Sign in to follow this  
Tayyareci

GTX 1070 and SuperGridSuperSampling Crashes Due High Load On GPU

Hi,

First of all my rig is mainly based on i7 6700K (OC 4.7) + MSI GTX 1070 and 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM. 

On P3D 3.3.5 with PMDG 737 I can't keep acceptable level of loads on GPU (with 4x SGSS or even with 2x SGSS). It always crashes the P3D ! Even before entering clouds. (Cloud texture quality is the lowest possible right now. Size of cumulus01 file is 341 kbs)

I'am just about to get crazy about this issue here ! 

I have tried nearly all options of AA via P3D and Nvidia Ins.

No chance. FS9 had an option to set AA externally. I gues P3D does't allow this ?  

As you might know the best looking option is 4x or 8x MSAA (P3D) with 4x SGSS via Nvdia Ins. Without SGSS runway edges and all other stuff looks like fresh setup of FS9. Is there any way to keep GPU load with stable numbers with SGSS on ? I'am really surprised that GTX1070 can't handle such level of work. Am I wrong with that ? Or the reality is GTX 1070 is just a poor guy? 

Do you know any way to get rid of blurries and bad looking textures (edges) on P3D except SGSS ? 

I'am just stuck there, please help me.   

Thanks.  

Faruk IŞIK

Do you know any way to get rid of blurries and bad looking textures (edges) on P3D except SGSS ?   

DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) can be a decent alternative to SGSS. In clouds you will get less of a performance hit. You will however have to live with smaller menus and text because DSR simply simulates a higher resolution that gets resampled to your monitor resolution.

However, your GPU should be able to handle SGSS. Have you checked your GPU temperature when P3D crashes? 

Temps are normal (Between 40 55 C ) but loads are generally full (%98-100).  (With 4x SGSS and 8x or 4x MSAA)

I have tried DSR but it doesnt give decent look with no blurries or jaggies.

Are the anybody running GTX1070 with 4x-8x SGSS here with PMDG NGX? 

Faruk IŞIK

I don't run PMDG but do run A2A and Real Air aircraft with AS16 & ASCA, MT6, and all the Orbx goodies on my Geforce G1 GTX 1070 and it runs between 40-75% typically with no issues at 4XSGSS and 4XMSAA with FXAA off which works great for me.

My settings can be found at the following dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wum2no6ku6krcmm/P3D-AS16-ASCA%20Settings%20Chart.xlsx?dl=0

It's actually a useful excel spreadsheet I made and shared in a previous forum with my settings and a compare of Rob A's example settings with all system impacts highlighted. 

Additionally I find it useful to use the free Air Traffic Manager program to minimize the AI performance impact induced by MT6.

Joe

• Upvote 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I have also struggled a lot with clouds, also flying with the PMDG 737. What has helped me a lot are as follows: in Nvidia Inspector Antialiasing mode set to Application controlled and AA Transparency Supersampling set to 2 or 4xSupersampling. Frame limiter to 28.5 fps. Inside P3D 4xmsaa, 2048 resolution and frames locked at 29fps. Vsync and tripple buffer off. Now my sim is finally almost butter smooth, even at cloudy weather. And the textures are nice and sharp. Also I use FFTF value  0.01. Hope this helps in addition to other posts.    

Tapani Österberg

Are the anybody running GTX1070 with 4x-8x SGSS here with PMDG NGX?

Only an old GTX980 here but I run 4xSGSS @ 1900x1200 on a 27" monitor with the NGX.

Never max out the GPU, typically 60-70%.

Something is wrong if your 1070 is not giving similar figures, are you running 4K res by any chance ?

Thanks for all suggests. I will try after getting homa bakc.

I wonder how can a simulator with 30 35 FPS be smooth like you have mentioned ? 

My monitor has 50 hz refresh rate minumum and below 50 FPS it starts to make me unhappy in terms of flow of the frames ? Is there any hint about that.

I run the system with 2K resolution option but tried 1080p .. Unfortunately no change.. 

Faruk IŞIK

Use of a FPS limiter will help reduce the load on your GPU as others already mentioned. If you will be happy with that limited FPS on the other hand only you can answer after you tried it.

