Sign in to follow this  
Jackflyer

Some basic REX questions and REX World Wide Airports add on

Searched through various forums but most of the REX posts seem to be dated a  few years back. So could you answer a basic question first. I have REX4 and soft clouds + ASN. I load up ASN then I load REX4 and see the usual start warning that this will overwrite my textures in FSX. Now I tend to use the same theme (at present) each time I start fsx, so do these textures from REX remain overwritten or does FSX revert to original  FSX textures on every startup? In short do I have to load REX4 each time I start up?

My second question is related to the new REX product that I have just purchased ie World Wide Airports.

Can you explain how this product interacts with REX4?  i.e.are the airport runway textures set up in REX4 overwritten by WW airports?

I have just purchased WW airports but not  installed it yet. 

JACK ALLAN

One  you  install  rex4  textures   thats it,  they will remain  your  textures   every  time you load  fsx,  so you don't have  to start rex4  again  till off  course if you want  to change  textures..  Rex4 works  fine  with  wwd   you can  choose  either   rwys  as long  you deselect one  of  the two in the options

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yup Peter has it correct.

Unless you did not backup your pre REX 4 textures, then you will have a backup say of your default FSX textures stored where you indicated should you want to revert to that state.

I personally use REX4 + soft clouds and REX airport textures.  I installed Zinertek HD airports then reloaded my REX texture theme which then gave me my REX airport runway texture selection.

Not sure how WWA works but Im  sure you can use either set of airport textures.  Most likely the ones in WWD are based upon those they have made for REX4 anyway.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Most likely the ones in WWD are based upon those they have made for REX4 anyway.

No Bryan. These airport environments were newly developed for coherency, rather than a pieced together look.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

No Bryan. These airport environments were newly developed for coherency, rather than a pieced together look.

Thanks for clarification.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Where in the Scenic Library is REX World Airports placed?

Nowhere. It's just replacing the textures of default airports.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Thanks for the info folks

I have now installed World Wide Airports (part of the set up is a backup of your existing textures)

I now would like to check on something else.

I have photographic VFR Generation X scenery for all of Scotland  and  separate package for modelling Scottish Airports.

According to the WWA adverts the package does not affect other scenery Ad-ons So I decided to check out my home airport Glasgow I was pleased to see the main elements were okay ie The Glasgow Airport main building has the correct Glasgow signage as did the adjoining multistory car park and the Hotel. However on the airside of the airport the gates had all changed to WWA textures. 

So it appears to be the case that if you buy specific airport packages for specific airports that package could contain some elements that are modelled on default FSX textures and are therefore WWA changed. 

I have also purchased  recently some of the Mega and Xtreme airport packages for specific airports (not delivered yet) will they also be affected by this?

I thought specific packages with relatively accurate 3d models with correct textures and given a higher scenery priority should overwrite REX WWA textures

Any thoughts on this?

Jack Allan

Any thoughts on this?

[/quot

post your issue  at rex  forum  sure  you will get  your answer

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

So it appears to be the case that if you buy specific airport packages for specific airports that package could contain some elements that are modelled on default FSX textures and are therefore WWA changed. 

I have also purchased  recently some of the Mega and Xtreme airport packages for specific airports (not delivered yet) will they also be affected by this?

I thought specific packages with relatively accurate 3d models with correct textures and given a higher scenery priority should overwrite REX WWA textures

Any thoughts on this?

Jack Allan

Of course that can happen. If a scenery designer decides to not include his own textures but rely on the stock ones instead, the REX textures will show up instead. Neither REX nor FSX can know that's not the intent of the scenery after all, all they know is that a texture with filename X and is being requested for display on object.Y or scenery tile Z.

I've not seen it myself with any 3rd party payware scenery, but I guess it can happen.

What I have seen (and this is logical) is that the lighting brightness of addon scenery is affected by what you set in the WWA manager. This makes perfect sense as that brightness is also controlled by a single default texture which WWA replaces. Maybe not all addon airports work that way but all I have do.

sigfile_dva.png

Thanks Peter

Rex have provided the answers to my questions. I now have a much clearer understanding of how texture files work.