Sign in to follow this  
vector

Size of monitor

I'm using a 32" Samsung TV as my sim's monitor at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 which is the native resolution of the TV.

Is anyone using a 40" monitor at a higher resolution and, if so, does this have any visual impact on scenery and cockpit panels?

Dijvid

Wow!  119 views and not one reply!  I didn't realise that most of the FS world are still using 17" monitors!!!!

Dijvid

vector,

I have got a Samsung UE40JU6500_tv that I run FSX on at 4k 3840x2160. I sit about 2ft from it. It is outstanding - the best upgrade I have ever made, however, I had to buy an nvidea GTX 980 Ti to run it. I have not noticed any frame rate drop, but the visuals are great. The increased size make it easier to read small gauges.

You have to set everything up properly in Nvidea Inspector to get the best results. Rob Ainsclough's site has some excellent tips. I set the tv up following this guide:

https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/

Paul

Unless you would consider upgrading to a real world size cockpit view that only a projector can give you...

For the past ten years I have been simming with projectors throwing a real life size cockpit in HD and Track IR5 and never looked back, short of buying an expensive true cockpit, you cant be any closer to "as real as it get"...

Reading gauges is not anymore an issue and the immersion works on your adrenaline...

1920 at 24" looks better than 1920 at 40" screen.

The higher screen you need more pixels to stay sharp.

Now some TV's can camouflage this with its own settings, but sitting close up you will see it.

However, people tend to sit further away from a big screen, so the whole idea of a big screen sitting further away versus a smaller one

but sitting closer to it takes away the need of a big one.

Sitting close to a big screen with a low Hz will give you headaches..

The purpose of having a a real life size projection screen is precisely to sit at the same distance that you would sit in your cockpit from your instrument panel. You cant do that with a 4K TV screen otherwise your eyes will pay the price for it.

There is absolutely no danger of headache with a HD projector at 60Hz, vision is better because your eyes don't have to cope with LEDs glaring at you and sending blue light to your retina, this is medically proven, a projection screen is far less taxing for your eyes and thus safer.

Finally with DSR there is no "pixelisation" to be concerned about.