Sign in to follow this  
Meeko

The Trumpet and NTDLL.dll

My system is W10, i7-4790 CPU, 64-bit, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 980 Ti (latest drivers). I run P3D V. 3.4.  For the last 4 or 5 months I have been having CTD’s while I have P3D open.  It can happen anytime during a flight.  The odd occasion I can scrape through a whole flight without a CTD, but that’s becoming a rarity.  Today, I was still on the ground with the Majestic Q400 at NZCH preparing the FMC when the program crashed. 

Immediately prior to a crash I hear 3 or 4 notes of a trumpet playing, P3D freezes, and then the error message “Prepar3D will now close …..”  I thought it may have been some other program updating as at times I’ve also heard the trumpet when I haven’t had P3D open, but I think from reading this forum it may dispel that theory. 

I’ve downloaded and read the Prepar3D Guide v1.  I’ve since downloaded Event Viewer, and also ticked open the ContentErrorLog.txt in P3D.  The Event Viewer showed the following error today;

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          11/20/2016 3:41:55 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      BruceRoss-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.4.14.18870, time stamp: 0x581239e2

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.447, time stamp: 0x5819be95

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000d98c1

Faulting process id: 0x2648

Faulting application start time: 0x01d242d51bb931d2

Faulting application path: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 21d52648-7371-4fb6-9575-ad6e4dfaaa95

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I note in the Event Viewer the line;

“Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll”   Does this mean I’m having NTDLL.dll problems?

The ContentErrorLog.txt is a bit more difficult to read.  The last 6 recorded errors are;

[error.938]

error=Duplicate Section Name

File: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Alabeo PA23_Aztec_ F_250\aircraft.cfg

Section: hydraulic_system

[error.939]

error=Found Duplicate Key Name

File:C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado 525A Citation CJ2\aircraft.cfg

Section:attitude_indicators

Key:attitude_indicator.0

[error.940]

error=Key values exist outside of a section:

File:C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado Aero_Commander_500S\aircraft.cfg

Key:

[error.941]

error=Duplicate Section Name

File: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado TBM850\aircraft.cfg

Section: pitot_static

[error.942]

File:C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\FTX AU Boeing B787-9\aircraft.cfg

Section:fltsim.0

Key:ui_variation

[error.943]

File:C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\FTX AU Boeing B787-9\aircraft.cfg

Section:fltsim.1

Key:ui_variation

It’s interesting to see mentioned the Carenado 525A Citation CJ2 and the Carenado Aero Commander as I haven’t flown then for about a month. 

I have had the update for ObjectFlow but my problems started long before I updated to P3D v 3.4.  I was going to try Jim’s suggestion of disabling ObjectFlow but there was no mention of ObjectFlow in the dll.xml. (I take it I’m looking in the right place – C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\dll.xml).

Anyone got any suggestion to stop this trumpet from playing?

Bruce R

Bruce Ross

Hello Bruce, 

Are you using any Traffic AI Add On's ?  

I have had the update for ObjectFlow but my problems started long before I updated to P3D v 3.4.  I was going to try Jim’s suggestion of disabling ObjectFlow but there was no mention of ObjectFlow in the dll.xml. (I take it I’m looking in the right place – C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\dll.xml).

The Object Flow Entry is located in  ► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ►Lockheed Martin  dll.xml 

I was going to try Jim’s suggestion of disabling ObjectFlow but there was no mention of ObjectFlow in the dll.xml. (I take it I’m looking in the right place – C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\dll.xml).

Elaine might have beat me to it but there is a dll.xml located in the same folder as your P3D.cfg and in the same folder as your scenery.cfg.  The latter is the new location.  Both are required. For me, Orbx placed it in the dll.xml in the same folder as the scenery.cfg.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you for the replies. 

Elaine, I do have Traffic A1 addons.  I have MyTraffic Pro 6a.  MyTrafficmil.bgl has been disabled for sometime.  I also have ORBX A1 Traffic Aus & NZ.  

