quality, but then I’ve come to expect nothing less from Corsair.

HOWEVER, to achieve the 5ghz overclock I occasionally want, those 140mm Corsair fans are running at full tilt, and sound like a 747 on its run up!!!!  Even at 80%, they're like a 737;-)

Does the panel think it might be worth swapping the fans for Noctua items?  I know they’re renowned for being quiet, but I wonder by just how much when running at top speed?

Yep... like I've said repeatedly on the forum... many of the top AIO manufacturers cheat. They include super noisy, high RPM fans.

If you compare the same fans on the AIO and on the D14/D15/D15S... the Noctua coolers reighn supreme.

You can of course switch to Noctua fans. Great fans but will be lower RPM. So you won't achieve the same cooling. How much warmer I can't tell you. But yes, they will be very quiet. You can compare noise levels of your fans by checking the specifications on the web sites.

Your issue is one of the reasons why I cool my 6700K at 4.6, super quiet and very cool, with the fantastic NH-D15S.

I'm wondering why you switched to AIO? The D14 isn't as cool as the D15 or my favoued D15S, but not far off.

Yep... like I've said repeatedly on the forum... many of the top AIO manufacturers cheat. They include super noisy, high RPM fans.

If you compare the same fans on the AIO and on the D14/D15/D15S... the Noctua coolers reighn supreme.

You can of course switch to Noctua fans. Great fans but will be lower RPM. So you won't achieve the same cooling. How much warmer I can't tell you. But yes, they will be very quiet. You can compare noise levels of your fans by checking the specifications on the web sites.

Your issue is one of the reasons why I cool my 6700K at 4.6, super quiet and very cool, with the fantastic NH-D15S.

I'm wondering why you switched to AIO? The D14 isn't as cool as the D15 or my favoued D15S, but not far off.

Thanks for detailed reply Martin.

Agreed, the Noctua air coolers are simply unsurpassed - even the D14.  I modified mine with a Dremel to enable higher RAM clearance. It made zero difference to its cooling, even at 4.7ghz @ 1.3.

The ONLY reason I want a small liquid cooling block, is that I'm frequently (at least twice a week) inside my PC, trying various bits of kit, and generally just 'tinkering'.  As you know, working 'around' that enormous lump of metal can be a problem.  That's why I recently upgraded my elderly, but massive CM Stacker case, for an even BIGGER 780T Corsair;-)

For what its worth, I'm also discovering that the H115i fans only ever need to run at over about 66% when reaching very high vcore settings.  I think I'll definitely switch to Noctua fans though.

Being as you overclock, I'll also pick your brains about that if I may...

Until recently, I've never used either XMP or Offset mode, instead doing everything manually. In fact, I have very little (if any) understanding of those two modes.

My RAM is nothing special, and only tops out at 1600mhz when using XMP.

What I'm seriously confused about when running XMP mode, is the vcore.  Doesn't matter what voltage I apply manually, in XMP mode, according to any windows monitor I use, vcore goes well above it.  Is that normal?

XMP mode does 'appear' to be proving a more stable overclock at higher speeds.

I think I'll definitely switch to Noctua fans though.

That's a 280 mm rad isn't it the H115i? In which case, the Noctua NF-A14's would be ideal. Not used one myself but looks ideal.

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-pwm

The other option is the NF-A15. A 150mm fan but with 140mm fan mounting holes. I have no idea if they would fit on your rad though.

This fan is installed on my NH-D15S, so I do have experience of that guy.

Don't bother with push pull, two fans are enough. Push pull only reduces temps by a few degrees. Velocity through the rad is the same, so barely any difference in cooling, the slight reduction is due to a fraction more static pressure.

What I'm seriously confused about when running XMP mode, is the vcore.  Doesn't matter what voltage I apply manually, in XMP mode, according to any windows monitor I use, vcore goes well above it.  Is that normal?

XMP mode does 'appear' to be proving a more stable overclock at higher speeds.

Vcore is nothing to do with XMP. 

XMP stands for Extreme Memory Profile. The XMP profile sets the frequency, timings and voltage for the RAM. Whereas Vcore is the CPU core voltage. So theoretically this shouldn't happen.

However... what can impact this is the way the BIOS reacts to the XMP profile. So, there have been reports of some BIOS's, reading the XMP profile and then increasing the multiplier a tad. Also the memory controller voltage has been known to increase.

Perhaps something like that is going on with you? Best thing to do is install the latest BIOS, and as long as the system is stable and the voltage not excessive, don't let it concern you.  :smile:

Westman might know more about this phenomenon. 

Yes it's a 280mm rad.

I've got a couple of the NF-A15 round fans you mention with 120 mounts from two different D14 coolers. Much louder than the 140 versions for some reason. I think they have higher rpm.  Wont quite fit the rad when top mounted anyway, so sort of irrelevant-)

I'm really intrigued by whats happening to vcore when using XMP... The multiplier does indeed go up a little, to about 103, but the vcore jumps up to 1.49 at times, which I'm not willing to ignore;-)  Think maybe I'll go back to manual overclock.

