Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Just Flight HS 748 Propliner Released...

Hi Ed:

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you , work life is quite busy right now.

I do agree with you on the ground handling, the brakes are going to run quite hot in this for sure.

- Roger Neves

Hi Bill:

Re the ADF:

Make sure the rotary knob on the upper right of the ADF radio is selected to "ADF"

The RMI gauge is located bottom left of the pilots panel. The desired knob must be selected to ADF.

The needle will then turn to the NDB

- Roger

#31 [Just Flight HS 748 Propliner Released...: post #31] sevenflyer

Members
90 posts

Posted Today, 12:33 PM

Hi Ed:

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you , work life is quite busy right now.

I do agree with you on the ground handling, the brakes are going to run quite hot in this for sure.

- Roger Neves

Thanks, Roger. So I'm not the only one that noticed it, and that's good to know. I can't understand an issue like this was not evident during beta testing. Anyway, let's hear JF comments, I opened a ticket already at the JF product support page!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I flew this aircraft for a couple years... 1998-2000. Full time on it the first year and occasionally the second year. Definitely not overpowered with 1800hp dry/2100hp wet each side and what I flew had the 46500 pound mod for increased T/O weight. Still have a soft spot for this aircraft...the controls were so nice to handle. Under the right conditions it was operated into 2900' of gravel with 10000 lbs of cargo. 2nd segment climb was a lot of times the limiting factor in take off weight. Used to plan 2000 lbs fuel for the first hour and 1800 for the 2nd hr. if I remember right ref at 43000 lbs max landing weight was only 95 kts. Planned cruise was 220 kts. Hope these numbers are helpful for those that bought it. It was a very cool machine.

I will buy this one.

It will be good to hear the opinions of a real world 748 pilot on this product. As such, I wonder if you could clarify what the maximum landing gear extension speed is and also the maximum speed for extension of the first notch of flaps, as these V speeds are not clear from the supplied manual.

Hi, would you check if you were able to control the taxi speed of this aircraft?. To me it's not possible to control it (seems way overpowered), maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe the aircraft has some bugs, I don't know...

Cheers, Ed

Hi Ed. The 748 for me at maximum gross weight doesn't move when I release the parking brakes and I have to advance the power to around 4750rpm to get it under way. It does however then appear to accelerate fairly quickly even at gross weight but by reducing the power to just under 4000rpm it seems to maintain a steady taxiing speed. As I said this is at gross weight, but at lighter weights the acceleration forces are a little more pronounced and lower power settings or braking seem to be required. At least the 748 doesn't appear to waltz all over the runway after landing unlike the JF Viscount!

By the way, I agree with the comment you made in another post about the starboard window view from the cabin. It's not of vital importance but the shape of both the wing and engine is very distorted in this view and needs correction.

Props were not reversible. What was available was a beta. After touchdown on the throttle quadrant another lever was pulled up and back which selected beta. In fact a horn would sound if beta was not selected within (to the best of my memory) 5 seconds.

This doesn't appear to have been replicated in this simulation but perhaps Scott might be able to address this in a future update?

Hi Ed:

- Roger Neves

Hi Bill:

Re the ADF:

Make sure the rotary knob on the upper right of the ADF radio is selected to "ADF"

The RMI gauge is located bottom left of the pilots panel. The desired knob must be selected to ADF.

The needle will then turn to the NDB

- Roger

Thanks Roger. It was my fault! I had actually originally done what you suggested but I only tested the ADF on the runway at an airport where I can usually pick up a nearby NDB (about 9 miles away) while on the ground. Clearly the ADF receiver on the 748 is a bit less sensitive, as I retested it today using the same NDB when airborne and it worked perfectly! That will teach me not to be lazy!

Bill

It will be good to hear the opinions of a real world 748 pilot on this product. As such, I wonder if you could clarify what the maximum landing gear extension speed is and also the maximum speed for extension of the first notch of flaps, as these V speeds are not clear from the supplied manual.

Hi Ed. The 748 for me at maximum gross weight doesn't move when I release the parking brakes and I have to advance the power to around 4750rpm to get it under way. It does however then appear to accelerate fairly quickly even at gross weight but by reducing the power to just under 4000rpm it seems to maintain a steady taxiing speed. As I said this is at gross weight, but at lighter weights the acceleration forces are a little more pronounced and lower power settings or braking seem to be required. At least the 748 doesn't appear to waltz all over the runway after landing unlike the JF Viscount!

By the way, I agree with the comment you made in another post about the starboard window view from the cabin. It's not of vital importance but the shape of both the wing and engine is very distorted in this view and needs correction.

This doesn't appear to have been replicated in this simulation but perhaps Scott might be able to address this in a future update?

Thanks Roger. It was my fault! I had actually originally done what you suggested but I only tested the ADF on the runway at an airport where I can usually pick up a nearby NDB (about 9 miles away) while on the ground. Clearly the ADF receiver on the 748 is a bit less sensitive, as I retested it today using the same NDB when airborne and it worked perfectly! That will teach me not to be lazy!

Bill

I don't remember flap and gear speeds in their entirety. That said VR @ 46500 lbs using 7.5 degrees flaps was 115. On a hot day you'd eat up a lot of ground getting to VR. Max speed for selecting full flaps was 110.... I'm digging deep here. Somewhere here I probably still have a manual on the aircraft. I'll try to find it. Or I'll see if I can borrow on.

As far as getting the aircraft to start moving (taxi) when heavy well it was very slow to start. Power levers were advanced to approx 11000 rpm and then you'd wait and wait for it to start moving. Might take 30 seconds and then it'd start to inch forward gradually getting to a decent taxi speed. Not what everyone is used to today. On gravel you'd pick up more than a few rocks etc causing lots of prop wear.....replaceable metal "petals" were on the leading edge of the prop blades. The "Hawker" as it

was/is called was one heck of a workhorse.