I see I was well off the beaten track for the correct dll.xml file.  I've now located the correct one and disabled ObjectFlow.  I'll have a play again during the next couple of days to see what happens and report back.

Your help is appreciated.

Bruce R

Bruce Ross

I've had 5 or 6 hour long flights with ObjectFlow disabled and everything has worked okay.  This evening an hour and a quarter flight with the Majestic Q400 came to an end about 50 metres from the end of the runway on finals.  I got the dreaded trumpet and the error "Prepar3d will now close ....."  It seems ObjectFlow may not be my problem.  Anyone have any other ideas??

Here's my error report;

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          24/11/2016 6:13:01 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      BruceRoss-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.4.14.18870, time stamp: 0x581239e2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.447, time stamp: 0x5819be95
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000d98c1
Faulting process id: 0x2980
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2460054d8eed5
Faulting application path: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 8dbe63c4-bb70-410b-bdd0-3e22a27c6862
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-11-24T05:13:01.063028400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>44450</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>BruceRoss-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.4.14.18870</Data>
    <Data>581239e2</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.14393.447</Data>
    <Data>5819be95</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>000d98c1</Data>
    <Data>2980</Data>
    <Data>01d2460054d8eed5</Data>
    <Data>C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>8dbe63c4-bb70-410b-bdd0-3e22a27c6862</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Bruce R  

Bruce Ross

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll

This is the same problem that I'm having with the PMDG 737NGX.  I can fly another aircraft for hours and not have any problems at all with P3D, but I can't get into my NGX for ten minutes without P3D crashing with this ntdll.dll error.

If anyone can help, it would be great.  I really miss flying my NGX.

Thank you,

Bob

Remember that practically every program running on Windows will be making calls via ntdll.dll and if those programs have a fault they can expire while ntdll.dll is loaded showing a fault in that module although there's nothing wrong in the module. Generally any problems running .NET C++ and SimConnect can raise an exception in those libraries and is not a sign that the .NET or C++ or SimConnect library is faulty, but it is usually a sign that the problems are in the code that utilises those libraries - an addon. Best thing to do is install everything as the User that will be using the software and ensure Modify permissions are available to the Users group for all files accessed by the setup, simply having Admin privileges does not automatically mean permission to write anywhere, ensure all SimConnect versions are installed, ESP, 60905, 61242 and 61259 from the P3D distribution, ensure no duplicate sections in the many dll.xml and exe.xml files. When we encounter errors we should always strip the sim back to as little changes from stock as we can get away with to test an aircraft or scenery with notheing else to interfere with the test, comment out sections in dll and exe xml files with <!-- Text --> or set manual load to true or disabled to true. When turning off AI aircraft apps to test remember also to remove temporarily the references to the aircraft folders as well.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It seems ObjectFlow may not be my problem. Anyone have any other ideas??

With ObjectFlow disabled you had no crash and flew for 5 or 6 hours w/o getting a CTD.  To me that indicates you fixed your problem (I was getting exactly the same crashes when starting up in the PMDG 737NGX at KLAX in Orbx Southern California).  I disabled my ObjectFlow and the crashes stopped).  The crash you had with the Majestic is likely another problem.  Your exception code indicates you had a heap corruption.  I would try the Majestic flight again and see if the error reoccurs.  Make sure you restarted Windows first.

Best regards,

Jim

This is the same problem that I'm having with the PMDG 737NGX.  I can fly another aircraft for hours and not have any problems at all with P3D, but I can't get into my NGX for ten minutes without P3D crashing with this ntdll.dll error.

If anyone can help, it would be great.  I really miss flying my NGX.

Thank you,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Where were you at when the NGX crashed.  In Orbx territory?  If so, disable the objectflow for P3D.dll in the dll.xml and see if this fixes the problem.  If you had any other addon, like AS16 running, make sure it is off.  It is hard for me to believe the PMDG 737 is at fault but that's what I had loaded at KLAX in Orbx Southern Cal territory when I had the same exact crashes.  To fix my error, I had to disable objectflow for P3D.  Now I have objectflow for P3D enabled and no problems.  Even with the PMDG 737 loaded. 

