Sign in to follow this  
FlightSimmer Pete

Xbox Controllers

I am trying to find out more about using an Xbox controller for Chaseplane, I see quite a few people using one for what I believe is more control over cameras and views.

I take it that those that are using it for that purpose and along side a Joystick for flight control.

I am currently using a Extreme 3D Pro for a flight stick and am thinking of trying my saitek x52.

I do not own a Xbox controller but I do have playstation unit.

Is it worth me buying an Xbox controller or am I going to get results using any of the combinations of what I already have/

Just asking for thoughts and opinions.

I am using Prepar3D by the way.

Thanks

Pete

Using an Xbox-like game controller just for the Chaseplane cameras (alongside a joystick for the flightcontrols) was a real gamechanger for me. You can intuitively move inside and around the aircraft, do a walkaround or just take a walk around the airport. I prefer that over the avatar, not only because you never collide with objects - other than the avatar.

You can keep the Hatswitch of your flightstick to pan around and also assign one of the analog controllers of the xbox unit as panning/tilting axis.

Regarding the playstation unit I think it doesn't work on a Windows PC. I found some freeware that was said to make it work but received all kinds of warnings from my virus scanner when trying to download.

So I rather got me some Xbox-like Windows gamecontroller for just 15 Euros. You don't need an original Xbox unit.

It's worth it.

I'd just go for cheapest deal you can get on any Xbox Controller, they're all fundamentally the same with USB :)

I'd just go for cheapest deal you can get on any Xbox Controller, they're all fundamentally the same with USB :)

+1

There might be differences in durability but that shouldn't be an issue because these gamecontrollers certainly are designed for more intense use than for Chaseplane. :)

Controller is on its way and I should have it any day now.

You can keep the Hatswitch of your flightstick to pan around and also assign one of the analog controllers of the xbox unit as panning/tilting axis.

Any tips like the one above that might spare me some time when setting up would be much appreciated, even tho it shouldn't be a problem :)

Thanks

Pete