Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Just Flight HS 748 Propliner Released...

A big surprise for me that this bird is released already!. Signed-in on a list at Just Flight to have an email sent to me when the aircraft was released, but I didn't get any email, as promised (a minus for JF). Anyway, this is a sure buy for me!. Used to watch this plane in action in the old days -back in late sixties- of a nearby airport (now closed), and it was gorgeous.

Cheers, Ed

The emails went out to all who signed up, this was around midday (UK time) Thursday.

If you give me your email address I'll check to make sure you were on that list.

Hi RE:

Got it a few moments ago. First impressions:

1. Acceptable exterior model. Not as sharp as Carenado models, which are HD.

2. VC cockpit textures are not photorealistic, not HD, barely acceptable to me.

3. Very, very easy on FPS and VAS (mainly because for reasons stated above).

4. Asked at JF forums about the paint-kit, that it seems that should be downloaded separatedly, but have not found a link yet.

Overall, first impression is a rating of 6.5 out of 10, to my taste. Have not yet tried the systems, functions, switches, etc.

A bit expensive for what the product offers, IMHO.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks for the feedback, everyone's entitled to their own opinion so no problem there, if you're interested some replies to your comments.

1. Yep we love the Carenado models too, we think these are good, better than acceptable but it's subjective.

2. Again we think they're acceptable, the style is that of this developer, the quality is there but we accept if it's not the look you're after.

3. Cheers. Not just down to the above not by a long way.

4. Apologies, it's ready now, just given it's the weekend we've not been able to host it and make it available, it will be done just as soon as possible.

Thanks

I was waiting for this for a long time....but I think I'll pass - the cockpit textures are a bit cartoonish, and I think the Rick Pyper version was a lot better.  In fact this release seems to be based on Rick's.  Same goes for the BAC 1-11.

No problem, it's your choice. Already had customers state how it's better than the RP version though and it's definitely not based on Rick's other than the fact they're the same aircraft of course.

Even Matlby's BAC and Pyper's HS looked way better than this childly looking VC's.

I bet the systems on both are better then JF's renditions.

Whats wrong with JF ? their Connie and DC3 looked also like this, same developpers I think.

All subjective, we have people who are happy with the look.  As stated the quality is there it's the fact that the style is that of a specific developer.

Nothing wrong with JF at all.  Might want to take a look at models like the Hawk, Tornado, TB 10/20, Canberra, Meteor, all which have received high-praise of late.

I don't think JF have changed.  I think the simming users have changed.  We've become much more demanding over a period of 5 years, while some developers havent really raised the bar at all.  What was a very appealing aircraft produced by JF  5 years ago, just doesn't appeal anymore.

Yes there's something in that logic but I'd say we have changed, check out some of our other recent releases as stated above and I think you'll notice change for the good actually but of course it's down to taste and specific expectations.

Hi Scott,

To see a member from JF posting here is nice, I realize you have your own dedicated forum. You have a pretty good line up I know I put myself on the  email when released list for a couple of you latest releases but I have not purchased because what I saw just didn't live up to my expectations, even though I wanted it to. Hope you guys can work something out with your developers; I personally would much rather wait and pay a little more for a well polished product than to have to pass on an aircraft that I really had every intention of buying. 

RE Thomason Jr.

It installed easily, and the good news is this thing works well. I have only done the introductory flight, but every knob and switch seemed to work as promised.

It seems to handle as it should. It met v speeds as listed, handled nicely manually, and the autopilot worked as it should when I got a little lazy.

In short, other than the graphics in the VC, this is a pretty nice plane.

I would say this is quite close, systems wise to Rick Pipers version, but it's been a while since I last flew that!

- Roger

Hi Roger, good to know you have tested knobs and switches in the introductory flight. I was not so lucky in trying that flight earlier today, mainly because the HS748 seems to be overpowered during taxiing on my setup. How did you get to control the aircraft's power during taxi to the departing runway without applying too much braking. As I said before, it was almost impossible to me to reduce the power of the aircraft to be able to control the speed during taxi.

Thanks in advance. Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Ed,

Sorry, I'm not Rodger nor have I purchased the HS-748 but this was one of my chief complaints with the Friendship F-27. Gross weight did not seem to affect thrust required to taxi properly and the reasoning I got was the flawed FSX/P3d turboprop model.  Well, I sort of half buy it as i know it is flawed but, I don't get a "Tokyo Drift" scenario when turning to the active in most other payware.Not much of a consolation but I solved it by making a profile for the F-27 using "Frictionality" a cheap but effective program sold by FSPS.which has help me with numerous aircraft.

RE Thomason Jr.

I flew this aircraft for a couple years... 1998-2000. Full time on it the first year and occasionally the second year. Definitely not overpowered with 1800hp dry/2100hp wet each side and what I flew had the 46500 pound mod for increased T/O weight. Still have a soft spot for this aircraft...the controls were so nice to handle. Under the right conditions it was operated into 2900' of gravel with 10000 lbs of cargo. 2nd segment climb was a lot of times the limiting factor in take off weight. Used to plan 2000 lbs fuel for the first hour and 1800 for the 2nd hr. if I remember right ref at 43000 lbs max landing weight was only 95 kts. Planned cruise was 220 kts. Hope these numbers are helpful for those that bought it. It was a very cool machine.

