Sign in to follow this  
ViperXBR

Release MD-11 as Freeware?

I purchased the MD11 years and years ago and still fly her...Great aircraft. One of the reasons I still keep FSX.

As for PMDG "giving" her away as share ware, I seriously doubt it. Not because PMDG are mean and cold spirited,(it is Thanksgiving for you US guys) it is simply not good business to give away an electronic product that is no longer popular or supported, as it will undermine the existing products that they sell. 

Also once it is shareware, the licence may change and a big issue then with those who bought it and those who got it free as shareware.

Also, some one may be considering buying a PMDG product. Ummm, should I get the MD 11 as shareware..a bit dated, no support other than the forum, BUT...a great aircraft and FREE...or pay for the 777 or 737 series...yep, the MD11 will do fine. PMDG just lost a sale...or two.

I do believe though, they could still sell it at a discounted price with the knowledge up front no support and "buy as is". Though I am sure PMDG thought about this and a commercial decision was reached to not do this. 

Geoff Bryce

Just an FYI, I did buy this bird a few years back and still love flying it to this day.  I personally would have zero issues with this being released as freeware.  Yes it is dated but it would definitely be a good showcase of how far ahead PMDG were back in the day with the detail and complexity of their aircraft add-ons.

It's just a shame that this aircraft was basically pulled completely out of existence with no chance of any newcomer to the sim world will ever get a chance to try it out.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

Just an FYI, I did buy this bird a few years back and still love flying it to this day.  I personally would have zero issues with this being released as freeware.  Yes it is dated but it would definitely be a good showcase of how far ahead PMDG were back in the day with the detail and complexity of their aircraft add-ons.

It's just a shame that this aircraft was basically pulled completely out of existence with no chance of any newcomer to the sim world will ever get a chance to try it out.

+1

cimgrp - appreciate your insight regarding the business model :cool:

...Ummm, should I get the MD 11 as shareware..a bit dated, no support other than the forum, BUT...a great aircraft and FREE...or pay for the 777 or 737 series...yep, the MD11 will do fine. PMDG just lost a sale...or two....

Not sure about that. Why would I want an MD-11 in my virtual hangar if I love the 777 and want to fly that?

I did think about why not offer the MD11 at a cut price? However, surely that would imply having to have some support in place for the product you've sold given the licences involved? Actually that triggers another question.... how can some online retailers still sell boxed copies (at full price) of the md-11 if there's no support for it....?

Now I'm confused...

I can see the point about buyers being upset if the product they use suddenly get released for free, however, those buyers have already had years of enjoyment  or the product, not to mention support from the developer..

Happens a lot on XBOX Live GOLD - free games each month..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I can see the point about buyers being upset if the product they use suddenly get released for free

A form of Mercantilism...me, I dont care, release it for free.

Would be an EXCELLENT goodwill gesture.

• Upvote 2

spacer.png

MD11 boxes are still being sold around the world (FS9 and FSX) and PMDG of course still support all their MD11 customers.

Does anyone have the link to the official statement that PMDG put out?

My understanding was they were removing this add-on because it was no longer viable, whether it be costs and/or time, to continue to support this product.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

A pity that some consumers might be duped into paying full price for a withdrawn product only to find no official support for it, no any advice to that effect on the seller's site but this is NOT PMDGs fault.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I recall buying the MD11 as a boxed version. I live in Australia, but I happened to be looking online through a discount gaming site in the UK. I wondered if they had any flight sim items..and out of the blue, the MD11 pops up. $38.66 delivered from the UK to Aussie. Seems they were getting out of flight sim, and have since closed down...I was so nervous that first load and registration...but, she was a kosha girl, and been my FEDEX carrier ever since.

Geoff Bryce