Sign in to follow this  
richie894

ORBX Holiday Sale - 35% off!

Agreed with Scianoir - I was also sceptical as I had everything just how I like it, but in fact the whole process of updating to FC3 was easy and painless.  The instructions look long, but actually it is pretty simple.

I am considering buying both North america land class and Global vector. I'm using fsx-se and tend to fly fslabs/pmdg type aircraft. What type of performance hit will I get by adding vector vs just adding NA land class? I am concerned with VAS issues. If I bought North america landclass first and tried it out and everything is fine will adding vector increase VAS or if NA LC works fine without issues then am I safe adding vector to it? Does vector make a huge difference over LC?  

I would like to know that as well!

Anyone able to chime in?

Stephen Forsgren

I would like to know that as well!

Anyone able to chime in?

I don't think NA LC will cause you much of a problem on either performance or VAS. Vector, on the other hand, depends on how you configure it. If you turn on all the options for vector data, you could run into issues both with performance and with VAS.

Vector and LC are two separate products. They do two different things. NA LC just tells the simulator what type of land is in a given square km(can't recall now what the size of the tiles are again but will use this for the example here). For example, LC will say this square km is farm land, this one is city, this is desert, etc, etc.

Vector tells the simulator where to draw vector type data. This means highways, roads, rivers, coastlines, lakes, etc. You can configure this for the amount and type of this data you want to see. So, as long as you don't care about turning on every option, like let's say small city streets and tertiary roads, you can limit the VAS/performance hit. It just may not give you the detail you want. But, flying mostly airliner type flights, I'd argue that you really don't need the most detailed level anyway.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Thank you very much, Kevin!

I think I will start with Open LC, then if all goes well consider Vector with limited detail (P3D v3.4)

Stephen Forsgren

I don't think NA LC will cause you much of a problem on either performance or VAS. Vector, on the other hand, depends on how you configure it. If you turn on all the options for vector data, you could run into issues both with performance and with VAS.

Vector and LC are two separate products. They do two different things. NA LC just tells the simulator what type of land is in a given square km(can't recall now what the size of the tiles are again but will use this for the example here). For example, LC will say this square km is farm land, this one is city, this is desert, etc, etc.

Vector tells the simulator where to draw vector type data. This means highways, roads, rivers, coastlines, lakes, etc. You can configure this for the amount and type of this data you want to see. So, as long as you don't care about turning on every option, like let's say small city streets and tertiary roads, you can limit the VAS/performance hit. It just may not give you the detail you want. But, flying mostly airliner type flights, I'd argue that you really don't need the most detailed level anyway.

Thank you. With flying jets do you think I need vector or LC? I have FTX global but was thinking that the night lighting would be good in LC.

Thank you. With flying jets do you think I need vector or LC? I have FTX global but was thinking that the night lighting would be good in LC.

I would recommend them both, IMO. To me, it's still very worth it to have more accurate roads, coastlines and rivers that you get with vector. And, the much improved land class definition that you get with open LC. For flying PMDG stuff(and the like), just don't enable all the vector stuff.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Just picked up Southampton airport, perfect to go with my newly acquired Dash 8 pro and Flybe liveries which I recently downloaded from the AVSIM library.

Thanks re above - I transferred all my licences yesterday.  Now to fix up the blurry and vector issues.

" Ends Jan 1 23:59 AEST " , that would be some sort of Australian time zone.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I like Vector better. The coast line, lakes, rivers are more realistic now.

I bought the Southern California and had to unsinstall it because it was killing performance. Maybe a future computer will handle it better.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

I bought the Southern California and had to unsinstall it because it was killing performance. Maybe a future computer will handle it better.

I agree about Southern California - amazing looking scenery but with quite a performance hit! I still have it installed on my mid-range system but to use it without having OOMs I have to move many of the sliders to the left, which of course makes it slightly less amazing looking, though still very nice. Ideally you need a top of the range system to use this one.

I purchased Northern Germany in the sale so I now have all Orbx European regions and again great scenery but with a bit of a VAS hit, although not quite as much of an impact as Southern California.

Bill

The regions have all that built in, so actually using them with vector would be redundant (and possibly overload).

I would recommend if you fly within SCA to just disable vector (and nit sure why you uninstalled when just disabling would do).

Do the sale include PAJN and PAKT?

Everything that was released prior November 1st.