Sign in to follow this  
rexton

Best Tweaks for low end computer?

I have an HP computer with 2.41 GHz, 4gb of ram, and a Nvidia GeForce GT 730 graphics card. I have looked though the forums and I've looked all over the internet and I can't find any good tweaks. I need help for PMDG aircraft mainly, because I get about 4 fps on the ground and about 10-15 in the air. But I need help for other aircraft as well. Any help is appreciated!

-Sujay Rao

A good trick for PMDG aircraft fis to lower the vc model quality and resolution.

To get the best from you graphics card, download NVIDIA Inspector and Google the settings for that card

Know your PC, FSX is CPU based so to get great performance it is good to overclock or to use an i7.

Also, on the right side there is an FSX/P3D config guide, maybe that helps.

I used that guide and some tips from: http://www.avsim.com/topic/497682-fsx-tweaks-help/#entry3509602

And now I get good frames

Good luck!

Traffic=zero

Weather= clear skies

Autogen=low

Shadows=off

+ upgrade your hardware  :wink:  (sorry..)

• Upvote 1

Bert

Traffic=zero

Weather= clear skies

Autogen=low

Shadows=off

+ upgrade your hardware  :wink:  (sorry..)

Blunt and to the point.

On a low-end machine, you aren't going to be able to run it with your settings maxed out, it's just a hard fact in the computer world.  Also, you may want to lower your water setting to low or mid.  You MAY be able to squeeze out a little extra visuals running the DX10 fixer.

You said you looked all over the internet but couldn't find any "good" tweaks, so what exactly are you looking for?  You can only tweak your system so far before you incur more issues than you had from the beginning.  Take it from me, I've been a faithful laptop user for years and have had to go through my fair share of upgrades to get a system to handle the rigors of FSX and even P3D.  Despite the hardware requirements being a bit misleading, the internet is your friend as long as you know how to word your search parameters.

If you are looking to just leanring how to fly and not concerning yourself with stunning visuals, then lowering your settings will yield stable results.  If you want to achieve what many post as screenshots here, then as Bert said,a trip to the computer store is your best option.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Can you overclock your CPU?  In my experience, a 10% overclock leads to a 10% increase in framerates and a 20% overclock a 20% increase in framerates, etc.

Other than that, you just have to turn the settings down.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

My current spec is similar to yours.

Performance can vary greatly depending on what aircraft and scenery you're using.

For example:

Just Flight Chipmunk or A2A Cub in Orbx scenery with ASN weather - good.

RealAir Lancair/either Duke in Orbx scenery with or without ASN weather - bad.

Leonardo Maddog at Eiresim EIDW, UTX EU, FTX Global, 18-22 FPS - on the ground, pre-engine start (hey, I just like messing about in the cockpit)

Any aircraft over central London, Manhattan or downtown Seattle, bad.

ASN usually works OK. When it does drag performance down, it's usually because of multiple cloud layers. If that happens I just delete some of them.

My LOD is normal, weather range minumum, I think, and autogen sparse. Low water (2x) res.

Best performing aircraft would be most Just Flight and all SibWings.

I can't tell you about PMDG, because I don;t own anything of theirs, but I've always assumed assumed that performance on my system would be awful. I'm basing this on my Aerosoft Airbus Extended, which performs pretty poorly. The Quality Wings, BAe 146 and and Boeing 757, on the other hand, are OK.

In short, it is possible to enjoy FSX with such a low spec, but you do have to consider your aircraft/scenery/location combination..and that's why I'm in the process of upgrading, because you do end up spending too much time tweaking and fretting over performance, and far too little time flying, to the point that you can become turned off FSX completely.

I would strongly recommend an upgrade, if you can afford it - and believe me, I know it's not necessarily easy, but I've come to the conclusion that inadequate hardware+FSX=unhappiness.

If you're interested, I can give you more info about my setup when I'm actually at my computer...*cough* at work *cough*.

Best of luck.