Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Migration Tool messing up P3D?

Hello,

I recently bought a 737 throttle and used Migration Tool to install the drivers/TQ program into P3D because it was originally made for FSX and X-Plane but should work perfectly with P3D too using the Migration Tool, according to the developer.

Some time after installation I noticed P3D was going nuts. It kept freezing randomly during a flight and sometimes while loading too. I found that pressing a button on the TQ freed P3D of its rigidity but only to freeze again after a few seconds. I thought it was the TQ and/or the drivers messing things up and tried different drivers upon consulting the developer and one older driver helped. I had re-installed P3D and had already added a couple of addons when I installed said driver which solved the problem, initially. No freezing, everything fine.

When I installed Flightbeam's KSFOHD, however, things went back to crazy. I had let the redirection within the Migration Tool enabled when installing KSFOHD (which supports P3D of course) contrary to what the tool suggests because I thought disabling redirection would corrupt the TQ installation.

Now I'm beginning to think it's not the TQ causing the freezing but rather the Migration Tool. I read about it harming more than helping. Again, things were working perfectly until I installed KSFOHD.

Is it possible that the Migration Tool is totally confusing my simulator?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Please don't take offense, but I think you may already know the answer to your predicament.  It may be wise to check in with the developer and explain the situation to them to see if they can shed some light on what my not be working.

This 737 throttle you have, who is the manufacturer?  Perhaps it is a driver issue on the hardware side of things?

I don't believe the installation of an airport would cause a hardware related issue, BUT it could be related to resources or even a memory issue.  Flightbeam's airports can be resource intensive and perhaps that may be adding to your troubles but not necessarily the cause.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Please don't take offense, but I think you may already know the answer to your predicament.  It may be wise to check in with the developer and explain the situation to them to see if they can shed some light on what my not be working.

This 737 throttle you have, who is the manufacturer?  Perhaps it is a driver issue on the hardware side of things?

I don't believe the installation of an airport would cause a hardware related issue, BUT it could be related to resources or even a memory issue.  Flightbeam's airports can be resource intensive and perhaps that may be adding to your troubles but not necessarily the cause.

Like I said, I did consult the developer who provided an older driver which seemed to be working well (initially). I thought about faulty drivers too but I'm not so sure anymore. The developer is Flight Simulator Center from Italy.

I don't believe it's the installation of one airport, either. And I don't think Flightbeam's KSFOHD is the culprit, been using their airports for a long time and never had any issue. I think the Migration Tool may have messed something up upon installing KSFOHD. P3D freezes with default airplanes and sceneries, too.

What makes me think it may be the Migration Tool is that (with FB KIAD installed) things were fine after I had installed the throttle. It was the only 'addon' which I had to use the tool for. Just after installing another addon with redirection still enabled things went downwards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I don't use the Migration Tool anymore since my last clean install of P3D3.4. However, I recall FSX->P3D redirection should only be active when actually installing FSX sceneries into P3D. Otherwise, and notably as soon as you start P3D, it must be off.  

Installing FB KSFOHD into P3D with the migration tool redirection enabled is certainly ill and may cause any sorts of issues, in my opinion.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

However, I recall FSX->P3D redirection should only be active when actually installing FSX sceneries into P3D. Otherwise, and notably as soon as you start P3D, it must be off.

So I enable redirection, install something, immediately after installation disable it and only then start P3D?

Installing FB KSFOHD into P3D with the migration tool redirection enabled is certainly ill and may cause any sorts of issues, in my opinion.

Perhaps the mistake was keeping the redirection enabled after installing the throttle and starting up the simulator...

EDIT: In the manual it says

'If you have only one version of Prepar3D installed and no FSX

Keep redirection permanently enabled.'

On any system I have to do support for... if I see the migration tool has been used, I suspend any further support.

It is not wise to use that product to do installations that are not designed for Prepar3D. Prepar3D is not FSX... not even close these days.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Okay, if docs say so it should be okay. I don't have it installed anymore to cross-check. Besides, I had FSX(:SE) installed in parallel when I used it which might have made a difference.

On any system I have to do support for... if I see the migration tool has been used, I suspend any further support.

It is not wise to use that product to do installations that are not designed for Prepar3D. Prepar3D is not FSX... not even close these days.

That's why I refuse to use it anymore. Despite one prominent German addon maker keeps suggesting it for their aged FSX sceneries never made P3D compliant.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Just re-installed P3D. Clean and fresh, I loaded up the program for the first time. No addons, nothing. Loaded the default scenario and P3D froze... no throttle installed. After closing P3D I noticed I had forgotten to disable redirection before re-installing. So it's definitely the tool which is messing up.

You got to disable redirection after you install something or all hell will break loose. I recommend not using the tool as it can cause other issues to.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Although some people will say they've been using it without problem, IMHO, it is a time bomb capable of wiping out your install and shouldn't be used at all. It's just not worth the risk unless you don 't mind an occasional format/reinstall operation.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Although some people will say they've been using it without problem, IMHO, it is a time bomb capable of wiping out your install and shouldn't be used at all. It's just not worth the risk unless you don 't mind an occasional format/reinstall operation.

Vic

Yet again, another "snake oil" salesman ran off with the cash while everyone sitting there asking "what just happened?"  I made this mistake once...ONCE.  I bought into the FS Fiber Accelerator thingy and after installing it (reading the instructions) it never worked for me (operative word here is me).  It's tenure in my arsenal of flight simulator products last a whole 24 hours and then I ditched it...never again.  After that, I'd seen a few more of these "miracle" cures and avoided them like the plague, not simply because I feared them, but feared having to reinstall everything if something happened.  Even now with the everyone on the bandwagon of SimStarter, I never bought in to it, but I won't berate or bemoan people for getting it, since a lot of people claim it works great and that's fine.  Maybe, just maybe there are add-on utilities that do work, but for me, I'll stick with the basics, and again, it's due to that fear annoyance of reinstalling my sim.  Of course, there is also the other option of just using a different sim. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Interesting to see that the common agreement seems to be that the tool was/is a dangerous piece of software capable of doing mostly bad things. I am one of the people who used to use it quite often and it never messed anything up. Including using it with 3.4. And I don't think that the salesman ran away with the cash. The tool was frequently updated until recently. With less and less people using older scenery or legacy aircraft further development may be futile. But I don't think you can blame that on the developer. Just my 5c.

Hans

Migration Tool isn't supported now.  Please see their website.  No development since March 2016 and support forums have been offline.

It worked well with p3d v2 but with with changes in p3d v3.3 onwards things got wonky.

I believe p3d v3.2 is the last officially supported release.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Migration Tool isn't supported now.  Please see their website.  No development since March 2016 and support forums have been offline.

It worked well with p3d v2 but with with changes in p3d v3.3 onwards things got wonky.

I believe p3d v3.2 is the last officially supported release.

That's correct. The time of this tool seems to be over and caution is advised to anyone who wants to still use it. I just wanted to say that it was not a scam. Like many things it served a purpose in its time.  

Hans

Support for this tool IS STILL active!  I used the email support just last week and got a response within about 48hrs.  Doesn't mean I agree or endorse it though.  Much as I've used it, and it CAN work if one is careful, it DOES and WILL cause problems.

What I find truly outrageous, is not that the software exists, but that its still being sold to UNSUSPECTING customers by a third party vendor.

I'm also quite surprised this this thread is even allowed to run;-)