Sign in to follow this  
ViperXBR

Release MD-11 as Freeware?

Since it's no longer sold nor supported anymore, any reason/chance that this package could be released into the wild as a great freeware FSX add-on?

...Or am I dreaming of a world with pink sky and purple polka-dots?

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

I only bought the FS9 version so would be great to get my hands on the FSX version and try and get it flying on the steam version.

Yepp, and a pretty good PR by them too.

PMDG is like apple. They take take and never give :P

• Upvote 1

Just after LevelD's 757. Actually BEFORE that.

If you knew PMDG, you'd know they're all business. As cold as that.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Just curious about business models in general, not just PMDG. If something is no longer sold or supported then what harm would it do to the business if they gave it away, clearly stating that such a product is no longer supported? Or would the hassle stem from keeping the software available on a server somewhere so that it could be downloaded for free?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Just curious about business models in general, not just PMDG. If something is no longer sold or supported then what harm would it do to the business if they gave it away, clearly stating that such a product is no longer supported? Or would the hassle stem from keeping the software available on a server somewhere so that it could be downloaded for free?

imo, they would get more buyers if they convinced them with an (outdated) model :)!

Here is a good article on "cold" business models like Apple, PMDG, BMW, etc. and why they protect their high-end brand positioning so fiercely (http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/by-introducing-cheaper-iphones-apple-will-lose-its-high-end-position-215056.html).  It was not hard to predict the unintended consequences of the 5c cheaper iphone, which Apple has now recognized.

The same potential for brand erosion and position with the target market could happen with MD11 release as freeware where Robert and team would lose control of many product aspects critical to their high-quality brand position...which could eventually affect the perception of the brand and their success with their core target market.

I would love to see the MD11 released, but there is a reason why Steve Jobs favorite word was "no" and why the most successful businesses protect their brand in what some may perceive as a "cold" fashion.

Roy Holley

What about all of us that bought it when it was released and throughout the years thereafter? I bought the manuals that went along with the release and it would be a slap in the face to me if they were to give it away. I would be extremely disappointed if PMDG were to make the MD11 freeware.

• Upvote 2

\Robert Hamlich/

I would be extremely disappointed if PMDG were to make the MD11 freeware.

Why? You wouldn't have any disadvantage if that would happen. In fact, you already had years of enjoyment with the MD11, I presume, so your investment paid well off. However, I do not expect that PMDG would do anything that would disappoint you ;)

I don't think one can compare BMW with PMDG. You have to have a serious paycheck to afford the former, but PMDG planes are within reach of most dedicated simmers, I presume. In that case, showing a bit of commitment to the community could pay off, I think.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Why? You wouldn't have any disadvantage if that would happen. In fact, you already had years of enjoyment with the MD11, I presume, so your investment paid well off. However, I do not expect that PMDG would do anything that would disappoint you ;)

I don't think one can compare BMW with PMDG. You have to have a serious paycheck to afford the former, but PMDG planes are within reach of most dedicated simmers, I presume. In that case, showing a bit of commitment to the community could pay off, I think.

Peter

I was not comparing prices of BMW and PMDG Peter, just their similar positioning on a brand position matrix (high quality/cost) for their respective markets, and the potential unintended consequences of any decision which does not fully align with that position and brand perception.

Robert's response is a good example of how the loyal core target market might react...such reactions are often unpredictable unless you think through the value proposition for your target customers (which in the case of PMDG, BMW, Apple, et al. goes far beyond the product).

In any event you may well be right in your thinking about that level of community commitment paying off for PMDG...thinking through all these potential consequences is what makes marketing strategy so challenging and so much fun!

Roy Holley

Roy Holley

Yepp, and a pretty good PR by them too.

PMDG is like apple. They take take and never give :P

agreed

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I too agree this would be a good move, and it would follow the example set by several terrific flight sim developers from yesteryear.

However according to PMDG, they jump through the necessary hoops to license their products with the aircraft manufacturer and this, together with other business concerns (investors, agreements with the people who wrote the code, etc.) might come into play and prohibit PMDG from releasing the MD-11 as a freeware product.

Still, it would be nice. In fact, turning it into an freeware, open source product would enable some talented people to continue development and improve on the model.  I just don't know if it's possible to do, and even if it were I personally don't see PMDG doing this.

Best wishes to everyone.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What about all of us that bought it when it was released and throughout the years thereafter? I bought the manuals that went along with the release and it would be a slap in the face to me if they were to give it away. I would be extremely disappointed if PMDG were to make the MD11 freeware.

I do not seek to invalidate your opinion, brother but, me, I don't care.

• Upvote 2

spacer.png