Sign in to follow this  
AirborneZed

Froogle's first look at the 747v3

I've seen this point pop up a few times and am pretty baffled by it. I mean, it's still a 747, so it's not like we could make something that was already like a 747 to be more like a 747. We could offer a bunch of unrealistic stuff just to pack more superficial stuff into it just to say we made it do more stuff, but that would obviously be unrealistic.

The graphics are vastly improved. Go back and look at any shot of the VC, and compare it to what you're seeing here. The FS9 aircraft didn't have weather radar, didn't track MTBF hours like this one does (as the 737 and 777 do as well), did not have custom panel states, didn't have this level of fully-featured options (though it had a couple), and quite a number of other things that I'm not recalling off the top of my head...but to give you an example, you have the option of using Kidde versus Systron fire extinguishing systems, and the function of the system changes according to that. If you look at the STAT page in the video, you can also see signal garbage in the system that shows up when the HYD system is off, which shows in the jumping values. It's a ton of smaller details to make it truer to the real aircraft.

...but again, in the end, it's still a 747, so these posts that assume that it's going to be wildly different are...puzzling.

In this case, Pete (Froogle) was doing an introductory video, and by his own admission was not really trying to get down to the level of detail needed to see the more important differences.  In my opinion, the similarities you see here are more a testament to how advanced the original version was for its day, and that in terms of basic procedures, it still holds up quite well.  To be fair, RSR has commented more than once that the simulation actually is far far more complex than the original version.  However, to appreciate the greater level of depth, you will have to dig deep and pay closer attention to subtleties.  Things like the start up procedure, which PMDG mostly got right the first time, are perhaps not the best place to hunt for these sorts of items.   However, just off the top of my head, even here you can spot some improvements, such the bouncing numbers on the MCP, how long it takes the starters to cut out, or the way the IRS knobs pop out slightly when you set them to NAV.  In the grand scheme of things, these are minor changes, but taken altogether, I am confident that they will go a long way toward making her feel like a living breathing airplane in ways that the original never even came close to. 

Andrew Jones

It's actually rated for all four, but an operator would only do it if they had the autostart option (modeled). Without it, it would be an accident waiting to happen.

When you say autostart is modeled does that mean it's an option? So you can have no autostart as well?

When you say autostart is modeled does that mean it's an option? So you can have no autostart as well?

Yep.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Keep in mind that PMDG is also working on a 748, which is even more automated than the 777 (indeed RSR himself referred to the 748 as "basically a 4-engine 777" in one of his presentations a couple of years ago).  Thus, eventually you will have the best of both worlds at your fingertips.

This should put automation in perspective.  Might be fun to mess with this too!

Guest Mik75

I am only interested in the P3D version as well! So, I hope both versions will be released on the same day.

This B744 looks and sounds absolutely mouth watering!

Another great video by Froogle.  I am not sure what version I should by FSX or switch to P3D now.

Paul Gugliotta

Hi Paul,

I tend to think of the FSX code base as frozen in time.  The root core of the simulation will begin to show its age in the next 5 years if not less, although I do give PDMG and others credit for breathing life into MSFS by doing more and more outside of the original main loop.

Prepar3D however is a living, changing, work in progress.  Ultimately it will have longer legs and carry flight simulation into the next decade.

Not counting the fact that I have bought, and played, Sublogic Flight Simulator II for the Commodore 64, and everything else that hit the market since 1983, I will point out that I currently only have FS9, FSX, and Prear3D installed but I'm only buying add-ons for the Prepar3D version.  I'm still a bit partial to Level-D Sim (Wilco Publishing Originally) version of their 767 on FS9....it has, to me, a nearly perfect level of engagement vs. automation.  And what I REALLY appreciate when I fire up FS9 is getting a solid 60 frames per second every where I go.   It spoils a person!   Landings are spot-on at this frame-rate because the fidelity is so high.

But for me, I'm feeling good about the move from FSX to Prepar3D, even if both products really need 3rd party scenery, airports, and aircraft to really come into their own.

Mark Trainer

2 things Froogle said that were less than happy for me...1 that this is the first of many beta videos which implies it will be in beta a while and 2 his own guess of a beta for a few months.

spacer.png

Yep.

:P  What sort of clown wouldnt use autostart. You're meant to get in the air as fast as possible, not enjoy the atmosphere at the tarmac!

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

One of the things I really enjoyed about the beta preview was how unpolished certain elements were.Things like the mistakes froogle was making because of his lack of knowledge of the aircraft..A few itsie- bitsie problems I felt were there(I won't mention them)

It is so weird how a brand new rendition of the 747 made me feel like I was back in the FS2004 version.So much nostalgia.I felt the same excitement...the same level of content looking down from the windows knowing you are towering above the rest down below.

I am not sure about the engines starting so soon..the humm of the electrics is just...*much wow*

The modelling of the cockpit is just brilliant...just beautiful modelling and textures..Then the subtle CRT curve(I wish the Md11 had this)

I am not completely sold on the window perspective..seems as wide as the fs2004 747..I don't know if this is the case(It very well might be)..also I wish Froogle had used a better seat position..just felt like you could see the complete cockpit from the viewpoint he was using.(or maybe it was the windows being too wide.gah)

Whatever it is..the video made me feel very very happy.It reminded me of all the times I had seen the 747 fly out of my local airport...It brought back the feeling I had when I first flew the 747 in fs2004..It really did make me feel like I had come a full circle in my simming life.Which is a beautiful feeling.This will be probably the first time I ever buy an addon for myself..so.completely hyped.

So thank you pmdg..you have a bigger impact on  this person's life than you may have thought

Warm regards

I am not sure about the engines starting so soon

Compared to...random gut feeling, or something actually measurable?

I am not completely sold on the window perspective..seems as wide as the fs2004 747..I don't know if this is the case(It very well might be)

Not sure what this means.

Kyle Rodgers

Compared to...random gut feeling, or something actually measurable?

I didn't mean to say it is wrong.I meant to say I didn't know the startime was so soon..from all the videos I have seen;in comparison the startime in the preview video is the same..I always thought the videos were cut and edited so that the engine start doesn't take up half of the video time.Of course other conditions might dictate the time the engines take to spool up as well and the apu is a lot stronger right ?

So a fast engine start does make sense.(do I make sense?)

Well...I am certainly not a 747 pilot..I have never been in a 747 cockpit..but then the edge of the window seemed to be very large.(rather the gap between the upper and lower edge)

I am assuming it is right because Robert would never allow faulty modelling on his favorite plane.

I am not trying to nitpick(I know I sound like I am)..I am probably the happiest person on this forum for the fact that the 747 is being developed again.

Can't wait for more videos