Sign in to follow this  
bmstyle

autopilot stops responding then plane violently flips in air

out of nowhere randomly I notice i'm drifting off course and when i try to press the heading bug, nothing happens then the plane starts violently flipping in the air all over the place and there goes my hours and hours of planning. It's really frustrating.

Any help  or ideas?

1st post! Welcome! For your information PMDG like you to have your full name in the signature area of your posts (their products - their rules ;)

Dumb question - was the airspeed ok before the plane started doing aerobatics?

What altitude are you at? If you're at cruise altitude then could the winds aloft have an issue? You didn't say what sim you're using nor what weather engine; FSX is notoriously rubbish when it comes to winds aloft....

Cheers.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks, I'll edit that. 

Yeah everything was fine. It happened twice. Once I was cruising just fine at FL380 .83 mach and the other time it happened as soon as I rotated on take off. I'm using FSX stock weather. The winds aloft are a pain but I don't think that's the cause.

What flight controls are you using? Trim wheel, yoke? etc.

Here's an issue with a saitek trim wheel..

http://www.avsim.com/topic/422944-bouncingrockingshakeing/

Do you overclock??

http://www.avsim.com/topic/486041-wierd-lnav-behaviour/

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yeah my CPU is overclocked.....should I try bringing it back to stock?

That and check your BIOS clock and CMOS battery.

Also: full names in the forum, please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

I reset my bios to default and it's still doing it. Now that you mention it, My CMOS battery I think is dying. My PC can never keep the time and I always have to update it......that affects the plane?

that affects the plane?

Yep. Being able to calculate things related to time (time itself, speed - which is distance over time, turn rate - which is degrees over time, and so on) requires that your computer be able to accurately understand time.

Kyle Rodgers

Sounds good. I just reset my motherboard defaults, replaced my CMOS battery and changed the BIOS clock to the current time. I will let you know what happens. Thanks

Kyle you're awesome. I am having the same problems as described and never even thought to replace the battery which I know is dying. That's twice you helped me out bud! Thx!

Jack Colwill

Kyle you're awesome. I am having the same problems as described and never even thought to replace the battery which I know is dying. That's twice you helped me out bud! Thx!

Welcome!

Kyle Rodgers