Sign in to follow this  
jcpg

Lights and fog ! Real aviation.

Hi there, can someone tell if after landing when taxing to airport the pilots switched off the lights due to, a) a failure on the lights, or 2)  fog and therefore better to leave the landing lights off, or 3) one can not see the lights but they're on?   After landing note the suv leading the plane 'home'. Good work I would say.. definitely interesting.     I hope I posted it well and you can open the link.    :wink:

Cheers.

John Goncalves    

Looks like they turned them off just prior to turning into parking so as to not blind the marshaller. 

Lights turned off right after leaving runway.You can hear the call -Lights off

nebojsa

Those were the landing lights and they are always turned off leaving the runway. You can see the taxi lights both reflecting off the taxi centerline and when the camera panned right. When they turned into parking you can see the taxi lights are turned off.

In the real world i switch off the landing lights aftee vacating the runway. During LVO i switch on the landing lights for taxi too.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Ok taxi lights are on.   Actually the point is, why is the suv car leading the plane?  Is this a normal practice?  Never seen that  before.

john

A lot of airports have "follow-me" vehicles. Their use does vary though.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-188183.html

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

During LVO i switch on the landing lights for taxi too.

I guess that would depend on the aircraft, the location of the landing lights and the type of low visibility. For Fog, Snow and Dust Storms I found that the extra light just reflects back into the cockpit and thus preferred the smaller taxi lights that were angled down. For a small airport poorly lit on a very dark night using the landing lights when taxing is like hitting the high beams. 

A lot of airports have "follow-me" vehicles. Their use does vary though.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-188183.html

Unfortunately, at some locations this is just another money maker for the airport. A certain African airport would provide this to even home-based aircraft and charge $500 for the privilege. 

I guess that would depend on the aircraft, the location of the landing lights and the type of low visibility. For Fog, Snow and Dust Storms I found that the extra light just reflects back into the cockpit and thus preferred the smaller taxi lights that were angled down. For a small airport poorly lit on a very dark night using the landing lights when taxing is like hitting the high beams. 

I do that on the CRJ900 and did that on the EMJ 190/195. I mostly do that in EDDM during CAT III ops. I switch on/or leave the landing lights on to be seen by other aircraft. Sometimes the fog can be pretty thick in EDDM.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg