Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

File Format for P3D ?

Hi Folks,

Quick question - what's the "best" (quality vs performance) format for textures in P3D ? Typically - I've been converting my 32 Bit BMP's to DDS... I've noticed many of the payware vendors leaving the files in BMP format - yet they are unreadable in a normal image viewer - what are they using BMP's with DXT5 compression ???

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

since converting to fsx in 06 ive been doing all my paints as dds dxt5

bmp formatted textures arent  24bit hence why they arent view-able in a image viewer as theyre either a dxt or 32bit compression

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

Seems like DXT3 if I recall? DXT.bmp was the utility of choice.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses - yeah - I had thought DXT3 was what we used in FS9 - I didn't know it worked in FSX - I've been using DDS with DXT5 - but as we all know - compression leads to loss - I had thought we might have had an option for a higher quality save...

I've been using ConvImX - I think the program may have been written by the same guy who did DXT/BMP utility - some of the advantages are that it can process files in bulk and it has more options...

Appreciate the help !!!

Regards,
Scott

I gave up on dxtbmp a long time ago, I went thru a stage where I used imagetools.exe in the sdk,

now I use nvidiatools without any concerns of loss of quality, this includes 4096x4096 files that the others struggled with

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

Hi Mathew,

"Nvidia Tools" ??? Now that is a new one on me - - let me go poke around and see what that's all about...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Mathew,

"Nvidia Tools" ??? Now that is a new one on me - - let me go poke around and see what that's all about...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Noting Adobe are giving CS2 away for free, its a photoshop plug that allows you to save psd or psp layerd files directly to dds format with no compression distortion

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA