Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Just Flight HS 748 Propliner Released...

Aeroplane Heaven; passable exterior models, cartoonish virtual cockpits, questionable systems. Not found one product of theirs yet to match David Maltby's or Rick Piper's in terms of systems and VC, and those are freeware getting on for a decade old!

To be honest, if flightsim was only about Carenado and Aeroplane Heaven offerings, I would give up on simming completely.  I understand there is a market for 'plausible ' products of mediocre calibre at less than half the price and that's okay.   But it doesn't have the same appeal is it did 10 years ago any longer.

• Upvote 1

I'm the same, I think our tastes have matured along with the simulator; I still remember when the PSS 747 came out for FS2000 and everyone went nuts because it had a proper start up sequence! The first Carenado I can really tolerate has been the recent Do 228 (aside from some of the piston props).

The thing with the HS748 release is you that you have Rick Piper and Fraser McKay's free work to compare it with, and it shows up shortcomings you might not have otherwise noticed but are now incredibly annoying (like the fuel trimmers).

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Not trying to be flippant, but how on earth is something this visually obvious and fundamental missed during the beta phase?

No problem.

The fault wasn't evident during beta testing, it looked fine.  It occured because of a typo that got introduced at final build stage.  Hope that helps.

It's not "subjective", it's more likely something not acceptable by today's standards, both exterior and VC.

Additionally, even if the aircraft was very old by the time the different operators were using it, nobody thought to add weathering effects over the exteriors to have it look more "real"?.

Cheers, Ed

We'll agree to disagree Ed. Plenty of our customers have purchased this and other AH products and are more than happy with them, there are even those in this thread that seem happy with the add-on, so to that degree I do see it as subjective. 

Same time I respect what you're saying and your entitled to that viewpoint, yes plenty of people want better than what is on offer here and the mere fact that this is simulation is always going to leave lots of room for criticism and picking at areas where you would expect much more detail and accuracy. 

We have other products at Just Flight developed by other developers and internal staff that would probably be more of a fit for you, but the fact is they can't be developing every product so here's a range from AH that suits many simmers down to the ground.  Not your bag I get that and would urge you to claim your refund if you're not happy with your lot.  I really don't want to leave you dissatisfied.

• Upvote 2

I flew this aircraft for a couple years... 1998-2000. Full time on it the first year and occasionally the second year. Definitely not overpowered with 1800hp dry/2100hp wet each side and what I flew had the 46500 pound mod for increased T/O weight. Still have a soft spot for this aircraft...the controls were so nice to handle. Under the right conditions it was operated into 2900' of gravel with 10000 lbs of cargo. 2nd segment climb was a lot of times the limiting factor in take off weight. Used to plan 2000 lbs fuel for the first hour and 1800 for the 2nd hr. if I remember right ref at 43000 lbs max landing weight was only 95 kts. Planned cruise was 220 kts. Hope these numbers are helpful for those that bought it. It was a very cool machine.

I will buy this one.

Hello dbw1,

I'm looking forward to your impression of this model, particularly with the flight dynamics. I take it if you were operating off of a 2900' strip you weren't at gross weight? I find this model a little slow to get off the runway (uses too much asphalt) and overpowered in climb. Keep in mind that I've not so much as stood next to a 748 so I'll be very interested in your input. The JF manual says to climb at 160KIAS and one spec I read said 1400FPM initial climb (no weight given). In the JF model if you climb at 1400fpm @ 160KIAS you'll be way back on the power, standard day a few hundred pounds below gross. This seems a bit too hot to me. I also found that mid to high teens at 210KIAS level flight, the nose is very high. I've changed the "cruise_lift_scalar" in the [flight_tuning] section to 1.7. This gives it a more natural AOA in cruise and helps rotate it off the runway as well. Again, all I know about the 748 is what I've read so looking forward to your expertise. No super secret advanced FDE coding on this model far as I can tell so we should be able to tweak the dynamics to get it in the ballpark.

-Bob

Hi Bob,

There's an updated version coming late this week or next....then I'll buy.

2900'.....generally you'd be going in to drop off freight (10,000 lbs +/-)and coming out a lot lighter.

