Sign in to follow this  
Seth2021

X-plane 10 crash, TDR Error code: 7, Nvidia driver issue

Hi

i am having a weird issue during the latest Nvidia driver updates for GTX980. X-plane 10 crashes ( random) during almost every flight route.

Event viewer states a TDR issue :

A TDR has been detected.
The application must close.

Error code: 7
 (pid=3340 tid=5296 x-plane.exe 64bit)

Visit http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633 for more information.

Faulting application name: X-Plane.exe, version: 10.5.2.0, time stamp: 0x5806eee0
Faulting module name: nvoglv64.DLL, version: 21.21.13.7595, time stamp: 0x582cf7e3
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x00000000015c5f2a
Faulting process id: 0xd0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2459b04bbb90c
Faulting application path: S:\X-Plane 10\X-Plane.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvoglv64.DLL
Report Id: 6fa8943f-b19f-11e6-9893-0015833c0355

already increased the timeout value to allow more time to complete more intensive rendering though registry ( regedit)  with  TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay but with out any result.

installed the latest driver from nvidia 375.95  for GTX 980

thanks

Seth

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

Hi

i am having a weird issue during the latest Nvidia driver updates for GTX980. X-plane 10 crashes ( random) during almost every flight route.

Event viewer states a TDR issue :

A TDR has been detected.

The application must close.

Error code: 7

(pid=3340 tid=5296 x-plane.exe 64bit)

Visit http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633 for more information.

Faulting application name: X-Plane.exe, version: 10.5.2.0, time stamp: 0x5806eee0

Faulting module name: nvoglv64.DLL, version: 21.21.13.7595, time stamp: 0x582cf7e3

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x00000000015c5f2a

Faulting process id: 0xd0c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2459b04bbb90c

Faulting application path: S:\X-Plane 10\X-Plane.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvoglv64.DLL

Report Id: 6fa8943f-b19f-11e6-9893-0015833c0355

already increased the timeout value to allow more time to complete more intensive rendering though registry ( regedit)  with  TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay but with out any result.

installed the latest driver from nvidia 375.95  for GTX 980

thanks

Seth

I suggest you rollback to the last stable driver you where using. NV has put out some wonky drivers as of late.

..having the same issue here, I updated the driver to the latest version cuz the symptoms appeared with the early NV Drive  ..so it's kind of catch 22 ....

Yair

I can tell you exactly what caused this....

....heat.  I had the same thing, with my EVGA 1070 FTW...(when originally shipped, they had a very low fan speed BIOS...and that caused overheating of the memory chips, etc), until I flashed their updated BIOS, that cured any of the card's elements overheating.  I have not had one 'loss of communication with the video driver' since then.  You need to better cool, your GPU solution, and/or update your card's BIOS.

You can also manually run a higher fan speed curve from After Burner, or whatever...to get things cool...VRAM, etc...

..how do I flash the GPU BIOS ????

(I'm monitoring the GPU temp, remotely, never exceeded the 65 Celsius. ..however, I moved back to Stock on the GPU and one notch down on the CPU to 4.1GHZ. Had an over an hour in the air from KSDM to KPSP and landed safely ...... I'll takeoff today as well, and lets see what happen

Anyway tnx for the tip ...

2 hours ago, N1125Y said:

..how do I flash the GPU BIOS ????

(I'm monitoring the GPU temp, remotely, never exceeded the 65 Celsius. ..however, I moved back to Stock on the GPU and one notch down on the CPU to 4.1GHZ. Had an over an hour in the air from KSDM to KPSP and landed safely ...... I'll takeoff today as well, and lets see what happen

Anyway tnx for the tip ...

It's most likely your V-RAM chips are overheating and then locking up. Once that happens, you will get the TDR  'Windows has failed to communicate with your video driver'.  Most G cards do not have heat sensors on the VRAM chips/modules.  

You'd ONLY flash your BIOS to a newer version, if your card's manufacturer has identified that their present BIOS was not properly addressing ramp-up heat readings from your various chips upon your G-card.

A much easier way to cool your VRAM, if you overclock, is to ramp up your fan speeds when running games.  You can look for your card manufacturer's software to do so, or find Afterburner upon the Net.  After you get an app that can address your card's fan blades....ramp up 50 percent more speed (RPM's) than what your default BIOS runs at...and see if that negates any further driver 'disconnects'.  BTW, it's not truly that windows can not 'communicate' with your driver, but it is asking your card to negotiate, and with your VRAM chips locked up...it can not fill that request.  You then suffer a graphic disconnect.

BIOS update...(from your manufacturer's site ONLY....is the last resort for better card cooling options)

Hope this info helps....  (BTW, my BIOS update was exactly EVGA addressing the fact that in wanting to keep the card quiet within your case, they purposefully kept the fan RPM's lower, than what should have been, when the card was in the wild.) Once I updated to the new BIOS for my EVGA 1070 FTW...I have never had any further driver 'disconnect' issues with W10 Pro.  It is all about VRAM cooling, and usually, not the actual GPU chip.  Remember, most cards do NOT report the VRAM chip temperatures, for they do not have heat sensors on that part of the card's board physical imprint.

Oh, one final thing...you most likely can crank your CPU up to what you had it set...for that would have no effect upon how much heat is being generated within your Graphic Card's VRAM modules.  Bring it back up...and then lower as you did, your graphic card's OC settings, and/or get your fan's RPM speeds up at least 50 percent more than they were/are when gaming.  I know this will eradicate your problems.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

It's most likely your V-RAM chips are overheating and then locking up. Once that happens, you will get the TDR  'Windows has failed to communicate with your video driver'.  Most G cards do not have heat sensors on the VRAM chips/modules.  

You'd ONLY flash your BIOS to a newer version, if your card's manufacturer has identified that their present BIOS was not properly addressing ramp-up heat readings from your various chips upon your G-card.

A much easier way to cool your VRAM, if you overclock, is to ramp up your fan speeds when running games.  You can look for your card manufacturer's software to do so, or find Afterburner upon the Net.  After you get an app that can address your card's fan blades....ramp up 50 percent more speed (RPM's) than what your default BIOS runs at...and see if that negates any further driver 'disconnects'.  BTW, it's not truly that windows can not 'communicate' with your driver, but it is asking your card to negotiate, and with your VRAM chips locked up...it can not fill that request.  You then suffer a graphic disconnect.

BIOS update...(from your manufacturer's site ONLY....is the last resort for better card cooling options)

Hope this info helps....  (BTW, my BIOS update was exactly EVGA addressing the fact that in wanting to keep the card quiet within your case, they purposefully kept the fan RPM's lower, than what should have been, when the card was in the wild.) Once I updated to the new BIOS for my EVGA 1070 FTW...I have never had any further driver 'disconnect' issues with W10 Pro.  It is all about VRAM cooling, and usually, not the actual GPU chip.  Remember, most cards do NOT report the VRAM chip temperatures, for they do not have heat sensors on that part of the card's board physical imprint.

Oh, one final thing...you most likely can crank your CPU up to what you had it set...for that would have no effect upon how much heat is being generated within your Graphic Card's VRAM modules.  Bring it back up...and then lower as you did, your graphic card's OC settings, and/or get your fan's RPM speeds up at least 50 percent more than they were/are when gaming.  I know this will eradicate your problems.

.... make a lot of sense, & I'll follow your advice   .....

Reg.

Yair