SGSS is known to hit your GPU extremely hard and especially when flying in heavy weather (lots of clouds) since SGSS will be applied on all those clouds around you... In FSX using Steve's DX10 fixer there was an option to disable SGSS for clouds but keep it enabled for everything else which was a brilliant way to both have and eat the cake. This however is not possible as far as I know in P3D.

What I did to get around this problem was to get a 4K screen where I no longer need SGSS and still get at least decent IQ and AA.

Richard Åsberg

Temps are normal (Between 40 55 C ) but loads are generally full (%98-100).

If you crash when the card is not even running remotely near peak temperature, then something is either very wrong with your GPU or the culprit is something else. Have you tried running graphics benchmarks to check how your card handles heavy tasks?

The card should not crash no matter what your settings are, unless there is factory or user unstable overclock. A non overclocked card is capable of running at 100% GPU load without crashing.

Joepoway thank you for sharing your settings they helped me greatly. I purchased a Sony 43in 4k tv last night and have been struggling to get my settings where they need to be. Sadly I will have to retire my Evga 970 for a 1080.

Kevin Humphryes

I decided to pull my SLI 1070s and re-install the 970's.  No matter what I can't get rid of the blurries with these.  Steer away if on FSX.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I decided to pull my SLI 1070s and re-install the 970's.  No matter what I can't get rid of the blurries with these.  Steer away if on FSX.

Cheers

jja

Sorry, I couldn't understand what you mean by the last sentence ? 

If you crash when the card is not even running remotely near peak temperature, then something is either very wrong with your GPU or the culprit is something else. Have you tried running graphics benchmarks to check how your card handles heavy tasks?

I have tried some benchmarks but not recorded the results. Generally they were fine. Today I'am gonna post some benchmark results. Than we could analyze if sth worng with the GPU.

The card should not crash no matter what your settings are, unless there is factory or user unstable overclock. A non overclocked card is capable of running at 100% GPU load without crashing.

Card is fine with high load but when reaches peak load %  P3D stops working. P3D doesnt work stable with card load around 95-100 %. 

By the way I have tried to lower refresh rate of the monitor to 40 HZ but I wasn't able to do it. My aim was to lower required FPS for smooth flying. As you might know if Hz equals to FPS it's smooth like oil. Sadly my supported minumum hz is 50 by monitor. So I have to keep 50 FPS everytime.  

Some poeple says they run their system with 35-40 FPS with 60 Hz screens smooth like oil. On my setup 40 FPS doesn't give an smooth feeling ? If I cut the FPS from 50 to 40 >>> loads on GPU steps in acceptable limits but anything lower than 50 FPS means some visual lags on the screen. 

For reference I'am sharing some info about the issue:

2x SGSS via Nvidia Inspector

4x MSAA via P3D

16x Anisotropic Texture

2K Texture Resolution

With lots of resized cloud textures (341Kb per file) (512 Pixels ~ REX)

With PMDG 737 NGX on ground T2Gate LTBA Runway 05 looking through departure end. 

FPS Unlimited + Vsync + Tripple Buffer ON via P3D  

I have 50 FPS stable with GPU load aorund %90-95.

I'am not addicted to numbers, if it stays %100 with no crashing P3D it's not a problem for me but after some flying around it generally crash.

If I lock FPS internally or externally (40 FPS) load stays %75-80 but as I mentioned it looks terrible with 50 HZ and 40 FPS. Any idea about that ? Or it's just a trade between visual and FPS and I have to decide one side ?!  

Any guys with GTX1070 running same settigs with no problems ? I mean with the FPS around 50 and same other settings I have mentioned above ? 

Thank you very much for your advices and support ..

Faruk IŞIK

I have just tried again with 4x SGSS and 4x MSAA at UK2000 Gatwick. Crashed !!!

But what is weird that during preflight and taxi load is aroundGPU % 80 85 stable. When I entered runway,e light up the exterior lights and hit thrust, visual light effect on runway surface and runway lights hit the GPU load and crashed. 

Some time ago it was also happened during landing flare at LTBA (T2Gate). I think landing lights and payware runways put huge amount of load on the system when 4x SGSS on the job. 

Briefly no way for 4x SGSS, I have tried everything but unfortunately no success. 

Stuck on 2x SGSS with blurries and shimmering ! 

Faruk IŞIK