Sign in to follow this  
Hahahapapa

CTD when addons loading

Hi fellow simmers,

First of all I am obviously new to the forum, but I'm not new to flight sim, so any dumb solutions such as "run FSX with administrator rights" I've already tried so please give out actually helpful solutions to my question please, thank you. You can assume that I run FSX with Admin rights every time. I also did not install FSX in ProgramFiles (not even in C drive) so there should not be a permission problem.

I need to provide some background to my problem first. My computer is completely 100% stable 24/7 with FSX-SE and I know that because my computer used to crash with FSX but I figured out that the RAM isn't stable, so I bought new RAM and problem solved. Also my addons are also 100% stable, even with the new Chaseplane Alpha. I have been playing FSX for about 5 months before my problem arises with absolutely no crashes whatsoever (except the few times I got 4096 textures for Fly-Tampa Toronto, that was a disaster). So no solutions that require any hardware checks please. I am also not currently using yokes and throttle quadrants and are flying with Xbox controller that isn't an issue because I have used it ever since I got FSX. Also please note that I am absolutely honest and did not pirate anything(maybe some music that I did 5 years ago, but not FSX addons).

My specs:

i7 6700K overclocked to 4.5GHz but 100%  stable

16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3200MHz for stability reasons I underclocked to 3000 and it's 100% stable

GTX 1080 that I didn't even overclock so no issue there also 100% stable

Other things are not relevant right?

My addons:

PMDG everything

Aerosoft A320 and family and the new A318 research but I didn't even run it yet so no issue there

Majestic Q400

Some steam DLCs that won't cause any issue

FSXS Packages emersion packs and Chaseplane that I used with joy and no problems and definitely better than EZdok

GSX and their Vancouver scenery

Fly Tampa Toronto and Montreal that I tweaked so no OOMs will happen

Justfly's traffic 360

Orbx Global and Vector that I also tweaked so no OOMs will happen

Maybe something I missed but they won't cause any issues anyways

The suspected problem causing addons:

FSUIPC

Black Box Widebody pack

Now my problem happened when I upgraded my Black Box A330 to the newest version(0.85.1 and downloaded the installer from blackbox's official site so not a virus). When I run the installer, it installed FSUIPC for me again, and when I run FSX, I'm getting 7 FPS and Chaseplane says my FSUIPC isn't configured properly. I also know my hardware isn't causing any problems that could get FSX to 7 FPS, because the only time that it did really low FPS is when Nvidia pushed out new drivers and made the graphics card run at power save mode. I haven't updated my drivers so that won't be a problem. Also my CPU is under utilizing with the max SINGLE CORE utilization at 60% (contrary to the usual 100% on that core, core 3 to be specific). I suppose that it must be a problem with FSUIPC so I downloaded the newest version from the Pete Dowson's (or however his name is spelled) site and installed it again.

My next part of the problem started. The installer asked to check for product keys, and I have them, so I chose check for existing, but it errored out and quit, so I decided to install it again, this time entering the key fresh. This time the installer said key is not valid. I googled and apparently the system date isn't set correctly, but I always use automatic time settings and so it won't be wrong. I tried again and it still fails to validate, but for some reason after a few clicks it validated successfully, so I believe it to be successfully installed, and that is confirmed by the install log. Now when I start FSX again, it proceeds to load up the addons, and when it tells me to trust FSUIPC, I clicked yes, and it loaded for about one second, then crashes.

Now I decided to delete FSUIPC.dll as per instruction on how to uninstall, and run FSX again, and it crashes at the point when it's supposed to run FSUIPC, so now the problem is coming to a dead end. Anyways I thought if it's not FSUIPC's fault, then it must be Black Box's update, because everything is running smoothly before the update, so I run the uninstall program for Black Box, but it errored out. I then deleted all Black Box Stuff from my FSX folder and made sure that there's nothing Black-Box-related in the folder and restored FSUIPC from recycle bin. When I run FSX, it still crashes at the exact same spot, in fact I run FSX so many times to troubleshoot that I already know when it's going to crash - right after Chaseplane loads up (and Chaseplane is working fine). So I deleted FSUIPC together with the Black Box stuff, and FSX still still still crashes at the same spot! I already feel like smashing the keyboard then but I didn't XD.

So I restored both FSUIPC and Black Box and FSX still crashes. At this point I downloaded Visual Studio (straight from Microsoft so it's not virus if any members can even point that out as the problem) and opened the crash dump files. Every single file from the point I started crashing has the same error (0xC0000005 and called "This thread tried to read or write to a virtual address for which it did not have the appropriate access" but I did run it as Administrator??? What???). It is also the error code for the crashes that happened when my RAM isn't stable. I googled that up and people say you can just verify game cache in Steam, it will just delete your scenery textures and won't affect Addons. So I did that and Steam redownloaded 10045 files 3.5 GB big, and FSX still crashes. Now that I'm ###### and visual studio wants me to debug it, so I did, and FSX seems to crash on api.dll, and further deconstruction told me that it crashed at line 68D77470. Now I did everything I could and so I decided to come to Avsim for help as I can't possibly know how to edit Hexadecimal code.

And I guess the pictures of the debugging can't be used...

P.S. no answers could be found on Google so if anyone can find a solution I'd be so grateful! Also I'd like the solution to be as easy as possible, so not reinstalling FSX altogether but I will try that if nothing else works :sad: Also I can't seem to change my signature until Nov 28 is that the rule here? Finally if there's any grammar mistakes please point them out I have slight OCD

Regards,

Kevin Xie

Actually I think the title doesn't best fit the problem but whatever I can't change it anymore :(

To confirm - it's crashing with FSUIPC enabled?

