Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Should I upgrade from P3Dv1 to the current version?

I am aware that lots of folks have been commenting about the current version 4 has VAS problems.  I am teetering weather to uninstall my current version and install a clean 3.4.

Why I am asking this question is that after I bought and installed the latest ActiveSky16, only to find it won't work with 3.1.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.  

Not really sure what you're asking. There is no version "4". (Maybe I'm confused because you keep switching between single numbers and full numbers). I think they all have VAS issues if you overload them and din't if you keep it clean.

Some people have VAS problems with 3.4. I personally am fine with it, but VAS was slightly better in 3.3.

As for AS16, it works fine in 3.4 if you install the latest beta version (see AS forum for details)

Peter

Not really sure what you're asking. There is no version "4". (Maybe I'm confused because you keep switching between single numbers and full numbers). I think they all have VAS issues if you overload them and din't if you keep it clean.

He is talking about going from 3.1 to 3.4. Though not very clearly. Specially the topic title is quite confusing. But anyway, I would definitely go from 3.1 to 3.4. It's better in many aspects. Some people have some VAS problems with 3.4 (I don't) but they are comparing 3.4 with 3.3: 3.4 is always better than 3.1!

I am aware that lots of folks have been commenting about the current version 4 has VAS problems. I am teetering weather to uninstall my current version and install a clean 3.4.

Why I am asking this question is that after I bought and installed the latest ActiveSky16, only to find it won't work with 3.1.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

I can help here, perhaps speaking personally.

For the last year I have been on P3dv3.0. Had no problems with anything. I run FTX Global/Vector/all the regions and add on airports from FTX and Fly Tampa/Aerosoft. Have PMDG NGX, Aerosoft Bus, Mjc Dash 8 and AA Comanche. All fairly high VAS users.

I run MCE, which gives me a VAS readout after each voice command, so I can see what the VAS is up to constantly!

Now, I am a bit of a Luddite. Or from the old school of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

However recently I saw that I was being left behind with developers who are running with the "upgrade" flow and my P3dv3.0. was beginning to become obsolete. The REX WX Advantage weather gauge for example, offers no support for versions less than P3dv3.2. GSX have changed the menu displays in later versions of P3d.

So two days ago I bit the bullet and updated to P3dv3.4. The latest with the hotfix. Now using Poppet's upgrade instructions it was painless. I have client and content installed. Scenery is pointless I have FTX over the entire planet.

Results....Well early days yet but I see some improvement in graphic rendering, specifically colour, lighting and bloom. VAS appears the same, however I have yet to fly a long haul.

On the negative side, they have put very many extra features in P3dv3.4 that I consider useless for my requirements in a flight simulator. For example the Avatar can now carry a gun and have IR targeting? (Perhaps to gain favour with youngsters who knows?)

It struck me that LM are wringing every last byte out of the 3.8 Gb or so that we can use in the 32 bit sim.

I can only speculate that the next step many be to go 64 bit. But that's for another topic!

So I have joined the update "flow". If only to keep current with developer upgrades. Eventually things become unsupported. Remember XP?

So my recommendations are just use Poppet's instructions and go get the latest!

Best regards

David.