I will buy this one.

It doesn't look like its got 3D gauges, which are really what I ask for in todays planes.  I upgraded my PC for $2,700 powerhouse and have FSX and P3Dv3 mods and they run smooth and I want to push VAS to the limits.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I have only read negative comments on the HS748. I used to fly PMDG and similar and would take an hour to get off the ground. I have returned to older aircraft that do not have an FMC etc. as I now prefer archaic navigation and autopilots.

For me this offering is absolutely fine. I have not flown it enough to discover any faults yet. The VC may not be photographic but it is very clear and functional.

I would have thought that ordinary simmer who likes vintage craft would find this a worthy purchase.

Best wishes, Peter

"I would have thought that ordinary simmer who likes vintage craft would find this a worthy purchase."

I love vintage aircraft, but I'm afraid a lot of JustFlight's stuff is just not up to the standard I expect these days.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it had a decent vc

Surely it's time for Just Flight (and some others) to change their sales model on downloads. Flight1 offer a very generous no quibble 30 day refund. Others offer a short or limited trial period.

It is clear they are using several developers some are 'hits' like the Canberra but others like this are 'subjective' or 'a matter of personal preference'.

I'm keen on the 748. I remember touring the factory at Woodford in the 70s - but I'll have to pass on this for now.

If there had been a trial period I would have been doing that now!

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Hi Folks:

I purchased it as well, and was prepared for the worst.

I do agree with all of Ed's assessments. The VC has a sort of "cartoonish" look to it, but in all fairness, it's not that bad, and it is significantly better than their earlier efforts.

It installed easily, and the good news is this thing works well. I have only done the introductory flight, but every knob and switch seemed to work as promised.

It seems to handle as it should. It met v speeds as listed, handled nicely manually, and the autopilot worked as it should when I got a little lazy.

In short, other than the graphics in the VC, this is a pretty nice plane.

I would say this is quite close, systems wise to Rick Pipers version, but it's been a while since I last flew that!

- Roger

I agree with everything you have said here and, arguably, I think this is perhaps the best airliner released by JF to date. Others have commented that the external textures are not HD, but even if they are not HD quality, I can see an improvement over the textures on previous JF aircraft. My only comment here is that the unpainted metallic surfaces seem a little too bright and clean and a bit more attention to these could add to the realistic appearance of the external model which is otherwise very good. I actually think JF have 'upped their game' with the VC graphics, which have improved somewhat compared to their previous products although still not quite reaching the degree of realism achieved by other developers. But overall, to be fair, the VC appearance really is quite good. I would however have liked to see a separate 2D window for the autopilot and perhaps the overhead panel, as I find it useful to move these to a second monitor for easier access, but that is just a personal preference and not a major issue.

So far I have only been able to find the time to test fly it for about an hour, but in this limited experience the flight dynamics seem realistic and accurate and the ground handling (unlike the JF Viscount!) is good. All of the switches, systems, etc seem to function correctly as described in the manual and I was very pleased to find that the autopilot performed flawlessly. Clearly this has had better beta testing prior to release. My only issue with VC function was that, although I was able to tune the ADF to the frequency desired, I was unable to switch the ADF on but maybe this is an error on my part and perhaps I have been missing out on some essential step. If anyone could help with the steps involved in turning on the ADF it would be appreciated?

With regard to engine sound, I note an earlier comment that sounds in the beta range were accurate but that the alpha range were not quite there and I am inclined to agree with this particularly when listening in the external view at full power. I did however manage to improve on this by moving the prop control on my CH yoke back a little from full fine pitch when the lovely unique shrill sound of the Darts became more evident. I appreciate that the propellor pitch control is for piston engines and in fact moving the prop control on the CH yoke does not move anything on the 748 pedestal, but, for whatever reason, it certainly improved the realism of the engine sounds in the alpha range! With regard to reverse pitch, I am not sure if the props on the 748 were reversible but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I do however know they were reversible on the the military version, the Andover.

Overall, I am happy with this airliner and I think some of the previous comments have been excessively harsh. I didn't buy it expecting internal or external Carenado type HD graphics but I was pleased to find that these had definitely improved. More importantly however it is a nice rendition of a classic airliner with good flight dynamics and a functional VC.

Bill

Surely it's time for Just Flight (and some others) to change their sales model on downloads. Flight1 offer a very generous no quibble 30 day refund. Others offer a short or limited trial period.

It is clear they are using several developers some are 'hits' like the Canberra but others like this are 'subjective' or 'a matter of personal preference'.

I'm keen on the 748. I remember touring the factory at Woodford in the 70s - but I'll have to pass on this for now.

If there had been a trial period I would have been doing that now!

Dean

If you buy it and it's not up what you were looking for we'll offer you a refund no questions asked.  Last thing we want to is for people paying us good money and simply not enjoying or getting out of it what they expected. 