Try clearing out the weather files. FSUIPC loads the weather and FSX is pretty notorious for crashing if those files get corrupt.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

At this point I downloaded Visual Studio (straight from Microsoft so it's not virus if any members can even point that out as the problem) and opened the crash dump files. Every single file from the point I started crashing has the same error (0xC0000005 and called "This thread tried to read or write to a virtual address for which it did not have the appropriate access" but I did run it as Administrator??? What???).

FSX requires Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1.  It should be installed with the FSX-SE installer.

You provided an explanation of your issue(s) and what you have done so far to resolve it but it is a bit confusing as to when FSX-SE crashes.  While loading to the setup screen?  While loading to the departure location?  During the flight?

The dll.xml loads all of the modules in the dll.xml when you first start up.  So, if it is crashing at startup, a module in the dll.xml is not working properly.  Check page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide in regards to how to fix most crashes/freezes.  Moving your fsx.cfg, dll.xml, and scenery.cfg to a temporary folder (or renaming them) will bring your installation back to the default.  You should never reinstall FSX.  The dll.xml is not rebuilt as it is not a default file.  But, when you reinstall FSX as you indicated, it will overwrite the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg if any still exist on your computer after uninstalling FSX-SE and then reinstalling.  Based on a couple of your comments you probably already know this but bringing to your attention as you did not indicate whether you rebuilt your fsx.cfg (which is the number 1 fix). 

Another thing you did not mention is the logbook located in your My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files.  It becomes corrupted occasionally and renaming it temporarily to see if this fixes your problem will give you immediate results as to whether that is the problem or not.  If it is the problem, then AVSIM has an application in the Library to fix corrupted Logbooks.

If you want your subject changed, just let me know and I will change it for you.  In the future, you can click on the Report button at the bottom of your topic and report you want to change the subject and one of our moderators will fix it for you.

You should be able to create a signature as soon as you are able to post.  We have a slight delay for doing certain functions for all new members.

Also my addons are also 100% stable, even with the new Chaseplane Alpha.

You indicate at the beginning of your report all of your addons are stable but later on, say you think the FSUIPC or Blackbox Widebody pack are at fault.

so any dumb solutions such as "run FSX with administrator rights" I've already tried so please give out actually helpful solutions to my question please

Saying things like this is inappropriate.  If someone gives you a solution and you think it is dumb, then keep it to yourself.  The member was only trying to help. 

Hope you find a solution to your problem(s).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm sorry if I offend you I'm just really frustrated and tired last night. I have some progress now, I restored default FSX.CFG, scenery.CFG, and dll.xml, and FSX works, so I put the old dll.xml that makes FSX crash back in, and after trusting every dll FSX starts up just fine so I guess it's not dll.xml's fault?

FSX requires Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1.  It should be installed with the FSX-SE installer.

You provided an explanation of your issue(s) and what you have done so far to resolve it but it is a bit confusing as to when FSX-SE crashes.  While loading to the setup screen?  While loading to the departure location?  During the flight?

The dll.xml loads all of the modules in the dll.xml when you first start up.  So, if it is crashing at startup, a module in the dll.xml is not working properly.  Check page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide in regards to how to fix most crashes/freezes.  Moving your fsx.cfg, dll.xml, and scenery.cfg to a temporary folder (or renaming them) will bring your installation back to the default.  You should never reinstall FSX.  The dll.xml is not rebuilt as it is not a default file.  But, when you reinstall FSX as you indicated, it will overwrite the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg if any still exist on your computer after uninstalling FSX-SE and then reinstalling.  Based on a couple of your comments you probably already know this but bringing to your attention as you did not indicate whether you rebuilt your fsx.cfg (which is the number 1 fix). 

Another thing you did not mention is the logbook located in your My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files.  It becomes corrupted occasionally and renaming it temporarily to see if this fixes your problem will give you immediate results as to whether that is the problem or not.  If it is the problem, then AVSIM has an application in the Library to fix corrupted Logbooks.

If you want your subject changed, just let me know and I will change it for you.  In the future, you can click on the Report button at the bottom of your topic and report you want to change the subject and one of our moderators will fix it for you.

You should be able to create a signature as soon as you are able to post.  We have a slight delay for doing certain functions for all new members.

You indicate at the beginning of your report all of your addons are stable but later on, say you think the FSUIPC or Blackbox Widebody pack are at fault.

Saying things like this is inappropriate.  If someone gives you a solution and you think it is dumb, then keep it to yourself.  The member was only trying to help. 

Hope you find a solution to your problem(s).

Ok it's definitely FSX.CFG's fault it crashes when I put the original FSX.CFG back in

so I put the old dll.xml that makes FSX crash back in, and after trusting every dll FSX starts up just fine so I guess it's not dll.xml's fault?

That indicates to me there is something wrong with one of your modules.  It could be a bad entry in your dll.xml or one of the modules is not compatible or the module is corrupted.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides information on disabling each entry in the dll.xml but I would suspect the last module installed.  Was that the fsuipc.dll?  You can disable the fsuipc.dll from loading to see if this is the case.  If so, you need to make sure you have the most recent version.  Sometimes Pete has the latest version posted in his forum.

Ok it's definitely FSX.CFG's fault it crashes when I put the original FSX.CFG back in

That is probably happening because you saved a flight so, when loading, FSX cannot find all of the components of the saved flight.  Something like that.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Now I narrowed the problem down to the first half of FSX.CFG, the ones before [Trusted] section

Here it is:

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693751040
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693751040
D3D10=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1