Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

30% OFF FSDREAMTEAM at PCAviator

I'm thinking about getting KDFW or KIAH. Any opinions? Is KDFW still worth it or is it already outdated and should I better get KIAH? Thanks!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I have KIAH.  Haven't flown there in a long time.  Nice enough...nothing exciting.  I'm curious about KDFW too.  Looks okay from the few youtube videos I've seen.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've always wanted to get dfw but never have. To me, it has always looked too dated to warrant $34. To me, the taxi lights at night look awful. Download the demo and see what you think.

Orman

I love DFW but the satellite E terminal that is currently in use is not in their scenery since it was built before the changes in real life happened. To clarify, they modeled the satellite terminal but it doesn't have any parking in the scenery like it does in real life. Also terminal B has undergone some changes in real life that don't reflect in the FSDT version.

Even without that, I still love their DFW and is my favorite one by them. At some point they'll update it but they are doing ORD and LAS first. It's still the best rendition out their and performs better than the default KDFW.

Download the demo and try yourself, that's the best way to see.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've been on the edge with KDFW too for a while. Couple of thoughts: it is outdated a little bit... but then again a lot of FS airports are. It's hard to keep them up-to-date and I don't really hold that against developers unless it's egregious. However, FSDT is using old ground poly there and on a couple of other airports (PHNL, one that really bothers me) and there may be a performance hit in P3Dv3 because of that. The night lighting, though, at DFW I feel looks spectacular. They did do a good job with the floodlight halos and terminal lighting. All that said, if I knew they would update the SDK outputs to modern P3Dv3, I'd buy several copies immediately...

However, FSDT is using old ground poly there and on a couple of other airports (PHNL, one that really bothers me) and there may be a performance hit in P3Dv3 because of that.

Actually KDFW was their first airport to NOT use the old style ground poly and uses shaders for the ground textures. The next airports to use the new ground polys after DFW were LAX, JFKv2, KIAH and KMEM. The only airports that use the old ground polys are the Hawaiian packages, KLAS, KORD, KFLL, LSZH and LSGG.

In fact, Umberto actually told you this info on Sept 20th here-> http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=14379.0

So I'm not sure why your posting incorrect info.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,

last night i tried KDFW. I had good performance with UT2 active and the NGX. Of course in P3D. KAUS by imagine is on my list too as it gave me as well good performance.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

I purchased FSDT KDFW when it was first released and have not had any issues with it.  I pass through KDFW from time to time in my day/night job so I have noticed the differences that have occurred over time.  For me this does not make the FSDT KDFW scenery any less enjoyable or useful just because it has started to show it's age.  A couple of buildings with American Eagle painted on the side is not a big deal. 

If I didn't already own the FSDT KDFW, I would have no problem buying it.  With a 30 percent discount it is a great buy and well worth the money.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam