Sign in to follow this  
wiler

p3d 3.4 v xplane 11 pros and cons

Just love those sloped runways

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Every time a new version of X plane comes out, I get the demo, give it a try, see things that are lacking like good weather, AI, seasons, ATC, etc.... and wait for the next version. Been doing that for years and years. 

• Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

NDA's and all so not much I can say ... but I'll do a unbias compare next year listing features of each.

I look forward to next year's comparison.

Pity that I never leave the cockpit when I am simming.

LR add realistic reflection to the aircraft body, maybe next time you should learn to fly the aircraft from outside, don't just sit inside the cockpit. :smile:

LR add realistic reflection to the aircraft body, maybe next time you should learn to fly the aircraft from outside, don't just sit inside the cockpit. :smile:

;). Nah, just as I can't stand driving a car while floating behind it (as is done in some games) I can't stand flying a plane while hovering around it. Feels too odd for me. I never understand why most screenshots from flightsimmers show planes from the outside. Well, I do understand it but it's not my thing. It is not why I am simming. But perhaps I will exit the plane more often before starting and after shut down, just to check that realistic lighting and those cool reflections. ;)

But btw I do expect to see those effects on the wings of the Cessna when I am flying it so not all will be wasted on me! ;)

Hi OP,

I recently rejoined the flight sim world and selected P3D with LOTS of ORBX scenery, REX textures and AS16 and some payware planes. I also built the best possible PC that I could afford and spec (see some of the specs in my signature line) and I have no problems whatsoever with stutters in dense areas and one of the lucky ones that is not having a VAS problem. Many times I am literally blown away with how stunningly it all looks at 4K resolution and most often getting the full 60fps at 4K resolution that my monitor is capable of (60Hz HDMI port).

I have purchased XPlane10 in anticipation of 11 being released soon (free upgrade) and plan on flying both to compare and appreciate the differences. I have a lot of money invested in my P3D platform so won't be in any hurry to purchase add-ons for XPlane11 unless I'm confident it can deliver the same visual and immersive experience I have with P3D and also waiting  to see what LM do with a possible P3D V4 release in the future. 

Xplane is very good value for what you receive out of the box and provided I don't go crazy with the add-ons (and give my poor wallet some breathing space) I can see myself happily using both for a long time to come.

p.s. One thing I found that improved my performance was to leave the frame rate unlimited despite many things I have read to the contrary. This has gained me up to 10fps without any stutters in some very dense areas. This is definitely working for me but as they say YMMV.

These are interesting time (btw funny DTG FS seems to be out of the picture for most of us) but it doesn't make a simmer's life much easier... :wink:

Life has become a bit easier for now because DTG FS has been postponed.

I do think I am going to get XP11: you have to try things at least once in your life.  :wink:

They're all worth the investment, if one can cope with more than one sim at the same time :-)

XP11 will take time to converge towards what FSX and now P3D provide to their users in terms of sophisticated / complex modules, weather injection, atc... At the same time it is already 64 bit...

But then someday P3D might announce going 64 bit, which will break compatibility with those excellent addons and time will be required before the major players migrate their products into the new platform...

In between, probably DTG Flight Sim will debut, and who knows Aerofly FS will get some more content to become worth the use for more users...

Investing in XP11 is a form of supporting Laminar Research, which I think is fair given their plans, but then those who are coming from P3D and FSX will miss their PMDGs, and keep using those platforms while equivalent products aren't available for X-Plane.... Investing in FSX and even P3D, while P3D keeps 32 bit, asks for parsimony if users want to use sophisticated aircraft add-ons, because no super-computer running it will be free from the deadly VASout fate.... But when DTG FS get's released, or P3D migrated to 64 bit, again, they will have to wait, and even worst, most probably pay, for their dream add-ons to become available for these new platforms...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Without massive and unilateral support of 3rd party communities, XP is doomed to be a "poor younger brother"

As others have stated, there's no reason you can't have both sims installed.

Since XP11 isn't out yet, we can't really compile a list of pros and cons. We do know that the user interface will be improved. The XP10 UI wasn't bad when you got used to it, but it certainly had its idiosyncrasies, and it looked outdated, like it was made in the 90's (which it probably was).

In terms of graphics, the lighting and effects look great, but FSX/P3D has the greater availability of detailed scenery. This won't change over night when XP11 comes out. There are very few OrbX-like airports for XP. Not because the sim is incapable of rendering them (if anything, being 64-bit should allow for even higher levels of detail), but simply because there's smaller target audience, so fewer developers try.

Sloped runways were both a blessing and a curse in XP10. Great when it worked, but it could lead to...surprises, especially at smaller airports. Before recently, you could only toggle flattened airports on/off globally, so many ended up always flattening airports to maintain compatibility. Recently, they changed it so you can toggle flattening for individual airports, which was a significant improvement.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Reading all these comments, John Venema (ORBX) is going to have to rethink his views towards XP.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

What I don't understand is why people always debate whether P3D or X-Plane is the better sim. They are both great in certain aspects and one should just use them both. I enjoy P3D just as much as I enjoy X-Plane. There are areas where X-Plane is ten times better then P3D and there are areas where P3D is ten times better than X-Plane. And I expect that this situation will hold for quite some time. There will be no single superior flightsim in the foreseeable future in my opinion. So just use them both...

• Upvote 3

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hello,

I'm thankful that competition exists in the market space, because when it doesn't- innovation takes a backseat.

As someone who started with Sublogic Flight Simulator II in 1983, I've been hooked and flown nearly everything that has been released since.  FS for the Amiga 2000, all the MS flight sims ever made, the combat flight sims, and Prepar3D.

For me, X-Plane is a product I only buy every 3 years or so - and put it back on the shelf.  Past versions always had something squirrely about the flight model, but it's been several years since I bought the last one so I'll give it a chance when XP11 comes out.

At the current time I'm running Prepar3D w/ some basic add-ons such as ASN, REX4, ORBX, PDMG, A2A....it's enough to keep me busy.  Do I have to turn some sliders down?  Yes.  Does it bum me out?  Yes.  Folks if you're not pleased with the stutters or low frame rates, go upgrade your rig or suck it up and turn down those sliders after all in a simulation fidelity trumps eye candy.  Every now and then I'll fire up FS9 and fly Wilco Publishing's 767, and getting a rock-solid 60 FPS every where I go is breath taking in it's own right.

Although I don't suffer from OOM issues in P3D as others do, for a product that is MSFS+6 years development, I simply would have expected it to be a little farther along by now.

Mark Trainer