Sign in to follow this  
Bao_LongSp33dy

Prepar3D lag on good laptop specs

Hello, 

I have a gaming laptop with these specs NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980M, Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz), 24 GB Memory and 1 TB HDD 256 GB SSD but i am getting 17-18fps for some reason. Although i try to switch all the settings to low the ping still stay the same.

2.60 ghz processor is the problem. If you want higher FPS you'll need a faster CPU. Most people with desktops run over 4.0 ghz but with a laptop that is limited you'll need to find something that's going to get you in the higher 3.0 to 4.0 ghz range.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Agreed, I know it doesn't help much, but a desktop is a much better machine than a laptop for Flightsim.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Agreed, I know it doesn't help much, but a desktop is a much better machine than a laptop for Flightsim.

Unless you get a good laptop, of course. Get one of those new MSI gaming laptops with a 1080 GPU in it and you won't have any problems at all with P3D.  :wink: It'll cost you a few thousand bucks but it will blow a lot of desktops out there out of the water. Even when you connect a 4K monitor to it.

Are you sure it's running on the gtx 980 and not on the HD 530 integrated graphics?

My laptop is a i7 as well but at 2.4GHz and a less powerful gtx935 and I'm getting like 25 - 30 fps

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

I would check for Optimus tech on that laptop.  I would also confirm that your latop is actually using the gpu, instead of any integrated graphics.  An easy way to check is to open your P3D.cfg file and find the line that confirms the graphics card, like this example from my cfg:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M.0.0]
Mode=1920x1080x32

I have an Origin Eon-15X, with a GTX980M and an i7-4790K desktop cpu.  I just finished setting up a 'minimal" P3D sim on my machine last night, with just ORBX FTX Global and OpenLC NA, A2A Comanche.  I have my settings relatively high, but after a test flight from KJYO to KJFK (about 2 hours or so inflight) my frame stayed steadily at 27fps (locked).  The key here, at least from what I found, that keeping the frames locked low, makes a difference.  I actually had minimal stutters (some times non existent).  I don't however, have any weather generator installed currently, but I will be testing that out shortly.  For the flight last night, I had P3D set for a default weather scenario with some tweaks to the user-defined weather.  I am still doing occasional testing of my rig with P3D to see where the bottleneck is with performance degradation as my previous install of P3D with a whole lot more add-ons caused serious stutters and lower performance.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

2.60 ghz processor is the problem. If you want higher FPS you'll need a faster CPU. Most people with desktops run over 4.0 ghz but with a laptop that is limited you'll need to find something that's going to get you in the higher 3.0 to 4.0 ghz range.

Agreed.

Contradictory to popular beliefs, P3D is still a very CPU hungry application! It is not the same as FPS games where you roam a very limited world, in all aspects, and most of the workload lies in the GPU end. It is true that P3D is vastly improved over FSX when it comes to utilising modern GPUs, through tessellation etc, but the rest of the sim is very CPU dependent.  

The main thing you should consider when buying hardware aimed at ESP-based sims (and to some extent X-Plane), is the CPUs single thread performance. A chart over the highest Single Thread Performance CPUs available today (and one of them tomorrow) could be found here

I´m afraid a laptop wont cut it in P3D, if we consider price VS performance. If you have the space for a desktop computer - don´t even bother looking for a laptop. Buy a 7700K (when it comes out), an Asus/MSI/Gigabyte motherboard (of higher quality), chuck in a one-in-all water cooler, and crank up the VCORE :Tounge:

Agreed.

Contradictory to popular beliefs, P3D is still a very CPU hungry application! It is not the same as FPS games where you roam a very limited world, in all aspects, and most of the workload lies in the GPU end. It is true that P3D is vastly improved over FSX when it comes to utilising modern GPUs, through tessellation etc, but the rest of the sim is very CPU dependent.  

The main thing you should consider when buying hardware aimed at ESP-based sims (and to some extent X-Plane), is the CPUs single thread performance. A chart over the highest Single Thread Performance CPUs available today (and one of them tomorrow) could be found here

I´m afraid a laptop wont cut it in P3D, if we consider price VS performance. If you have the space for a desktop computer - don´t even bother looking for a laptop. Buy a 7700K (when it comes out), an Asus/MSI/Gigabyte motherboard (of higher quality), chuck in a one-in-all water cooler, and crank up the VCORE :Tounge:

It has also been stated that P3D has started to offload a lot of graphics processing to the gpu, so both cpu and gpu could work together. :)

A 6700HQ is a skylake processor, which should cut the mustard, so to speak, for running P3D.  Granted, you may not be able to have your settings up too high, but it'll work.

Laptops are making great strides in bridging the gap of performance with desktops.  Even the gpus are staying neck and neck with desktop gpus, but only the newer ones.  With regards to the 900 series cards, the mobile gpus are running slower, but not by much.  My 980 still works rather well for P3D, X-Plane and even FSX.

John V, over at ORBX, has been touting his new MSI laptop as being fully capable of running full ORBX scenery, with add-on weather and aircraft, performing GA flights with no issues whatsoever (not to mention at 4k as well).  Sure, you will pay a hefty price, but if you are in a situation where having a desktop isn't feasible (and I know folks who are, myself included), then the best advice I can give in that regard is to try and future proof the laptop with a solid cpu and gpu that can last a while.  I am currently running P3D and X-Plane, 32 and 64-bit respectively, and both run fine.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Maybe, but as in most computer applications, the relation between each component needs to be somewhat in tune, meaning that a slow CPU combined with a fast GPU wouldn't necessarily work wonders, especially in P3D. 

The difference between a 6700HQ and a 6700K is nothing shy of vast. It might be a Skylake, but the performance pr. clock cycle is nearly half of a stock 6700K. Laptops might be closing the gap, but the main issue is performance VS power consumption in a laptop. Great performance equals more heat, which in turn requires a better cooling solution, a bigger battery, and ultimately shorter battery life (a hot battery is nearly as (in)effective as a cold one).  

Agreed - the 900 series work well. Don´t have any personal experience whit the mobile versions of the current nVidia lineup though. The number of displays, and their respective resolution + anti aliasing level selected, are the most important factor with regards to GPU type versus performance. A 9x series card work great at 1080p, but 4K would certainly kill it;) 

In the end, it´s all about trade of. You can't get everything in this world. Hopefully the future brings marvellous inventions that will enable us to do both :D 

P3D is still mainly CPU based. It does use the GPU for more than FSX did but it also has more graphical features.

I think think CPU is the weakest link

Try disabling all AI traffic, and try textures at 1m

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

How to check which graphics is it running, I got 30-40fps before but now i have 14-17fps for some reason

If you right click on the prepar3d.exe (or icon on your desktop)  there is on option to select with gpu it must use.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Running an MSI GT72 Dominator GTX970M i7 with only a 5700HQ processor 2.70 ghz 32gig ram with turbo mode, P3DV3.4 with all the usual addons, just an example PMDG T777 AS16, Fs2crew, Proatc etc with P3D at moderate to high settings and no problem getting 30fps and steady.

Cheers Rod.