We'll also try and sort a demo out but can't promise that will be within the immediate future.

Canberra was developed in-house by the same team who developed the Hawk, Tornado etc.

I agree with everything you have said here and, arguably, I think this is perhaps the best airliner released by JF to date. Others have commented that the external textures are not HD, but even if they are not HD quality, I can see an improvement over the textures on previous JF aircraft. My only comment here is that the unpainted metallic surfaces seem a little too bright and clean and a bit more attention to these could add to the realistic appearance of the external model which is otherwise very good. I actually think JF have 'upped their game' with the VC graphics, which have improved somewhat compared to their previous products although still not quite reaching the degree of realism achieved by other developers. But overall, to be fair, the VC appearance really is quite good. I would however have liked to see a separate 2D window for the autopilot and perhaps the overhead panel, as I find it useful to move these to a second monitor for easier access, but that is just a personal preference and not a major issue.

So far I have only been able to find the time to test fly it for about an hour, but in this limited experience the flight dynamics seem realistic and accurate and the ground handling (unlike the JF Viscount!) is good. All of the switches, systems, etc seem to function correctly as described in the manual and I was very pleased to find that the autopilot performed flawlessly. Clearly this has had better beta testing prior to release. My only issue with VC function was that, although I was able to tune the ADF to the frequency desired, I was unable to switch the ADF on but maybe this is an error on my part and perhaps I have been missing out on some essential step. If anyone could help with the steps involved in turning on the ADF it would be appreciated?

With regard to engine sound, I note an earlier comment that sounds in the beta range were accurate but that the alpha range were not quite there and I am inclined to agree with this particularly when listening in the external view at full power. I did however manage to improve on this by moving the prop control on my CH yoke back a little from full fine pitch when the lovely unique shrill sound of the Darts became more evident. I appreciate that the propellor pitch control is for piston engines and in fact moving the prop control on the CH yoke does not move anything on the 748 pedestal, but, for whatever reason, it certainly improved the realism of the engine sounds in the alpha range! With regard to reverse pitch, I am not sure if the props on the 748 were reversible but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I do however know they were reversible on the the military version, the Andover.

Overall, I am happy with this airliner and I think some of the previous comments have been excessively harsh. I didn't buy it expecting internal or external Carenado type HD graphics but I was pleased to find that these had definitely improved. More importantly however it is a nice rendition of a classic airliner with good flight dynamics and a functional VC.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Seems a fair and interesting summing up.

Do make us aware of anything that you definitely feel requires updating/fixing and we'll see what can be done.

Ed,

Sorry, I'm not Rodger nor have I purchased the HS-748 but this was one of my chief complaints with the Friendship F-27. Gross weight did not seem to affect thrust required to taxi properly and the reasoning I got was the flawed FSX/P3d turboprop model.  Well, I sort of half buy it as i know it is flawed but, I don't get a "Tokyo Drift" scenario when turning to the active in most other payware.Not much of a consolation but I solved it by making a profile for the F-27 using "Frictionality" a cheap but effective program sold by FSPS.which has help me with numerous aircraft.

Hi RE:

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm really not willing to expend more money on this aircraft. I'm using the Friction tweak inside FSUIPC (explained in detail in the manual "FSUIPC for Advance Users", if you didn't know about it) and that works very well with the rest of my fleet. As I stated before, my opinion is that the price of the HS748 is way too high for the quality of the product. If anyone doubts about this, I invite them to use the wingview and watch the poor quality of the texturing of the right engine and wing, barely freeware.

Thanks again. Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

So far I have only been able to find the time to test fly it for about an hour, but in this limited experience the flight dynamics seem realistic and accurate and the ground handling (unlike the JF Viscount!) is good

Hi, would you check if you were able to control the taxi speed of this aircraft?. To me it's not possible to control it (seems way overpowered), maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe the aircraft has some bugs, I don't know...

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

"If you buy it and it's not up what you were looking for we'll offer you a refund no questions asked. Last thing we want to is for people paying us good money and simply not enjoying or getting out of it what they expected. "

Thanks for clarifying that Scott. I did check your terms and conditions first.

If as you say Just Flight offer a satisfaction guarantee (over even a very short period) then I think your sales will be boosted in the long run by encouraging people like me who are 'on the fence' to try these downloads.

Cheers. Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Dean

If you buy it and it's not up what you were looking for we'll offer you a refund no questions asked.  Last thing we want to is for people paying us good money and simply not enjoying or getting out of it what they expected. 

We'll also try and sort a demo out but can't promise that will be within the immediate future.

Canberra was developed in-house by the same team who developed the Hawk, Tornado etc.

Thanks Bill.

Seems a fair and interesting summing up.

Do make us aware of anything that you definitely feel requires updating/fixing and we'll see what can be done.

Props were not reversible. What was available was a beta. After touchdown on the throttle quadrant another lever was pulled up and back which selected beta. In fact a horn would sound if beta was not selected within (to the best of my memory) 5 seconds.