Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Need EFI BIOS Help Please

Motherboard is Asus P8Z68-VPro with i7 2600k (gen1 & latest BIOS from Asus)

I’ve had the CPU overclocked by varying amounts, from about 4.1 to almost 5ghz since fitting it, about 4 years ago. Something bizarre has now happened to my BIOS…  I can no longer reset the board back to default stock settings.  When I do, all settings EXCEPT the overclock, revert to default.  Doesn’t matter what I do, the board reapplies the 4.4ghz overclock to the CPU.

Tried ‘re-flashing’ the BIOS again with latest from Asus.  The flash worked correctly, removing all my saved profiles, but STILL remains overclocked after using either F5 or the menu option.

Not a major issue for me, but could be when it comes to selling the boardL

Any ideas?

Really hoped wouldn't need to do this, as itmeant pulling the video card, but I pulled the cmos battery and shorted the jumper as per the manual.  It certainly reset the BIOS, as I then had to reset the date and time in windows.

How bizarre is this though....?  Its STILL overclocked at 4.4ghz!!!!  Surely this is not theoretically possible??!!

It's a retail motherboard, so none of that silly stuff that chilblast does in the BIOS.  When I first built this PC, it ran at 3.4ghz.  I CAN underclock it run at that, but if I reset to defaults, I'm back at 4.4 - Whats going on?

Heeeeeellllllllp!

Perhaps set the clocks and voltage back to stock values manually, then try to revert to default again. I have no idea why that would be happening, but it's the only idea o could think of so far.

that's interesting, i have same Motherboard, mine is just gen3, and 2700K CPU. Maybe it has something to do with Asus utilities, do you have them installed? When i got my PC - default clock was 4.4GHz(which is not default for 2700K BTW), but it was set to "adaptive" or something like that in Asus preinstalled tools. I uninstalled all Asus tools and i have manual OC @4.8 for arround 4 years. Never tried to revert to default clock, but i could try if you decide to sell it :)

Tried ‘re-flashing’ the BIOS again with latest from Asus. The flash worked correctly, removing all my saved profiles, but STILL remains overclocked after using either F5 or the menu option.

Is the TPU switch off?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Good call on the TPU switch. If the board has one. Might be just TPU1 but could be two position switch with TPU2 also.

TPU 1 and 2 is also in Ai Suite as a software fixed overclock mode, so check its not on there too.

Is the TPU switch off?

gb.

YES, YES, YES!!!!

Great call there on the TPU switch;-)  Tiny little thing, but I've just switched cases, so must've switched it over during move.

Thanks;-)

Believe it or not I did the same thing on my new rig. Noticed the green LED though, so realised before firing it up.  :smile: