Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

How are ASCA sky textures?

I'm too chicken to try it and lose the ones I've got.  Any opinions?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I used REX Soft Clouds before.

At first I was not convinced with ASCA's textures, but with the SP1 patch (currently in open beta) it looks really nice.

But then I thought that the colors look really strange, but when looking outside the real sky looked as stange as in the sim. Whether/weather a coincidence or a result of perfectly matching weather information to sky colors, I don't know, but still great.

I'm using an older system, but no performance problems.

(Disclaimer: I have limited textures to 512x512)

• Upvote 1

But then I thought that the colors look really strange, but when looking outside the real sky looked as stange as in the sim. Whether/weather a coincidence or a result of perfectly matching weather information to sky colors, I don't know, but still great.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about...sky.  I really, really want sunrises and sunsets that change.  Makes the world kind of be 'alive' and 'real' in there.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Sky colours in the daytime are very nice but sunrise and sunset I didn't like. I use a texture set from the file section in the P3D group. I use ASCA but I uncheck sky colours

• Upvote 1

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

I felt the same way about my clouds (I have a FEX set that I really like), but ASCA GUI gave me the opportunity to back up my 'default' settings before applying their textures, so I can go back to my original ones in a matter of seconds any time I want using the ASCA GUI restore button. I am pretty sure you can back-up and restore your sky colors that way....  but like you, I like my sky colors too and never actually enabled the ASCA ones. LOL!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Yes Gregg - just backup your current sets within ASCA and then try the ASCA skies and see what you think. This type of thing is PURELY subjective - you may love them and you may hate them. I have found them to be very accurate and realistic. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ASCA clouds are quite amazing with SP1 beta.

As a big believer I was using Rex soft clouds, but with new rendition attempt from HIFI it is starting to look very mature.

Brand-new clouds shadows in FSX (courtesy -  Steve from DX10 fixer) work together to create quite exciting rendition of reality, it looks amazing and quite convincing.

I am extremely excited.

It is like a brand-new sim.

mike

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

Thank you Mike for the tip regarding Steve's clouds shadows new add-on, I just bought it and it's brilliant!!! I agree with you the latest SP1 beta ASCA + Steve's DX10 + Steve's clouds shadows makes FSX drastically different and appealing.

Thank you Mike for the tip regarding Steve's clouds shadows new add-on, I just bought it and it's brilliant!!! I agree with you the latest SP1 beta ASCA + Steve's DX10 + Steve's clouds shadows makes FSX drastically different and appealing.

Steve's DX10 fixer is the best kept secret.

I have been enjoying it for longest time.

Clouds shadows and shadows and the cockpit as well as GPU priority in rendering.

It Is fast it looks different lots of contrast as well as lighting is different - I love it.

I think people just don't realize what's out there for FSX.

mike

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

i have been using the ASCA sky textures since the hotfix earlier this summer, i really like them. the ones that it shipped with were a bit oversaturated imho. after the fix they added several new sets that are used by the weather influenced selection and much more subtle and realistic.

i like how in the new beta you can import your own, i added gabriel roduigues, navid's sky set and the explor set, im gonna add some from rex and fex too, you can mix and match to apply which weather conditions they are randomly picked from, seems like it has a lot of potential.

cheers

-andy crosby

Go into the settings and disable it for all conditions, I guess.  I went through them and assigned what conditions they would apply to...e.g. rain, snow, wind, low, medium, high, etc.  I left the purple one unticked.

Gregg Seipp

On the WX Influence Configuration, whenever I check a box for a sky color, hit apply - it doesn't save. Anyone have this issue?