Best regards,

Jim

Okay Bob, as I was typing my response, I had the PMDG 737 loaded at KLAX in Orbx Southern Calif.  The objectflow for P3D module was loaded (lastest update).  The sim crashed with the NTDLL.dll error.  I suspect the objectflow for P3D.dll.  I won't have time to diagnose until Friday as it is Thanksgiving here in Virginia.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

With ObjectFlow disabled you had no crash and flew for 5 or 6 hours w/o getting a CTD.  To me that indicates you fixed your problem (I was getting exactly the same crashes when starting up in the PMDG 737NGX at KLAX in Orbx Southern California).  I disabled my ObjectFlow and the crashes stopped).  The crash you had with the Majestic is likely another problem.  Your exception code indicates you had a heap corruption.  I would try the Majestic flight again and see if the error reoccurs.  Make sure you restarted Windows first.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Bob,

Where were you at when the NGX crashed.  In Orbx territory?  If so, disable the objectflow for P3D.dll in the dll.xml and see if this fixes the problem.  If you had any other addon, like AS16 running, make sure it is off.  It is hard for me to believe the PMDG 737 is at fault but that's what I had loaded at KLAX in Orbx Southern Cal territory when I had the same exact crashes.  To fix my error, I had to disable objectflow for P3D.  Now I have objectflow for P3D enabled and no problems.  Even with the PMDG 737 loaded. 

Best regards,

Jim

Okay Bob, as I was typing my response, I had the PMDG 737 loaded at KLAX in Orbx Southern Calif.  The objectflow for P3D module was loaded (lastest update).  The sim crashed with the NTDLL.dll error.  I suspect the objectflow for P3D.dll.  I won't have time to diagnose until Friday as it is Thanksgiving here in Virginia.

Best regards,

Jim

I will check this right now!  It sounds like it may be on target, because I have a LOT of Orbx-FDX addons.

Thank you very much for your quick response.  I never thought that the NGX, by itself, is at fault because I have used it for long flights before without problems. I know that PMDG takes great pains in being sure that their software is written with the best code.  On the other hand, it is a big frustration not to be able to fly my favorite aircraft of all time.

I went and bought GoFlight, FDS and PFC hardware just to fly the NGX.  It is a real "kick in the teeth" not to be able to use it because someone has wrote crappy code and messed up my install of the beautiful 737NG. :Shame On You:

Remember that practically every program running on Windows will be making calls via ntdll.dll and if those programs have a fault they can expire while ntdll.dll is loaded showing a fault in that module although there's nothing wrong in the module. Generally any problems running .NET C++ and SimConnect can raise an exception in those libraries and is not a sign that the .NET or C++ or SimConnect library is faulty, but it is usually a sign that the problems are in the code that utilises those libraries - an addon. Best thing to do is install everything as the User that will be using the software and ensure Modify permissions are available to the Users group for all files accessed by the setup, simply having Admin privileges does not automatically mean permission to write anywhere, ensure all SimConnect versions are installed, ESP, 60905, 61242 and 61259 from the P3D distribution, ensure no duplicate sections in the many dll.xml and exe.xml files. When we encounter errors we should always strip the sim back to as little changes from stock as we can get away with to test an aircraft or scenery with notheing else to interfere with the test, comment out sections in dll and exe xml files with <!-- Text --> or set manual load to true or disabled to true. When turning off AI aircraft apps to test remember also to remove temporarily the references to the aircraft folders as well.

Thank you also Steve.  What you wrote in this paragraph is so good that I'm going to save it on my harddrive for future reference.

I never thought about the ntdll.dll being used by everything.  I have had problems with it before, but it seems like I'll make some changes, maybe reinstall something, and don't see it's ugly little head pop up for a while.

I have been really into flying GA aircraft for quite some time now, so I just started back wanting to fly transport aircraft again, and my favorite one gives me this problem.

I'm going to do some checking now. You guys gave me some new ideas to attack it with.

I'll let you all know how things turn out.

I really appreciate you and Avsim.

Thank you,

Bob