Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Overclocking & Cooling

Still having a headache with overclocking though....:-(

Doesn't matter what CPU voltage I set in the BIOS, when I ramp up CPU usage, the vcore is going up WAY beyond what I've set manually. As far as 1.61volts!!!!  Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

It sounds to me like you aren't set to a fixed CPU voltage at all. If the voltage increases under load by that much, that sounds like either offset or adaptive CPU voltage.

What does it do at idle? Does it drop the frequency right down, and the voltage right down?

Just a thought, but is Load Line Calibration too high? Overcompensating for vdroop.

Is this still with the XMP RAM profile? If so the hypothesised issue we spoke about earlier could be at play.

My advice would be to check out an overclocking tutorial for your board and CPU and work through it step by step.

Well, it seems I'm not going totally nuts, and I now have it in writing so to speak;-)  Totally surprised to receive a non automated response from Asustek re this.  It's apparently a symptom arising from "...a particular set of very rare circumstances when utilizing some overclocking aspects of the gen1 revistion of this motherboard" (their spelling, not mine).  Quite why its never been addressed with a BIOS update, he hasn't answered!  What he has suggested, is a bizarre method of dealing with it, which I shall try today.  Watch this space......;-)

Oh right, there you go then Phil. Was it related to the XMP profile or not?

Let us know how you get on.

I'm intrigued to find out what this bizarre method is. If it involves running around the woods naked, film it so we can all have a laugh.

Cheeky booger;-)

I'm gobsmacked that a)  I got a reply, and b) that this actually seems to have worked;-)

".... please follow the step below oder in to fully reset UEFI BIOS for P8Z68-VPro gen1.

down power system and remove from power outlet main
wait for all led on P8Z68-VPro gen1 to extinguish
from P8Z68-VPro gen1 take out cmos battery
from P8Z68-VPro gen1 take out cpu cooler and cpu

move cmos jmp to pins show below for not less 20 second
wait P8Z68-VPro gen1 for not less 30 minutes
reverse steps"

Not the finest translation, but I got the idea;-)

And not one single piece of clothing involved Martin;-)