As I'm typing this, the postman arrived arrived with two NF-P14s Redux (black & grey) units;-)  They top out at 1500 as apposed to the other 900rpm units. I very much doubt they'll be allowed to run at that here though;-)

I've got a couple of the NF-A15 round fans you mention with 120 mounts from two different D14 coolers. Much louder than the 140 versions for some reason.

They weren't PWN on the D14 though. So would be running full whack.

I'm really intrigued by whats happening to vcore when using XMP... The multiplier does indeed go up a little, to about 103, but the vcore jumps up to 1.49 at times, which I'm not willing to ignore;-)  Think maybe I'll go back to manual overclock.

2500K wasn't it? Max safe voltage is 1.52 volts so I see on google. 

Manual overclock you say, you mean manual RAM voltage and frequency, manual RAM overclocking? 

For the CPU, I take it you have set the voltage manually and fixed. Not offset or adaptive?

CPU is i7 2600k.  Currently set to 1.35v.  I think I was lucky with it.  Once had it to 5.1ghz @ 1.44v but got scared and backed off;-) It doesn't become 100% stable until bringing it down to 4.8ghz.  I usually run it at 4.7 just for safety sake.  My system is now getting old by current standards, but does most things good enough for me.  I'm pretty sure the as far as most things go, my RAM is the current bottleneck - just 16gb @ 1600htz (9-9-9-24)

Never known enough about offset or adaptive to feel confident using it. So I only use either XMP or fully manual.
What I now realise, is that when using XMP, I don't 'THINK' I should also then be trying to change other settings like vcore ???
This RAM only has the one XMP profile anyway, which seems to defeat its purpose in my view.

Just dropped in those new Noctua fans.  WHAT a difference Martin. OUTSTANDING!!  The db differences listed on the websites doesn't really do them justice, unless one is familiar the strangeness that is decibels;-)

At full speed, they're still MUCH quieter than the Corsair fans at 66%.  And, at less than £14 each, I call that outstanding value too!

As you may gather, I get almost as much fun 'tinkering' as I do flying;-)

Are you using the Corsair Link software? Do you have a particular fan profile set? Have you tried creating a custom fan profile in Corsair Link for your H115i? Your processor shouldn't need excessive cooling at idle, and it's not going to be working flat out all the time unless you're running some sort of performance test.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Would you guys recommend CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i with i7 6700k ocd to 4,5 ghz? 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Never known enough about offset or adaptive to feel confident using it. So I only use either XMP or fully manual.

What I now realise, is that when using XMP, I don't 'THINK' I should also then be trying to change other settings like vcore ???

This RAM only has the one XMP profile anyway, which seems to defeat its purpose in my view.

Offset and adaptive and manual CPU voltage are nothing to do with the RAM's XMP profile.

CPU overclocking and RAM overclocking [and XMP is a form of RAM overclocking] are two different things.

You can overclock your CPU [including it's voltage] and leave the RAM at stock.

You can Set the XMP profile [which is RAM overclocking] and leave the CPU at stock frequency and voltage.

You can overclock both RAM [set XMP profile] and CPU.

Yes, absolutely you can alter your Vcore if you have set the XMP profile. They are both separate. Everybody does that when they overclock. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to overclock your CPU.

I usually overclock my CPU and once stable, set the XMP profile, then test again. Some prefer to do it the other way around, namely set the XMP profile and then see how far they can overclock. Memory controllers aren't all created equally, the silicone lottery applies to them too.

The XMP profile is simply what the manufacturer of the RAM has verified that the RAM will overclock to. Nothing more nothing less. So fulfils it's purpose. It saves you having to enter the RAM's tested frequency, timings and voltage manually.

Would you guys recommend CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i with i7 6700k ocd to 4,5 ghz? 

It's a very nice 280mm rad, AIO cooler. If I were a fan of AIO coolers I would probably recommend it yes. But I'm not, I prefer zero chance of leaks and less noise.

Hence... NH-D15S. Cools my 6700K at 4.6, super quiet and very cool.

Its fine , H115i , NZXT Kraken X61 , H100I, NH-D15S if you go för air cooling.

All of them is good for 4.8ghz if you ar lucky with the silicon lotteria.

Seriously Ivan, having just moved from the Noctua air cooler to the Corsair H115i, if you're only planning on going to 4.5 - 4.6, then, if you have the space in your case, go for the Noctua.  Be aware though, they are huuuuuge;-) They're simply miles ahead of ANY competition when it comes to air cooling.  They're even ahead of MANY AIO water coolers.

I have setup various profiles with the Corsair Link software.  I love that software. It even pics up the fan in my fairly old Corsair PSU.  I can now monitor evrything from just one place.

....but nosier than NH-D15S at full tilt.

Yes Martin Its true, if a go for a normal allday Gaming Rig up to 4.7-4.9ghz the NH-15S would be my first option.