Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Update From the Dovetail Games Flight Team

Earlier this year, we announced the development of our new flight simulator, which generated an incredible amount of excitement in the community. We would like to thank you all for the tremendous amount of interest and support we have received so far. 

Based on your feedback, we have been focusing on three key areas: visuals, performance and experience, all of which are instrumental to the hobby. In order to further enhance these areas, we have made the decision to postpone the release of this project. 

In the meantime, we expect to have a detailed development update for you in the New Year. As a team, we are incredibly excited to share what we have been up to! Until then, we hope you have a fantastic holiday season and look forward to making 2017 a great year for flight simulation. 

Dovetail Games Flight Sim Team

• Upvote 2

*post moved to news thread*.

Trying to figure out how you did this if you did this as only AVSIM Moderators have this control. 

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Good to finally have an update Martin although I do have to say DTG has not really done much for its reputation with the total absence of any DTG presence the last few weeks. Sadly DTG has followed the pattern of Flight School by making a late announcement of the delay, which only encourages the nay sayers, when I strongly suspect the writing was on the wall at least a month ago.

I've been willing to give DTG a reasonable amount of slack but I find this announcement really disappointing.You're only promising a detailed development update in the New Year rather than a release. This probably means the release won't take place until March/April. Unless there's been a huge amount of additional stuff aka "scope creep" added to the initial release at a very late stage it's hard to believe it wasn't obvious the end of the year target wasn't going to be met by end October at the latest.

All that said I'm glad you didn't try to foist a plainly unfinished release on us since that would have been the kiss of death for this project.

• Upvote 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

Okay.  That explains it all. :smile:

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

All that said I'm glad you didn't try to foist a plainly unfinished release on us since that would have been the kiss of death for this project.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that. The difficulty I see is judging just when a "plainly unfinished" product becomes a "finished" one particularly when Dovetail has said all along that this should be viewed as a base for the long term.

And saying that they are concentrating on "visuals, performance and experience" (doesn't that basically cover everything?) can only lead to even higher expectations.

Let's hope they can deliver on their promises.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

I don't want to be one of those "nay sayers" but I think the probability is very high that it will be Prepar3d and XPlane11 with the increasing market share into the future.

If P3D brings out a 64bit release then I believe it will be the dominant player in the market due to the extensive 3rd party developer support it has although this could change as developer support increases for XPlane11

I currently have P3D with a lot of ORBX scenery, REX textures and AS16 and the Sim is literally stunning on my 4K monitor.

I've purchased Xplane 10 ready for the free upgrade to 11 when it is released and will fly both to compare and appreciate the differences.

• Upvote 1

An update that says there will be an update. Well, what's not to get excited about there...  :rolleyes:

Sounds like a lot of flannel, to be honest. I thought it was a bit odd when earlier this year they wouldn't mention anything about what features they intended to put in.

• Upvote 2

I think it would help DTG to generate some enthusiasm if they had some of their developers to engage with the community and start talking or writing about what improvements they are making or plan to make to the sim and what this will mean to users and 3PD's. This would be so much better than vague platitudes, marketing-speak, or questionnaires. Given that there is competition moving forward with new or improved products, the opportunity for DTG might slip away before they have a product to sell, unless they do something to maintain interest in this product.

• Upvote 3

Barry Friedman

Chances are they got cold feet with the immanent release of XP 11 and an updated P3D in the works.

They realized how much catching up they have to do to impress any serious simmer. 

Whenever Martin posts something, its basically noise. He hasn't said anything substantial since he first showed up here at avsim. Just empty marketing talk, sorry can't take him serious.

• Upvote 5

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Just empty marketing talk, sorry can't take him serious.

I would have to agree with this statement.  Just because I am "devoted" to really only two sims at the moment, this doesn't mean I am not receptive to new offerings, technologies or developments for the betterment of the flight sim community as a whole.  This news is taken with a grain of salt and only when I see hard, definitive proof, will I actually take a closer look.

From what I have seen, heard and experienced so far, XP11 is fairing pretty decent in public beta and there is a slight buzz being generated about what LM has to offer for P3D, but otherwise, FSX is still the same and the DTGFS is pretty quiet, so perhaps with the later, maybe DTG is backtracking on a lot of marketing for their new simulator, playing it smart, and waiting until they have something of substance to show off.  So far, with DTGFS, it seemed they were just fishing for free feedback from the community, to see if this new sim would be viable.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I get bombarded by Dovetail Games adverts in YouTube.  Having looked into, I couldn't discern any particular reason to get me interested.

When I looked into X Plane there were clear reasons to be interested - it is sufficiently different to P3D to generate excitement.

Maybe I'm just missing the point with DTGFS?  Perhaps someone could enlighten me? :)

• Upvote 1

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

If DTG deliver a flight simulator next year, or any time for that matter, which is not backwards compatible with FSX aircraft and scenery then I fear it will die quickly for lack of demand.

DTG is basing the core simulation on the FSX and Flight engines, so I'm hopeful that current FSX aircraft and scenery will indeed be compatible, or at least easily made compatible with some sort of conversion patch.

I'm pleased to see that the developers have decided to hold off on release. This tells me that they took the community's feature requests and bug fix suggestions seriously and need more time to integrate them into the new sim.

Fingers crossed.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS