Sign in to follow this  
albar965

Problems with OpenTopoMap

As some of you might have noticed Little Navmap version 1.0.5 stopped updating the OpenTopoMap (https://opentopomap.org).

The reason is that the OpenTopoMap now forces SSL (i.e. HTTPS / encrypted connection) and Little Navmap does not support this yet. The problem is already fixed in the current develoment and the fix will go into the next release.

Alex

Hi Alex

Many many thanks for updating this wonderful piece of software. Santa has arrived.

However, when I go into OpenTopoMap it is very pixelated and virtually unusable. When I try OpenMapSurfer (my favourite), all I get is a light blue background with no maps showing. It was the same in the previous version.

I was just wondering if I have missed something?

I can take a couple of screen shots for you, but cannot upload them here at Avsim.

Let me know if you want me to send you a couple of screenies by email.

Thanks again for putting your time and effort into this.

Merry Christmas,

John

Hi John,

screenshots wouldn't help. I know the problem from the old version.

Do the OpenStreeMap and the StamenTerrain maps work?

I could understand if the OpenTopoMap would not work because that is the only one that requires HTTPS/SSL as encrypted connection.

But the OpenMapSurfer uses a normal  connection like the others.

Did you merge the installation directory of Little Navmap with the old version 1.0.5? That could cause some strange effects.

Can you look at the maps in a browser?

https://opentopomap.org and http://korona.geog.uni-heidelberg.de (OpenMapSurfer).

You can also temporarily disable the cache by renaming the directory:

Got to the Options dialog on tab "Cache" and select "Show Disk Cache in File Manager". Exit Little Navmap.

That will open Windows Explorer where you will find a bunch of directories. One of them is "maps". Rename this one and try again.

Alex

OpenMapSurfer working fine here. 

Great tool, Alex. If you made it compatible with XP11 and its database that would be a treat. 

Hans

Did you merge the installation directory of Little Navmap with the old version 1.0.5? That could cause some strange effects.

Can you look at the maps in a browser?

https://opentopomap.org and http://korona.geog.uni-heidelberg.de (OpenMapSurfer).

You can also temporarily disable the cache by renaming the directory:

Got to the Options dialog on tab "Cache" and select "Show Disk Cache in File Manager". Exit Little Navmap.

That will open Windows Explorer where you will find a bunch of directories. One of them is "maps". Rename this one and try again.

Hi Alex

1. I deleted the folder that contained 1.0.5 before I installed the new version.

2. I can see those maps in the browser.

3. I disabled the cache but I have the same problem, none of the online maps work properly. The only ones I can use are the offline maps (which are fine BTY).

4. The OpenStreetMap is visible, however, if I zoom in it becomes blocky and unreadable, same for the OpenTopoMap. The OpenMapSurfer and Stamen Terrain just show blue backgrounds.

5. LNM is allowed access to the internet by Windows firewall.

6. I have a small area visible in OpenMapSurfer (presumably cached), however this small area of map is not visibility the same as when I open OpenMapSurfer in my web browser. 

7. I am running Windows 10 with P3D ver 3.3.

I am beginning to think it is my system as I had exactly the same problem with the previous version.

Is there a log file I can send you?

Thanks for any help.

John

John,

that is a very strange problem. Paul and others tested the program a lot using Windows 10 and P3D and had no problems.

It must be firewall related somehow.

Maybe it helps is you run Little Navmap as administrator?

Can you see weather reports?

That is another topic where Little Navmap accesses the internet. You can also test these in the options dialog on tab "Weather". Use one of the "Test" buttons for NOAA or VATSIM. Do these work?

If the weather is working:

In the about dialog is a link to the configuration file which is a Windows-INI style text file. Besides a lot of unreadable stuff there is a section "Options" like shown below:

[Options]
ForeignKeys=false
MarbleDebug=false
Version=1.2.0.beta

Make sure that Little Navmap is not running before changing the file and replace the "MarbleDebug=false" with "MarbleDebug=true". Save the file.

Now run the Little Navmap, zoom a bit around, wait a few minutes for all the background tasks to finish and send me the log file.

Do not attach the file here. Send it to me by PM or e-mail (e-mail is here: https://github.com/albar965).

Do not forget to revert the change in the configuration file, otherwise the log will grow big.

Alex

Alex

Log file sent to albar965@mailbox.org. I could not send to the above email address.

I tried as an administrator but no luck. The NOAA and VATSIM weather is working.

If you like, I can send you a short video of problem.

John

Hi John,

did you enable the offline mode accidentally? I see some indications for that in the log-file.

Go to menu "File" -> "Work offline", uncheck this and restart the program.

You cannot see a checkmark on that menu item, so the offline indication is a bit subtle.

Alex

Alex

Looks like that fixed it. I don't remember turning offline mode on, but maybe I did when I first downloaded it.

I have to agree that the offline indication is a bit hard to tell if it is on or off.

Many thanks for helping me through this, Sorry if I caused you too much work.

This is a great addition to our hobby.

BTY, what's the maximum cache LNM can have?

Thanks again.

John

No problem causing work. :smile:

I'm just glad it is working now.

I just learned something and added a text indication to the status bar if offline mode is enabled.

Maximum cache on disk is 8 GB and in RAM 2 GB.

Alex

I spent half an hour with no maps then realised my firewall was blocking map downloads!

Great program thanks.

Cheers

Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.