Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

EVGA 1070 catching fire while playing FSX (Video)

Ouch! Be warned. OMGWTFBBQ!!!  :help:

https://www.twitch.tv/aerosimgaming/v/101518948

Video regarding possible issue:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Overclock video cards are worthless for simming because most of the time your CPU limited....not worth the extra premium.

Overclock video cards are worthless for simming because most of the time your CPU limited....not worth the extra premium.

You can crank up other settings without affecting FPS so no, not worthless.

The thing about when something like this happens, is that not only do you have to get and test a new card, but you also have to pray that the dying card didn't take your whole system with it.

Evga owners will have a rough time of it wondering if they have a ticking time bomb on their hands.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

i quit buying evga 5 or 6 years ago when a motherboard died and it took 6 weeks to get a replacement, so i threw them out the window,i stay with msi and gigabyte now.

EVGA says they have a fix for the 1080/1070/1060 overheating http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/ 

If you also want thermal pads they'll send them for free, but it takes two weeks.  I spoke to their support people tonight and they said the bios update on that linked page corrects the fan speed for the fix and (they said) you really don't need the thermal pads also.   The bios update downloads are on the same web page.  You'll need to enter your serial numbers to get the pads.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Just a side note, you can verify if your particular model is affected or not. I tried to order the thermal mods but it wouldnt let me after knowing my serial no. So I checked with support , and my 1070 Black Edition is not affected. So it appears that it was corrected in manufacturing at some point.

I have pretty good case airflow even blowing right at the card but wanted to be sure too.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Devons rig

Yes, we spoke about this on the forum the other week. First report of a fire though.

The EVGA bios update will only increase fan RPM I imagine, so noise will increase.

If it were me, I would definately go for the pads too.

Other options are perhaps aftermarket cooling, perhaps hybrid.

But guys... if yiu have a 1070 or 1080, make damn sure it's getting enough cooling.

Shocking that EVGA decided to not incude thermal pads on the VRM.

I received a thermal pad kit for my evga 1070 SC last weekend.  Since I read about this issue a few weeks ago I quit running any sort of OC with my card (I got a 1070 with samsung vram, that stuff can really OC). Say what you wish on their oversight of this matter, but evga's response has been swift, completely generous and hassle free.  If doing the mod yourself is too scary, it is possible to cross ship for a modded card, though if it's over a month old you'll get a "used" card.  The kit includes thermal pads for both sides of the vrm's plus new pads for the ram chips.  All cards now being produced have this kit installed.

All this is rather irritating, but it's better than being left out in the cold...err..heat..by evga.  The only reason I bought an evga 1070 was its cooler fit in my cramped case.  If size wasn't an issue I would have gone with MSI as I've had for years now. 

BTW, I posted about this problem here a few weeks ago. From what I've read, the pad install is what is needed the most, and since I always run using my own fan profile, I'm passing on installing the updated bios with its noisy fan curve.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Fancy leaving out thermal pads on vital components known to generate extreme heat. Crazy stuff.

They made a bit of a balls up with the ACX 2.0 cooler as well. Infamous for rattling. My old GTX 770 did and my new GTX 980 Ti Classified was so bad I had to RMA it.

Despite this I'm still a fan of EVGA though. From time to time all manufacturers mess up. The good news is that they fixed it ASAP! Not only that, but they said they would still honour warranties even if the owner damaged their card installing the thermal pads.

Something is always fishy when you see a sale or buy this and get this included...I just got a 1070 about three weeks ago.  The fan is a bit more noisey and thought I heard a rattle compared to my MSI GTX 780 that I just ebay'd.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Something is always fishy when you see a sale or buy this and get this included...I just got a 1070 about three weeks ago.  The fan is a bit more noisey and thought I heard a rattle compared to my MSI GTX 780 that I just ebay'd.

EVGA?

Sounds like the ACX 2.0 issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it affects the ACX 3.0 too! It will be at a certain fan RPM. Regarding my GTX 770, I notice it in the summer. As the ambient temp goes up and fan RPM increases a tad above it's normal range, the cooler fins start to resonate. Loose fin or fins basically. Not too much of an issue, as I say, it's only at a specific RPM it resonates.

If you use PrecisionX to play with the fan RPM you'll be able to determine if you have the issue.

If it's a new card with a warranty, EVGA will replace it. If it's a second hand card with no warranty, then I suppose an aftermarket cooler, like EVGA's hybrid cooler, would do the trick. Some have messed about with sticky pads to stabilise the fins.