Dave

Hi, Bill. Your explanation is totally right. The aircraft is really sensitive to its gross weight, more than it should I guess, but this solved the issue and now I'm able to control the taxispeed a lot better.

Thanks for your help!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hi, Bill. Your explanation is totally right. The aircraft is really sensitive to its gross weight, more than it should I guess, but this solved the issue and now I'm able to control the taxispeed a lot better.

Thanks for your help!.

Cheers, Ed

Hi Ed. Actually it wasn't totally right - having read Dave's post above where he said it took about 11000rpm to get moving, I suspected I was not reading the RPM gauges correctly!! So I put my glasses on to have a closer look at them and realised my error. The power setting to get moving from stopped is more like 9900rpm, reducing to about 9000rpm to maintain taxiing speed. This is more consistent with Dave's real world experience! My apologies for the incorrect rpm settings I gave in my earlier post.

Bill

Hi Ed. Actually it wasn't totally right - having read Dave's post above where he said it took about 11000rpm to get moving, I suspected I was not reading the RPM gauges correctly!! So I put my glasses on to have a closer look at them and realised my error. The power setting to get moving from stopped is more like 9900rpm, reducing to about 9000rpm to maintain taxiing speed. This is more consistent with Dave's real world experience! My apologies for the incorrect rpm settings I gave in my earlier post.

Bill

Bill, no problem, thanks. It seems I'd need to put my glasses on, too.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

Hi Bill: Wow, good to know about the weight, I wound never have thought of that.

I'll give it a try

-  Roger

I don't remember flap and gear speeds in their entirety. That said VR @ 46500 lbs using 7.5 degrees flaps was 115. On a hot day you'd eat up a lot of ground getting to VR. Max speed for selecting full flaps was 110.... I'm digging deep here. Somewhere here I probably still have a manual on the aircraft. I'll try to find it. Or I'll see if I can borrow on.

As far as getting the aircraft to start moving (taxi) when heavy well it was very slow to start. Power levers were advanced to approx 11000 rpm and then you'd wait and wait for it to start moving. Might take 30 seconds and then it'd start to inch forward gradually getting to a decent taxi speed. Not what everyone is used to today. On gravel you'd pick up more than a few rocks etc causing lots of prop wear.....replaceable metal "petals" were on the leading edge of the prop blades. The "Hawker" as it

was/is called was one heck of a workhorse.

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the helpful information. From your comments above, I'm guessing you used to fly the Hawker in Northern Canada or Alaska (if the Hawker served with any Alaskan carriers?) and I can imagine you must have some good stories from flying it into rough strips! Unlike you I was never lucky enough to pilot the 748 but I had the pleasure of flying on it as a passenger on a number of occasions with both Ryanair and Dan Air. One of the things that struck me about the 748, as you walked across the ramp to board it, was how rugged and sturdy the landing gear looked! I guess that is the reason it found such a useful second life as a workhorse.

Bill

Hi Bill, you're welcome. It was a neat machine. Probably always have a soft spot for it. I was based m Manitoba, Canada when on it. Flew it to most small communities in Manitoba and north have not the arctic. It was a very capable machine. I remember once sitting on the runway in Rankin Inlet (CYRT) just about to go showing 60 knots (no bs) before we brought up the power to take off.....wind was right down the runway, thankfully, Lol. Runway was dry so that made the taxi doable. Wind came up after we'd landed. We were scheduled to go back later that day but chose not to. Lots of memories. Learned lots on it. You could start the day in the sun at 20'c and finish up 1000 miles north at -20'c in a blizzard in the dark.

I'll probably buy this HS748 next weekend.

Dave

Must have been one of the shortest 748 take off rolls ever Dave! Must put that scenario into the simulator and try it for myself!

Bill

Quick update from our end.

We are aiming to have an initial service pack available for the HS 748 later this or early next that will fix 'reported' issues, excluding anything 'subjective' like the texturing.  Main fixes so far will be:

- Rudder pedal animation fixed
- Radio panel blanking plate textures improved
- Feather pump functionality fixed
- More custom-sounds added (GPU, APU etc)

There's also likely to be a few other things included that get completed before the pack is ready.

We've had very few issues reported to us, other than general comments about the overall quality of the add-on on this forum so can I remind you that if there's anything else that you believe needs fixing/updating or is a bug please submit tickets to our support team who will pass them on accordingly and they can be dealt with. http://justflight.com/support.

Thanks All.

Main fixes so far will be:

- Rudder pedal animation fixed

Not trying to be flippant, but how on earth is something this visually obvious and fundamental missed during the beta phase?

• Upvote 1

Even Matlby's BAC and Pyper's HS looked way better than this childly looking VC's.

I bet the systems on both are better then JF's renditions.

Whats wrong with JF ? their Connie and DC3 looked also like this, same developpers I think.

Aeroplane Heaven; passable exterior models, cartoonish virtual cockpits, questionable systems. Not found one product of theirs yet to match David Maltby's or Rick Piper's in terms of systems and VC, and those are freeware getting on for a decade old!

If they were better I would've purchased the HS.748, BAe 125, BAC 1-11 and VC10 by now, but alas they fell short of my expectations every time.

• Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

We are aiming to have an initial service pack available for the HS 748 later this or early next that will fix 'reported' issues, excluding anything 'subjective' like the texturing.

It's not "subjective", it's more likely something not acceptable by today's standards, both exterior and VC.

Additionally, even if the aircraft was very old by the time the different operators were using it, nobody thought to add weathering effects over the exteriors to have it look more "real"?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed