Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

XPX: VFW614, rare and pure fun to fly

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

Today I bought Peters Aircraft new VFW614 (Vereinigte Flugtechnische Werke).

This bird is (was) as rare as it is fun to fly it. ;-)

Old school navigation, and extremely nice hand flying characteristics, I just can´t stop flying this thing!

de9jht4aslymbk96s.jpg

de9jhzl07495u5v2c.jpg

de9ji6fjaku1km2kk.jpg

de9jie2ssx97rzuys.jpg

de9jikauml2cqn0xw.jpg

de9jir3rqkx3j9nk4.jpg

de9jixgkxvsod6ohw.jpg

de9jj4rzavuz4r150.jpg

de9jjhhgbtudcxfus.jpg

de9jjo64b9kdhfuro.jpg

de9jjxgqs32779w90.jpg

de9jk6lon4bej0a6c.jpg

de9jkevyjj2mrgnlw.jpg

de9jkknhcgg5denb8.jpg

de9jkrynkrhs8e2ys.jpg

de9jkyf14hkkr24jo.jpg

de9jl4r1o6au3j2is.jpg

Guest Mik75

Zero reaction reflects the lack of commercial success, this remarkable aircraft suffered from, when it entered the market in the early 70s. ;-)

This plane even has been a test aircraft for the Airbus avionics (FCU, PFD, ND, etc.) when the A380 was in development.

As a kid I used to build Airfix kits. Usually the wings are keyed so they only go into the fuselage one way. With the VFW I think someone succeeded in sticking them in upside down!  :Tounge:

Impressive looking sim version - seems very close to the real thing in detail and looks. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Guest Mik75

As a kid I used to build Airfix kits. Usually the wings are keyed so they only go into the fuselage one way. With the VFW I think someone succeeded in sticking them in upside down! :Tounge:

Impressive looking sim version - seems very close to the real thing in detail and looks. :cool:

Yeah! ;-)

The idea behind it has been simple but very effective.

With the engines mounted like that, it had more ground clearance, less chance of sucking in dirt (it was also aimed to be operated in countries that typically only offer dirt strips) and less noise pollution underneath it.

Peters version is very well done, and it's extremely enjoyable to operate and fly!

I remember back in 1974 or 1975 ( Would have been prior to November of '75) when  the US Coast Guard was evaluating candidates to replace the HU-16E Albatross (Goat). A number of OEMs provided demo aircraft for evaluation, even painting them in the Coast Guard colors. I remember showing up at CGAS San Fransisco to pick up my dad who was a Coast Guard C-130 driver, and seeing one of these on the ramp wearing the Coast Guard red white and blue.

They didn't win the competition, which was eventually awarded to the French with a Falcon 20 derivitive, which became the HU-25A, but I vividly remember seeing the plane, and thinking how odd it looked with the engines up on the tall pylons above the wing.

Edit:

After posting this I did a little online searching and came across the following that gives a little history of the competition, even mentioning the VFW614 entry.

How the US Coast Guard Ended up with the Dassault Falcon

( http://www.tailsthroughtime.com/2011/12/how-us-coast-guard-ended-up-with.html )

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

And this configuration lives again in the HondaJet! I'm seriously considering purchasing this plane, nice to see people enjoying it.

Guest Mik75

And this configuration lives again in the HondaJet! I'm seriously considering purchasing this plane, nice to see people enjoying it.

Yes! This configuration has got many aerodynamic advantages! (i.e. an extraordinary amount of lift, even at lower speeds, which is recreated in this addon extremely well)

Peters VFW614 has a few minor issues he is aware of. I think all of them will be addressed in v1.4 that should get released in the not too distant future.

I really enjoy flying this thing A LOT!

I really enjoy flying this thing A LOT!

That's awesome, is the systems modelling good? Things like hydraulic, pressurization, etc?

I thought the Honda jet was the only OWTEM acft - interesting

Nice shots

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Mik75

That's awesome, is the systems modelling good? Things like hydraulic, pressurization, etc?

From what I´ve done so far with the a/c, I can say, that the system modeling is on a nice level!

The all manual pressurization system is working according to the real manual (which is included in the download), hydraulics (with rudder test, transfer pump and all that good stuff) seems to be complete as well!

Very Unique....Very Cool :smile: 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick