Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Q on Using HDMI to Yamaha receiver.

I understand that I could use the HDMI out from the video card ( that would have both the video and sound) to a Yamaha receiver to get 5.1 surround DD sound.

The EVGA 1070  has 4 video out... I have another video card in my PC as well

Lets stick to the 1070 for now. I have three monitors hooked up to the 1070 in surround view.    I am using the second video card for a 4th 19" touchscreen

I am thinking of taking the HDMI out from the 1070 to the receiver..even though it may have video content I am only interested in the sound from this out. Or do I simply reroute what I currently going from HDMI to the monitor to the receiver and then connect the HDMI out from the receiver to the same monitor? 

Is this possible? Anything I should be concerned about?

Do any of you have a HT AV Receiver hooked up to your PC? if so how have you done it? 

I want to do this, so I can use regular Hometheater speakers and subwoofer instead of PC speakers.

I got some input from here

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2172101/connect-receiver-surround-sound.html

and here

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a1000_black__u/5115/4208/

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

That will work just fine. The receiver will show up as a monitor and the resolution will be dictated by the receiver. My receiver has a wifi interface so I just set the resolution to 1080 30p. But each receiver with HDMI in will have a default resolution which is designed to handshake with an output monitor. With no monitor attached, the resolution will be the default. In the nVidia control panel, the receiver should be in extend mode with your monitor as the primary video device.

In Windows playback devices, set the receiver's HDMI audio to be the default device. If you have another sound device, you could set it to be the default communication device and use headsets.

If you need help let me know. I probably made it sound more complicated than it is.

The receiver will show up as a monitor and the resolution will be dictated by the receiver. My receiver has a wifi interface so I just set the resolution to 1080 30p. But each receiver with HDMI in will have a default resolution which is designed to handshake with an output monitor. With no monitor attached, the resolution will be the default. In the nVidia control panel, the receiver should be in extend mode with your monitor as the primary video device.

Thx Jay

I have 3 X 24" surround from the 1070 EVGA and another DVI-D output (I could use the HDMI of this second video card too) from the second video card to the 19" touchscreen monitor

So which of the 4 monitors do I send to the receiver? If I pick one of the three (surround view) would it mess it up? 

When I pick HDMI as default audio.. which of the HDMI would it pick to send the audio since I have two video cards.

Manny

This may take a while to get it right. Your cards each have 5 outputs and each card can simultaneously support 4 monitors. Each card has one HDMI. 3 DP and one DVI-D output. Leave all the 4 monitors connected and on the second card use one of the open ports (either DP or HDMI) to connect another cable to the HDMI input on the receiver. If you only have a free DP port then you will need a DP to HDMI adapter. Turn the receiver on and check to see if it shows up in the nVidia control panel.

Next, check on Windows the sound playback devices and set the receiver as the default audio device. Also configure the audio device as 5.1 and test it.

Leave all the 4 monitors connected and on the second card use one of the open ports (either DP or HDMI) to connect another cable to the HDMI input on the receiver.

Thanks Jay.. 

Manny