It was used at my company in combi configuration on one sled run that had gravel strips in the 3-4000' range. You'd flight plan to drop off the bulk of freight at the first short place. There were 5 legs and you'd go opposite directions on alternate days. Flight planning especially in the summer entailed an educated guess at what the temperature would be when departing these places. You got good at using runway analysis charts and figuring out accurately what fuel was needed The company never argued about using wet takeoffs when needed and the flight crews did their part that when the gear was up, and soon as safely able the power was brought back to 14,750 rpm to get the water alcohol off line as it caused increased engine wear.

Hot days really affected performance. The leg from Thompson (CYRT) to Churchill (CYQQ - I think), approx 250 mm.....we'd be half way to Churchill buy the time we reached our planned cruising altitude of 13,000'.

Bob....the numbers you mention.....you'd really need to know the temp and aircraft weight. I've got to get hold of a flight manual to review the numbers.

It was my first larger aircraft. No sim for it so we got 8 hours training in the actual aircraft then went out and did the ride. As an F/o you were busy. Every take off there was a full trimmer position to calculate. On take off if it was your leg in addition to flying the aircraft you were also operating the pressurization which was done manually. Dump valve was a lever on the floor buy your right foot that you'd kick closed gradually/gently to the closed position then you'd operate the two pressuration superchargers manually. Everyone in the back new when there was a new f/o up front, LOL. Decent profiles and drag management were important as reducing power completely to idle wasn't permitted as the props would drive the engines and cause gearbox problems. I really enjoyed my time flying it.

Looking forward to getting it.

Dave

Excellent information Dave, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm looking forward to your FDE tweaking suggestions, if any, once you get the model. The testing I've been doing has been at sea level standard day with the climb and cruise under the same conditions about 500lbs below gross. It may be lacking a bit here and there but overall I like it. Not a lot of medium sized turboprops around for FS aside from the F27 and of course the HS748 has even more appeal since they're still used every day in Canada. Some other nice details like the external power unit and baggage cart add to the fun.

-Bob

Hot days really affected performance

Did you guys make use of Water Meth? I know it restored quite a bit of power but I can't recall when the system disengaged, I think it was pretty low?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Water meth as I recall increased power from 1800 to 2100hp. You'd hear it from the engines and the EGT would be higher which was permitted. When power was reduced after take off the system automatically disengaged.

Dave

Any word on the service pack? Thanks.

Dave

Update on Service Pack - has priority at this end, some technical issues delaying bits and pieces, aiming to have it done, tested and released this week.

Sorry for the delay.

Update on Service Pack - has priority at this end, some technical issues delaying bits and pieces, aiming to have it done, tested and released this week.

Sorry for the delay.

One thing that left me a bit iffy, is the engine exhaust and the inside it. As far as i know, they are no that squeaky clean in real life. Just my thought! Otherwise, I like the plane :)

Quick one to let you know the first service pack for the HS-748 Propliner is now available.

Full details here:

http://www.justflight.com/support/hs-748/fd766f3

Following changes are included:

•    Rudder pedal animation - fixed
•    Improved radio panel texture on overhead panel
•    Feather pump switches - fixed
•    GPU and custom sounds (switches etc) missing - fixed
•    EZDOK camera definition removed from aircraft.cfg

Thanks All.

Quick one to let you know the first service pack for the HS-748 Propliner is now available.

Full details here:

http://www.justflight.com/support/hs-748/fd766f3

Following changes are included:

•    Rudder pedal animation - fixed
•    Improved radio panel texture on overhead panel
•    Feather pump switches - fixed
•    GPU and custom sounds (switches etc) missing - fixed
•    EZDOK camera definition removed from aircraft.cfg

Thanks All.

thank you! Downloading! 

Since you are at it, pretty please, with cherry on top, make the exhaust black or much darker/dirtier? 

PS: One thing I would like to show my extreme gratitude, and commend Just Flight for, is the installer. It allows me to install the addon outside of the Prepar3d directory in my own P3D addon folder. Keeping the  installation clean and easy to update. 

So, thank you so very much for that. Things like that, make our life easier ;)